Saturday, July 3, 2010

Moving Day

but not for me! I've lived in my apartment in Oakland (just across the Bay Bridge from San Francisco) for 4.5 years . . . longer than I've lived anywhere since I lived at my parents' house. Let's see . . . I moved out of my mom's house in Marietta, GA just after I turned 18 and, not including two different dorms during college, I've lived in eight different apartments since then. Lots of different bedrooms, lots of different roommates, and five different cities: New Orleans, San Francisco, Miami, Burlington (Vermont), and Oakland.

Today a bunch of us convened to help my dear friend Meagan move from her apartment in Berkeley to another place just a mile or so away in Oakland (closer to me--yay!). Moving is such a strenuous feat! Fortunately, there were more than ten of us, so we got the job done quickly (and then immediately proceeded to hang out and BBQ and play games in her front yard). Bringing all her boxes and furniture and belongings filled me with a desire to purge and organize my own place . . . even if I'm not moving anytime soon.

When I talked to my mama on the phone today, she said they'd helped my sister and her husband move this weekend as well. Lots of shifting lately.

2.
On a completely different note, here are a few more blogs I love for those of you looking for more amazing sites to follow:

(Heather and I met my first semester of grad school, and she's remained one of my best, closest friends ever since then, even though she lives across the world now!)

(I wish I knew her in real life . . . HILARIOUS)

(she's a doll, and such an organized blogger!)

Danielle at Dinosaur Toes
(she's adorable)

I'm gonna keep sharing blogs I love as I think of them/discover them, cause I always like knowing who y'all are reading and loving! There are a lot more that I read every day than those I've mentioned, but this is just a start. And if you missed my Gratitude post the other day, click here for my first list of blogs I love. :)

3.
I've been in such a funk today . . . probably due to uncertainty about my job, my relationship ending, and missing lots of friends . . . but we can't always explain these things, can we? But then today I got to hang out with this little guy and things immediately started to look up:


Judebug at exactly four months

4.
The 4th of July always makes me think of this poem by David Baker:

Patriotics
David Baker

Yesterday a little girl got slapped to death by her daddy,
out of work, alcoholic, and estranged two towns down river.
America, it's hard to get your attention politely.
America, the beautiful night is about to blow up

and the cop who brought the man down with a shot to the chops
is shaking hands, dribbling chaw across his sweaty shirt,
and pointing cars across the courthouse grass to park.
It's the Big One one more time, July the 4th,

our country's perfect holiday, so direct a metaphor for war,
we shoot off bombs, launch rockets from Drano cans,
spray the streets and neighbors' yards with the machine-gun crack
of fireworks, with rebel yells and beer. In short, we celebrate.

It's hard to believe. But so help the soul of Thomas Paine,
the entire county must be here--the acned faces of neglect,
the halter-tops and ties, the bellies, badges, beehives,
jacked-up cowboy boots, yes, the back-up singers of democracy

all gathered to brighten in unambiguous delight
when we attack the calm and pointless sky. With terrifying vigor
the whistle-stop across the river will lob its smaller arsenal
halfway back again. Some may be moved to tears.

We'll clean up fast, drive home slow, and tomorrow
get back to work, those of us with jobs, convicting the others
in the back rooms of our courts and malls--yet what
will be left of that one poor child, veteran of no war

but her family's own? The comfort of a welfare plot,
a stalk of wilting prayers? Our fathers' dreams come true as nightmare.
So the first bomb blasts and echoes through the streets and shrubs:
red, white, and blue sparks shower down, a plague

of patriotic bugs. Our thousand eyeballs burn aglow like punks.
America, I'd swear I don't believe in you, but here I am,
and here you are, and here we stand again, agape.

16 comments:

Erika said...

As much of a hassle that moving is, I absolutely love it as it feels as if you are beginning a new chapter of your life. Meagan is lucky to have had you there to help her move!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the shoutout - you are the absolute sweetest. I'm off to check out the rest of these blogs right now.

Happy, Happy 4th of July!! :)

Jen said...

So glad you gave a shoutout to Drollgirl! I love her!! I've been following her for the longest time and would recommend her blog to anyone!

As for all the changes in your life, girl, i'm right there with ya! Lately, all the changes in my life have been a bitch and i'm just want something to go right or at least just some staiblity. There's a quote that says "my life feels like it's permantently under construction" and that's exactly how I feel! Glad to see i'm not the only one in chaos sometimes ;-)

Love ya girl!

Jen said...

Catching up on blogs and drinking a little caffine always puts me in a good mood! As for the rest of our lives? I sure hope things go well for both of us! They just have to!! :-)

its simple love said...

I can't wait to move! ha ha. We are saving up for a down payment... I am counting down the days. Love the blogs you spotlighted! i will have to check them out.

Rachael

Dancing Branflake said...

Hope all turns out for you. I love Droll Girl and Erika.

MyLittlePhotographs said...

Junebug is soooooo cute!

Diana Mieczan said...

Thank you for sharing those blogs I am going to have a look:) I adore blog love!!!! I love moving...We moved a lot too but for now it seems like we found the right spot for us:)
Kisses sweetie and I hope you will have a wonderful and happy day:)
Muah

Gracie said...

Moving can be such a pain! It's been nearly 6 months for me and I still don't feel settled. And the home is still such a mess.

And Junebug is soo precious. Look at that smile :)

Anna Walker said...

Heyyy thanks for stopping by my blog, I live in the central coast, the San Luis area, like a half hour away from the ocean! I am not sure if you know where that is.

drollgirl said...

girrrrrrrrrrrrl, you have lived in a lot of places! moving is SO MUCH WORK, but it is worth it if you move to a nicer place that feels homey. homie? hahahahahah

i used to move every year or so in the college years, but it has been nice to live in the same place for about 6 years (except for my TWAT LANDLORD).

thank you so much for linking to me. you are so sweet, and i'm really not that thrilling in real life, so count yourself lucky that you know me only via blogging. :)

hope you start feeling better soon. break ups are pretty much soul crushing. but the day you really start feeling better and moving on is SUCH A RELIEF. things do get better.

Heather {A Measure Of...} said...

Deary! I know how you feel, I have been in a little funk and totally missing/nostalgic lately too! Oh, you will soon find out more, but via snail mail :)

I love that your friend had 10 friends to help her move! Moving is one of the most difficult things, though for me it feels so good to purge and clean up! I remember counting how many times I'd moved in my life using strings of mardi gras beads, and the magic number was 21! Say what? and that was before I even left the good ole USA! Plus we just decided to move into a better built house here too. I think we're moving on the 20th!

And thank you so much for the sweet plug! Big love to you and hope you're feeling better!

bananas. said...

i LOATHE moving but like you i've moved a lot too...not cross country though. i hope i never have to do that. haha.

LOVE drollgirl. like for real she's my favorite blogger. already told her that a million and a half times. she probably thinks i'm a big freakazoid.

hope you had a fabulous 4th darling! and stay safe in oakland this week.

Miss Caitlin S. said...

Yes, moving is a daunting, daunting, daunting task!!!! Very nice of you to help with so many. Love your blog shoutouts- I agree that Erika is an insanely organized blogger... well said. Love her. Also- that poem was very interesting and requires a lot of thought to process the lines. I love food for thought. I do know though that on the 4th, I try to see what the US means to me and what it has provided for me, and that has been plentiful. :) I hope you're enjoying your Sunday! PS Judebug is so cute.

Felicity said...

You lived in VT? Or as I like to call it, "heaven on earth." : )

Bumpkin on a Swing said...

I didn't know you were a Georgia belle, and a New Orleans Lady, must be why I love ya so.

Life's about changing nothing ever stays the same......

bananas. said...

hey lady...so to answer your question(s):

1. if i don't blow dry it i can still go about my day and look decent. some hairs might stray here and there but it's a HUGE improvement to what my hair normally does when it's natural (pre-BB).

2. my hair was stick straight when it was first done. about a week into it i started to see the volume come back which i actually like. the super straightness made my hair feel really thin and i was washing it daily as opposed to every other day.