Tuesday, April 13, 2010

TAKE a Napa!

"When you're tired, you TAKE a Napa, you don't MOVE to Napa!"
--Carrie Bradshaw, in one of the greatest episodes of Sex and the City ever: I ♥ New York

The high school where I teach has a funny sort of block scheduling in which we skip one period a day. On Tuesdays, we skip 5th period (the last class of the day that I teach), which means that I am technically done teaching by about 11:30. Usually I stick around and work in my office, meet with students, sometimes meet with teachers/my nonprofit/etc . . . but today, I went to Napa!

I'd ordered this pretty BCBG dress from the outlet store, but since I am never home during the day (I live in Oakland/work in San Francisco), it got returned to the Napa store. Which gave me a lovely excuse to head up to the wine country this afternoon! It took less than an hour to get there from work, and when I got to BCBG, not only did I pick up my original dress (which I've designated for this Saturday's PROM!), but I found the perfect LBD and two sweaters for $9 each. WHAT?!

Wanna see??


hello, glittery prom dress! (BCBG Runway, on clearance for $39!)



hello, adorable silk little black dress! (BCBG, on clearance for $39!)

It was a beautiful, sunny, breezy day in Napa, so when I was done at the outlet, I had one thing on the mind: vino. Um, who goes to Napa and doesn't drink some wine? No one, that's who. So I drove five minutes to downtown Napa and stopped at this adorable wine bar/tasting room called Bounty Hunter where the bartender gave me a few too many tastes--"this one's from an oak barrel, this one's from a steel barrel . . . see if you can tell the difference!" (I poured some out, btw)!



Everyone there was so nice and friendly that I just had to buy three bottles of wine. ;) Since it was happy hour, they gave me a 20% discount, so it was all quite the steal. I stopped at the coffee shop on the corner for a soy latte on my way out, and 45 minutes later was in my apartment in Oakland.

All this in a Tuesday? Damn, I love California.

20 comments:

Hope Chella said...

Damn, I want to visit Cali someday over the rainbow! Have you ever been to the Rodney Strong Vineyards? I'm kind of obsessed with their chardonnay :)

xx
Hope

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bananas. said...

wow. after work i don't drive to napa...i take a nap-a! hahaha! i had to...

cute finds lady! that prom dress is divine. kinda vintage looking.

passport in my pocket said...

so awesome, wish I could just dip out and head to Napa for the afternoon! :) And great happy hour deal!

Love those BCBG dresses....

drollgirl said...

SCORE!! and what a fantastic tuesday! i wish i had all that fun today!!!

Jeanette said...

That dress is really great. I love Napa and I don't even drink. Well, went YEARS ago for a friends 30th birthday, may have consumed a bit on that trip, but for the most part I don't, still it is just a special place. Also spent my 10th wedding anniversary there! What a lovely day you had.

Hope Chella said...

Thanks Claire!!!

I love Sound of Music :) haha

Have a great day,
Hope xoxo

Michelle Kendrick Hartney said...

I LOVE that line from Sex and the City!! Cute dresses!

Erika said...

I love that Carrie quote. I've always wanted to visit Napa myself - it sounds so peaceful and beautiful. But not nearly as beautiful as the glittery prom dress - I want!! :)

Heather said...

Tonight I will toast to you and your lovely prom dress!

C'est La Vie said...

i LOVE LOVE that first dress!

Sarah Esther said...

love that BCBG outlet :)

Heather Taylor said...

Your dress finds are terrific!
And you live so close to SF! Best city ever!

Lauren said...

BCBG shoes will be the end of me!

mina said...

that second dress is adorable. bcbg for $39 - what a steal.

ProjectWHAT said...

I love the 2nd dress too. I am in Napa with you next time. Summer! xoxo anna

Tangerine Fairy said...

Love that Carrie quote :) The BCBG dress is a great bargain!

hiking in stilettos said...

Officially jealous. Of the BCBG finds, of Cali, of Napa, of it all! Looks like a great Tuesday!

Bumpkin on a Swing said...

Love the black and gold BCBG dress. Us brunettes have a hard time pulling off the gold, but this one would work for sure. The million Saints fans here, would really dig this one. Thanks for stopping by the swing, It's nice to meet you Claire. I'm Lisa The Bumpkin (not so much a bumpkin other than geographically, I think) hello from Mississippi

undomestic chica said...

Those are great dresses!