Thursday, June 3, 2010

Poetry, Prosecco, and Pretty Girls

So my favorite day of the week is Wednesday. Why Wednesday? Cause that's the day I get to see my Cobras!

The Cobras:

Claire Ali Diana

We all went to grad school together to get our ever-practical Masters of Fine Arts in Creative Writing (ha), and since then have been the best of friends! I love these two beauties . . . (seriously, aren't they so pretty?)!

Every Wednesday evening (with rare & devastating exception), the Cobras gather at my house and drink wine and eat dinner and workshop our poems from that week. The three of us take turns coming up with the assignments. Last week was my turn, for instance, and since we were going to have to skip a week (horrifying!), I assigned two poems:

1. Write a sestina, pantoum, or villanelle;
2. Pick a "mentor poet," read 30 poems from him/her, and write a poem that is inspired by your poet

But our lovely Ali just moved into a ridiculously gorgeous, serene house in the Oakland hills with her boyfriend, so we packed up and had a little Cobra field trip to her new digs . . . OMG:


I mean for real??

Those of you who live in cities understand how rare it is to have this kind of amazing beauty and space at home. Fountains! Yards! And what's that in the top left?? A HOT TUB.

We sat outside and had some okra & brie, and also some of this:

let's just say we finished both bottles . . . and only two of us drink

It was amazing. Ali cooked us a lovely dinner, we drank aplenty, and we discussed our poems. Next Wednesday I'll be in Georgia, and although I'm so excited to see my family . . . I'll be missing my Cobras. xoxo.

19 comments:

Jeanette said...

I think girl friendships are vital to our lives. I hope all three of you beautiful ladies are able to continue this tradition for a long time. Would love to read some of the poetry.

Diana Mieczan said...

It’s so great to have best girlfriends...They look stunning!!! You are such a lucky girl...That house is beautiful and Ali is so lovely...
Kisses my dear traveller...Enjoy your Day :)
BTW: I am following you darling!!!!

Heather Taylor said...

I love it! My girlfriends and I make sure to get together each week too, though we dance at the club more than write poetry, haha. That backyard is gorgeous!

Lyka Kalabaw said...

Nice post i like it, keep posting and happy blogging.... and If you want too, kindly and please visit my blog http://www.lyka.com/ thank you in advance.

Meghan said...

What an awesome tradition! And HELLO, amazing yard! Your friend lives in paradise!

bananas. said...

HOLY CRAP her home is GAH-ORGEOUS!!! i love homes in the hills. they have the most beautiful yards and greenery. does she own??? i'm jealous!

ps. can you tell me the name of that burlingame salon that does brazilian blowouts? i'm going to check them out b/c that price is to good to pass up!

Farah said...

that place is huge!! dayumn!!

J. said...

I love this tradition! (AND THAT YARD!!)
I wish my girlfriends lived closer to me... I'd like to believe we'd have very similar weekly meetings! :)

Len♥reNeverM♥re said...

How lovely to have tight group of girlfriends...
Gorgeous garden!
xo

Erika said...

Oh, I want to be a Cobra! Your relationship with one another makes me think of Sex and the City - so fabulous!! :)

drollgirl said...

i wish i was a cobra! wow! you guys must have a blast every time you meet up! wine, cheese, fab friends and the perfect setting!? GLORIOUS!!!

Heather said...

oh! i miss you girls! wish i could have gone to your reading recently. big love.

Katy Mary said...

wow what a nice house! Jealous. I'm a big prosecco fan too. Sounds like such a fun time, it's great to have super close girlfriends!

Rasha said...

Happy Friday!

Phoenix Peacock said...

holy cow I want a house like that!

Annie Cristina said...

You have amazing friends. Boo, none of my girlfriends are into writing poetry. Or drinking wine, for that matter. Can I join your group? ;)

Have a great weekend and congrats on turning your final grades in!

Rasha said...

On your comment on my blog: Im on summer vaycay, and only work like 3-5 days a week (like 6 hour shifts) so lots of time for reading :)!

shari @ little blue deer said...

Oh, that is so sweet! Sounds really fun, here's to intelligent poetry girls! Have a wonderful weekend! XO!

hiking in stilettos said...

This is such a fun tradition! Girlfriends have a way of simultaneously inspiring you, encouraging you, and taking the weight of the world off your shoulders. There's nothing like it!