Sunday, May 2, 2010

Day Drinking

(Recap of weekend which followed hellish, stressfest week):

Friday: Left school, went straight to the patio at El Rio for my amazing co-worker's AIDS Ride fundraiser happy hour. Had two (strong) vodka sodas, then went to the Small Desk Press reading at Adobe Books in the Mission. Great reading, folks. I always love hearing Marisa read her poems, and Matt was great, and Corry, and Michael, and Lizzy, and everyone. Long freakin' day.

Saturday: So what if you're 8 hours late to the party? That's what I was to my friends' Kentucky Derby party in San Francisco on Saturday . . . but I showed up and quickly joined the ranks of those holding old fashioned cocktails in their right hands. But before I could become properly intoxicated, I started to feel a little sick (sore throat, etc.), so I fell asleep on the futon.

Sunday: After getting a text from my Rug-Boy at 5 am (what??), I couldn't sleep, so drove back home, canceled my babysitting job, took an Ambien, and SLEPT. Upon waking, I chatted with my roommate on our back deck, and determined that my sore throat + the miraculous sunshine only meant one thing: day drinking in the sun! I put on a tank top and a short skirt, drove to BevMo, and bought the ingredients for my new favorite cocktail (which I also imbibed at Doro and Anahita's Kentucky Derby party last night). Here's how today is going so far:

*delicious* banana nut muffins I baked this morning


sweet tea vodka + lemonade = instant happiness

new summer sandals

Sometimes decadence is the way to go. Also, two other exciting/alarming pieces of news:

1. One of my bffs in the whole wide world, Amy Lazzaroni, is in labor! I just got a text from her husband saying that she is 10 cm dilated and Baby Boy Lazzaroni is on his way! I love these people, so I can't wait to meet their little squishball.

2. I just got the news that one of my other bffs, Lane, is dating someone who drives a Hummer. Now we all know that this is all kinds of unacceptable. Help me convince her that this is most definitely a deal-breaker!!

Happy sunshiney Sunday! (cough, cough)


17 comments:

Hope Chella said...

Yay for you enjoying life. I've actually never met anyone that I know of who drives a Hummer!

Jen said...

Sweet tea vodka?! Yes, please! I think a Kentucky Derby party sounds like the perfect way to spend a Saturday :) Did they have mint juleps, too?

Julie (brown eyed belle) said...

Sweet tea vodka is my favorite!! With lemonade! So yummy!

Erika said...

Has the baby arrived yet?!

And ohmigosh Claire I don't know what to be more thrilled about - those banana nut muffins or your scrummy summer sandals!! :)

Claire Kiefer said...

Baby is here! Baby Sam was born today at 3:07 pm! His daddy sent me one (cell phone) pic, but I'm sure there will be more to come (and a celebratory blog post) soon! :)

Micaela said...

man oh man i giggled about the hummer! :) congrats to your dear friends!!!

and those heels? LOVE!!!! they look comfy too and lord we know how much that's a plus!

home baked muffins + vodka?! i KNEW i liked you from the start ;) this just confirms it. Btw, while we were running errands today i listened to your sweet/sad mix... LOVE!!! there was a line from a song that stuck with me: "I'm sure we'll grow but we'll never bloom again."

WOW.... it just stuck with me!! i hope you love my cds as much as i LOVE yours!!! xoxo

Morgan said...

Those muffins are making me hungry! They look so good!
And loving your shoes. :)

Gracie said...

Sounds like a full on weekend! The muffins look delicious and would be perfect for afternoon tea. Yum!

April said...

I have a friend who is in love with sweet tea, but we tried the vodka and it did not sit well.. I'll have to try it again with lemonade!!

Fleur said...

Thank you for your comment, uuum I love banana muffins! Hope you had a good, ours hasn't finished yet it is a public holiday so off lamp shade shopping yeh. Do drop by anytime, come follow me at http://turning-a-leaf.blogspot.com

Heather Taylor said...

Oh, I must try that sweet tea vodka and lemonade, it looks delicious!

Katie said...

I've had the sweet tea vodka before - interesting stuff :)

Cole said...

sounds like such a fun weekend. I did a little day drinking this weekend myself! nothing beats a blue hawaiian while relaxing by the pool. :) I've never heard of sweet tea vodka. SOunds yummy!

bananas. said...

a hummer?! that's the equivalent to someone who wears ed hardy and acts like a UFC fight. can you say d-bag!

you're her best friend, you tell her! haha.

ps. in response to your comment...i think someone else posted that link before. i don't ever read that blog. not one of my favs though the bulldog stuff is cute but mine is cuter. ha!

bananas. said...

UFC fighter* not fight.

tywo said...

Wow! You are so much fun!!

LOVE!

Single said...

Just for the clarification for your friends: I do not like the hummer, but I do like him...I just do not let him drive us anywhere and he has to park in guest parking and not in my driveway! Trust me I have reservations about the hummer....