Saturday, June 12, 2010

Lesson learned

There seems to have been a theme to my trip home to Georgia this time around . . .

about mistakes.

It's so easy to make decisions based on what's important in the moment without thinking about how your actions will affect others (and yourself) down the road. Part of being a whimsical, romantic, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants, intense, emotional, impulsive, passionate person who feels so much is making reckless mistakes, sometimes time & time again. I've been thinking a lot about convergences, and when a certain number of events happen at once, I can't help but think it's a sign, that there's a lesson to be learned.

In the past week:

1. I've spent many hours with four women who've made such bad mistakes that they've spent years in prison, away from their families and their own children (one of whom gave birth while incarcerated--while shackled to her surgical bed--and had to leave her baby at the hospital and return, alone, to prison). I'm certain these mistakes will haunt these women forever.

2. I've made a reckless mistake, and while it isn't anything that will send me to prison or affect my family . . . isn't guilt just the worst feeling in the world?

3. My dear friend is hurting, so badly, because of what many would call a "mistake." I'm so sad for her right now, and I wish I could take away her pain. Oh, how regret eats away at us so relentlessly.

What's the secret to always being the best possible person we can be? To not making mistakes that hurt us and other people?

11 comments:

Faiza said...

oh how we are always trying to be the best version of ourselves...

there has to be something said about self love that in one way allows us to make mistakes and in another gives us the power to forgive ourselves too.

Jen said...

What a great post! Amazing how we always try to do our best and make the right decisions but sometimes that doesn't happen. But we try :-)

Diana Mieczan said...

I think its a part of the life...We try to make good decisions but sometimes we make mistakes too....The most important thing is that we do our best!!!
Kisses darling and I hope you are enjoying your Sunday:)
Big Hug:)

Sadako said...

Great post--sometimes we do just make the wrong choices.

Summer {Bisfor...} said...

unfortunately mistakes are necessary, aren't they?

thank you for this.

Bumpkin on a Swing said...

We all have our mistakes, and I too believe they help to mold our futures. Don't be too hard on yourself, just move on from it, and remember the guilt you felt, only if the same situation arises again.

Heather Taylor said...

I really believe we should just take each day at a time and just treat one another with respect and dignity. Making mistakes is a part of life and we can't avoid it. If we make mistakes, we grow from them and learn too.

drollgirl said...

it drives me crazy when people say they have no regrets. bullshit! i think that is impossible. we all make mistakes, and the key to life (in my perhaps annoying opinion) is learning from the mistakes and finding ways to move on. we are all works in progress and have to keep trying.

sorry if this all seems cliche!

chelsea rebecca said...

this is such a great and honest post!
sometimes the guilt is worse than the actual consequence or outcome.
its so easy to regret. and honestly i don;t know how people don't have regrets. i've made a billion mistakes that it would of been nice if i didn't make all of them.. haha!

Erika said...

Ugh! Guilt and mistakes kill me - literally. I feel like, when we live in the moment, we are always at risk of making mistakes that can change our lives forever as we know it; yet when we plan everything out, we lose the true spirit of life. Maybe mistakes are inevitable sometimes - as long as they are ones that aren't too risky. :/

JenRem said...

Ouch, mistakes are never fun... but they are a part of our lives and help us grow. Without them we would not be living.
I don't have much advice for you here, just live as you want to live BUT be ready to accept the consequences and guilt that may come with some actions. For as hard as this may be sometimes, always think before you act, especially if that action will affect others.
I have made a lot of mistakes in my life (all within the law though), but I feel no guilt or desire to change them now. Although they might not have been the smartest thing at the time, they have helped mold me into the person I am today. So try not beat yourself up too much over this mistake :)