Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Thank you Micaela!

It's so rare that we meet someone and instantly connect to them in a deep, profound way. Someone whose soul is clearly so similar to our own, who is moved by the same things, makes the same mistakes, experiences the same love, and giddiness, and excitement, and sorrow. These connections are SO SPECIAL to me!

Which is why I cherish my friendship with Micaela so much.

Most of you who follow my blog probably follow hers as well, but if not, then go to her page immediately and experience how beautiful, thoughtful, open, and full of heart she is!

Imagine my delight when I found this on my doorstep yesterday morning:


My excitement made me squeal! I was on my way to a stressful, long afternoon at San Francisco City Hall, to once again beg the Budget Committee to reconsider funding my job. But when I opened Micaela's package in my car before I drove off, I was too amazed to be worried about the meeting . . .

Micaela just finished reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. Everyone says that this book is all about the timing--where you are in your life when you read it--and Micaela was at the exact right place. There's a line in the book about how snails carry their homes with them wherever they go, so she got me this sweet glass snail, and included a note that said: "from one snail to another . . . "

For years, I've been enamored with the relationship between Anais Nin and Henry Miller. There have been so many times in my life when I've been so inspired and/or comforted by reading Anais Nin's journals--especially the parts about her illicit, romantic, wonderful, and destructive relationship with Henry Miller. Can you believe Micaela found this tank top for me at one of her favorite online boutiques?? It's perfect! (Excuse the poor quality of the picture, though--it's hot pink!)

Coffee from her favorite local cafe, and an old mug . . . I'm drinking the coffee right now and it's delicious! I might be hooked.

Micaela remembered that I'd written a blog post about wanting some new art for my dining room wall, so she got me this incredible, perfectly-me print. Two (of many) reasons why it's so perfect: 1. My favorite art is that which incorporates text; 2. It's written by THE American female poet. :)

M and I are both nostalgic about our home states (I'm from Georgia; she's from Texas). She sent me this adorable Georgia plate--can't decide whether to hang it on my wall or use it as a serving platter or put my perfumes on it or what! Whatever I do with it, I LOVE it (and everything that reminds me of home).

Micaela loves all things Italian, and we both love all things love . . . I fell asleep too abruptly to start this book last night, but I can't wait to start reading it today.

Just as much as I love all those incredible gifts, I love these sweet notes that M included with each of them. We're both writers/talkers/explainers, and I love that she so sweetly wrote little explanations to go with each present. ♥


I can't stop gazing at all of these wonderful gifts from my darling friend. My heart is so full and grateful today; thank you so much sweet Micaela!

20 comments:

Everton Terrace said...

What a friend. So much thought and care put into each one. Warms the heart. It's been of bevy of bad news for me this week, nice to read something to make me smile. The snail cracks me up. The tray - perfumes - love it.
"A man is known by the company he keeps" - you appear to keep good company Claire.

Hope Chella said...

I went to school with the girl Alli Coate who made that print you have, I remember doing bible study with her (I haven't been as holy in awhile, but anyways!!!!)...This is such a sweet present and trust me, sad to say, I hear you on the frustrations of your job and lack of funding. I will find out at the end of the week what next year will bring for me and in the meantime have been actively researching art advocacy sites...It's a struggle...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog and I'll head over to Micaela's now :-)

xoxooxox
Hope

Micaela said...

oh darling, this post made my day!!! and trust me, i've been needing something to make my day. I am sooo thrilled you loved everything Claire because seriously? i had SO MUCH fun finding the perfect things for you and it was quite easy! why? because we are SO alike!

i mean what are the odds that the snail quote was in the book that changed my life AND the article you sent me from vogue?!

we were destined to meet, you and i.

thank you for everything sweetest girl!!! beyond words, i'm blessed to know you.

xoxo

(Hope, that is so crazy how you know Alli! what a small world. she is lovely!!!)

Farah said...

Micaela is the best! And hope things go well with your job. ;)

xoxo

chelsea rebecca said...

oh my goodness this is just the greatest!
micaela is so sweet! and so wonderful!
i love how she wrote notes explaining each gift. and that tank top is the coolest!

Diana Mieczan said...

That is such sweet post and such a special friendship...I am so amazed by you both and all the things you share :) it’s a true gift to find someone so special in a friend :)
Kisses sweetie and that snail is so sweet...I read that book and it’s true...it’s all about the timing....I had my time too :)
Muah

Faiza said...

this post made me so happy. i love the connections that blogging gives you. who says blog friends are not real friends?

drollgirl said...

what an amazing friend! super friends (pardon the expression) make the world a waaaaaaaaaaay better place. :)

Hope Chella said...

Claire, I want to email you!

I can't find it here but just found out that my city will be cutting $500K this year and that may affect my job and the coming years...Brilliant, right?

For better or worse:
hopechella@gmail.com

xx

bananas. said...

awww how sweet! she's definitely a keeper!!! haha.

Summer {Bisfor...} said...

darlin micaela. she did so well. you are both so lucky to have such a lovely connection!

danielle and dinosaur toes said...

micaela is really sweet, and she puts together great packages!

thanks for you compliment on my blog! it's always nice to hear i look young, because all i see when i look in the mirror are frown lines and i feel so old sometimes!

FourJedis said...

What a thoughtful gesture. That looks like it would be something very fun for Micaela to put together... probably as much fun as it was for you to open it! :) Great friends like that are hard to come by!

Jen said...

I love the snail and the meaning behind it! Perfect. I'm giving you an award on my blog tomorrow, because I'm just loving you lady! :-)

JenRem said...

Micaela is the greatest. Like for real - no one is above her in the blogging world.

Erika said...

It's official...Micaela is one of the most amazing people on the planet. What a sweet surprise!

AND...I adore you for your comment. I didn't even realize that I hadn't included the link. Thank you, thank you, thank you for letting me know!! :)

Dancing Branflake said...

Oh wow! What an awesome friend! I am glad that the meeting was successful and you had the boost of confidence from such an amazing person.

jozen said...

micaela is truly the sweetest!

blueeyedfreckle said...

yes! you should definitely get these shoes. I have never been able to run until now. I love them. but you do have to build up your stamina in them, well not stamina, but you have to get your feet used to them so that the muscles can strengthen as they learn how to run "barefoot."

oh and what a nice friend to send you all those personal things!!! jealous!

Every Little Counts said...

ah, micaela told me she as buying the "henry & anais" tank for a friend so it's so nice to meet you! i love seeing where my t-shirts end up, and i especially love it when i find someone else who loves henry & anais as much as i do. i think almost every single page of every one of anais' journals are underlined!

enjoy!

xo,
amy