Monday, June 28, 2010

Thanksgiving, a few months early

My dear bloggy friend Faiza has a blog that she calls a "gratitude journal," which is just as lovely as it sounds. I get so excited when I see a new blog post from her; inevitably, I feel better after I read her posts, no matter what my mood was prior. Faiza recently did a guest post at The Perfect Compilation Tape in which she highlighted five things she's grateful for, and encouraged everyone to play along. Here is Faiza's original post (read it, seriously, this woman inspires me!), and here is my own version:

Five Things I'm Grateful For:

5. Summer is Here!
I've always loved summer, and living in California has only nurtured my love for beach season. Being a teacher (and a teacher with a second job, at that!), I'm so busy during the school year that I rarely have time for relaxation in the months between September and May. Thus, June, July, and August are all about languor, and I love it! Plus, my birthday's in August. I share a birthday with this legend:


So far my summer's been about visiting family and friends, lounging by the pool, waking up slow, and drinking good coffee (plus ambushing City Hall to give me my job back, but that's circumstantial!). On the horizon: days at the beach, drinking beer on patios with friends, summer playlists, reading & writing.

4. Blog Friends
When I started this blog on January 1, it never occurred to me that anyone I didn't know would read it, or that I'd become attached to girls across the country (and the world!) whose blogs I love to read. It's pretty amazing how that happens, and some of the connections with lovely women I've made are incredible! Here are some of my very favorite blogs to read . . . with the disclaimer that you already know that I love my long-time-friends-from-childhood, Lesley at Homemade Grits and Christina at Down & Out Chic:

Micaela at Dolce Vita
Marianne at Royal Mail
Hope at Hope Chella
and you know who is so nice? Jeanette at Everton Terrace

There are plenty more that I will continue to share with you, but that's a pretty good preliminary list. Please go check out those blogs! They're all wonderful, entertaining, and beautiful.

3. Music
My current obsession?


I love summertime playlists! More to come on that front.

2. Forgiveness
I'm really not talking about any one specific situation here, but I have been thinking a lot about forgiveness--how we forgive others, and perhaps most importantly, how we forgive ourselves. This is one area in which I'm definitely working on myself . . . trying to be all about compassion, understand why others (and I) behave the way they/we do, and forgiving. I think it leads to happiness! I've spent far too much of my life feeling hurt by others--seems if I can just cloak myself in compassion and understanding, I'll be able to breathe, forgive, and be happy and peaceful. Maybe all this is coming from working with prisoners--a population who, sometimes, society neglects to forgive.

1. Family & Friends
(There's too much cross-over for these to be two separate categories)! At the beginning of the summer, I got to visit my family in Georgia (and some of my oldest friends), and there's just nothing like that feeling of being home. No sooner had I gotten back to San Francisco was I down in southern California visiting my dear friend Amy!


Newport Beach, y'all

And on that note, I'm off to meet another bff for a champagne brunch in Berkeley. Big toast to gratitude!!

19 comments:

danielle and dinosaur toes said...

oh, i would LOVE to live in california during the summer. okay, actually i'd love to live there any time of year, who am i kidding?!?!?

Diana Mieczan said...

I have my Bday in August too:) How fun! I have to check those blogs and I love your list...I am going to make a list like that too:)Have a wonderful time with you friend,sweetie:)
Muah and thank you for putting a smile on my face with this lovely post:)

Katy Mary said...

What a sweet post :)

Heather {A Measure Of...} said...

...and I'm grateful for you! Forgiveness, yes, just might be the key to happiness. We all could use a little more of it, especially when it has to do with forgiving ourselves.

You are so loved!

Phoenix Peacock said...

I've been meaning to do this also. I think i might have to make it my post for tomorrow!!

Micaela said...

Claire this makes me happy!!! (and NOT JUST BECAUSE i was included on a wonderful list of fabulous girls)

i just had to do mine after reading yours because it does feel so good to remember to be thankful for the things that make us smile.

i need a san fran vaca soon! ;)

thinking of you beautiful girl!!! we need to catch up. xoxo

ps. #2... yes.

love you!

Faiza said...

I love this. LOVE IT! Thank you for all your sweet words and for validating an action that is so important to me.

I just wrote down the word "forgiveness" on my to do list. This is something I really need to explore more and I am so GRATEFUL for you for surfacing that for me.

Love, love and love to you.

FourJedis said...

Beautiful post. I will have to check out all of those blogs tomorrow. A good friend of mine just announced his cross country move from SC to Monterey. Such a beautiful part of the country, but a lot of this country is beautiful. You're a great Words With Friends opponent!

Natalie

bananas. said...

ooh a champagne brunch! fun stuff!!! where might i be able to have a champagne brunch too???

love this list and i feel very honored to be a part of it.

have a great week darling! xoxo.

Dancing Branflake said...

Yay for gratitude and I love Berkeley so much! I love that you put your friends as number one. That shows a lot about you.

Miss Caitlin S. said...

Yup, she's got a good lis there! I'm with her on Summer and family and friends and blog friends! I love getting to know people in blog land :)

Meghan said...

I couldn't agree more - Faiza inspires me on a daily basis! And I love that you added "forgiveness" to your list because it's something I am currently struggling with:)

We are so fortunate as teachers to enjoy the summer months!

its simple love said...

Having a grateful heart makes all the difference in the world! I am so thankful for blogger friends (among other things) as well! The comments and support mean the world to me. So thank you for always being supportive and leaving such sweet comments. I hope you have an amazing day. Looks like you've hard a great start!

Rachael

p.s. Be sure to enter my $50 CSN store giveaway!

Megan said...

Faiza is amazing all her posts remind me to take count of how lucky and blessed I am. This is a lovely post, the last two weeks have definitely reminded me how important friends and family are.

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

It's so amazing how many wonderful people we can meet from blogging. People who share their life with us through the contents of their blogs. I heart Mayra's blog too. =)

Heather {A Measure Of...} said...

dearest, I finally got around to making a little list too. Yay!

http://ameasureof.blogspot.com/2010/07/friday-thank-you.html

big love to you!

Bumpkin on a Swing said...

Love, Hope, Mayra, Summer and Julie, and that you are leading to more like them. I will have to stop by and check them out.
Hope you are having a blast of a holiday, and find a little time for you!
Thanks for all your recent support, Claire, it means the world to The Captain and I.

Felicity said...

I can totally relate to the sentiment expressed in #4. I had no idea that blogging would be an impetus for these great friendships to blossom.

hiking in stilettos said...

Aw, shucks. I'm blushing!

I have loved catching up on these last few posts and learning more about you! I am so glad that I found your blog as well and hope one day we can meet in Atl! I am sure Lesley would love it! :)