Friday, August 20, 2010

Friday I'm in Love!



Whew! Today marks the end of the infamous first week of school, so needless to say . . .

1. I'm in love with the Happy Hour that awaits me at Cha Cha Cha in the Mission in just a few short hours!

I'll be here

drinking this


2. I'm in love with all the beautiful birthday mail y'all have sent me. More on that later. Just know it's made my week so much more fun. The happy birthday gifts I've received in the mail this week include but aren't limited to: the prettiest and Claire-est postcard collage I've ever seen, a weighted hula hoop, a sweet, sentimental necklace, Sprinkles cupcake mix from the famous Southern California shop, a tiny colander, flowers, and a gift card to my favorite store (the two weirdest things on that list were from my mama). I'll share pics soon!


3. BOOKS. Now that I've finished Friday Night Lights, I've picked up an old habit again . . . reading! I'm revisiting Surviving Justice right now, as I'm preparing to shape my interviews into personal narratives. Surviving Justice is the first book in the Voice of Witness series, and is a collection of narratives from people who were wrongfully convicted, served time in prison, and were exonerated. You can order it by clicking the link above . . . it's a pretty unforgettable book.


After I'm done with this (again), I'm going straight to Catching Fire, the second book in the Hunger Games series. (I'm all about teen lit these days, ha!). I tell you what: Hunger Games was so good. All the adrenaline and excitement of *other* popular YA book series, but without the horrid, cliche-ridden, angsty, somewhat misogynistic writing (I'm talkin' to YOU, Twilight!).



4. This:

love letters sheet set from Anthropologie

It's pretty much everything I love in one: text, love, gorgeous sheets, romance, ohmygoodness. Do you think my interest in everything bed-related has something to do with school starting back up? Ha. Just a wild guess.

Check out my girl Summer B. to play along and tell us what you're in love with!

19 comments:

bananas. said...

how funny! dave and i were just discussing cha cha cha. we plan to go for happy hour hopefully next week or the week after. how cool would that be if we ran into each other?!

have a good weekend lady! drink a sangria or two for me while you're there.

Summer {Bisfor...} said...

a weighted hula hoop? now that could be a lot of fun AFTER happy hour.

Happy belated darlin! Keep checking your mailbox!

drollgirl said...

lots of love going on here!

i would like a pitcher of sangria! care to join me?! hahahahah

we have cha cha cha restaurants here, too. not sure if they are the same? the paella and sangria are yum-EEEEEEEEEEE!

Melissa said...

Love letter sheets?! Oh, Anthropologie, you make me happy once again.

Lauren Nicole said...

hey! what's wrong with twilight??! haha jk, to each her own, esp. in reading. :]

congrats on getting through the first week of school alive!

your email isn't on your profile and i meant to say this in a different blog post comment, but email me your address (l.nicolephotos@gmail.com) and i'll send you a little something!

and, oh my gosh, didn't you just die at the sight of that anthro bedding?! when it came into my inbox earlier this week, i fell head over heels.

<3 <3
- L

La Boheme said...

Just drove by Cha cha cha yesterday but I've actually never been! Must do that soon and maybe I will see you there. Have fun tonight!
btw the bedding from Anthro is serious LOVE. xoxo

~KS said...

Love letter sheets?!?! I totally want those...

And I want to read that Surviving Justice book. Sounds beyond amazing!

So jealous of your happy hour... hope you're slurring your words and giggling uncontrollably by now :)

Happy weekend!

Leesh said...

Friday Night Lights is such a good show. The theme song or music, always gets to me. When the music starts, my heart melts. I can't wait for the next season. I hear it's the last so, I am hoping for a big reunion.

Gracie said...

Glad you had such a wonderful birthday!!

Oh yay I adore the Hunger Games love and I completely agree with your comment!! I love YA book lol

And your sheets are AMAZING! I would just looovveee to get them. x

Phoenix Peacock said...

YAY for surving school, happy hour, and your birthday.

Also - I'm so glad to have someone else really interested in jails and the justice system from a humanitarian perspective, because I am adding your books to my reading list. I can't wait to take a look at them!

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

Love letter sheets!?! I want!

Erika said...

A love letters sheet set? Gah! Why did you tell me about these? Now I feel compelled to buy them immediately! Have you ever before in your entire life seen something so adorable and clever?! Ummm...no!! :P

Annie Cristina said...

Oh my gosh, I want that sheet set SO bad!!! My birthday *is* coming up, so maybe I should drop some well-placed hints... Thanks so much for blogging about it!

Heather {A Measure Of...} said...

Sheets are awesome! And yay for all your bday mail! :) Plus, just generally to say how you inspire me so! I am so proud of you and the work you're doing on VoW. You are truly a remarkable woman.

I'm reading What It the What right now, and I keep thinking about--as you know I always have--stories, memories and the idea of witness, and of you! And this amazing project you're working on. I mean you have chosen so many scary and amazing paths, and here you are, even sometimes in the midst of uncertainty, doing some of the most important things you can do in this life! All your journeys up to this point are bubbling up to fruition, and I feel sure that this is going to keep opening doors and new paths for you. I guess the same be said for all of us, but it's just that I think what you're doing is so damn important. Love to you, my dear!

Meghan said...

Did I just see sangria and Sprinkles in the same post???? A girl after my own heart!

I hope you had the most incredible birthday celebrations!

Kara said...

Mmmmm, happy hour. I've had a lot of great drinks this weekend (mostly beer - I'm kind of a beer connoisseur lol) but sangria wasn't one of them. It should have been! Correcting that tonight :)

kittycat said...

that sheet set is so beautiful!!

sharonlei said...

Fabulous things to be in love with!!

Sam & Libby's definitely take me back too! Those were the only type of flats my mom would buy me. They were the best. I actually found the pair I'm wearing at my local thrift shop... IN BRAND SPANKING NEW CONDITION! No wear and tear at all and it smelled new and leathery buttery softness. Yes, I had to smell it.. I'm sure that's pretty disgusting, but since it looked so new, I didn't feel too gross about it. ha ha. Not only are they comfy and fit like a glove, but they were only $5! SCORE right.

Hope you're having a fabulous Sunday sweet Claire. :)

xx Love & Aloha

jozen said...

Happy belated birthday :)

hope it was all grand!