Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Last Weekend Ever

Okay, it wasn't really the last weekend ever, but the last weekend before teachers have to report back to school. So it kinda feels like it.

Saturday:

My friend Missy, her friend Sogol, and I went to dinner at one of my favorite Thai places in San Francisco: Citrus Club. It's sandwiched between the eastern edge of Golden Gate Park and the intersection of Haight and Ashbury, and if you haven't had their garlic edamame, you haven't really lived.

After dinner, we walked a couple blocks up to RVCA, where there was a photo exhibit going on. Missy's friend's cousin was showing some pieces in the exhibit, so we checked it out before heading to a party later that evening. We all gave the experience mixed reviews: the photography was really interesting (though it was a small exhibit), the music was pretty terrible (hello, screamo!), and the place was crawling with the hippest hipsters in the world. Speaking of hipsters, isn't this funny?


And maybe even funnier?

(For Christmas that year--Freeman was 6 months old--I got him a hipster outfit. His mama dressed him up in it and sent me this amazing pic. BTW, that's a miniature plush bike lock in his pocket, courtesy of my talented friend Helen. It's for his fixie.)

We made a quick pit stop at my friend Truong's house (which is an art gallery in and of itself)--who by the way literally lives at the corner of Haight and Ashbury--and then trekked to the outer Sunset to bid farewell to one of my grad school friends, Susanna. The party involved persecco, some poetry, old friends, and good convos, so it was all in all a grand ol' time.

Sunday:

This morning I woke up feeling terribly about having spent something like 50 of the past 75 hours watching Friday Night Lights, so I decided to be productive. I dealt with some landlord stuff, mopped the floors, cleaned up a little around the house, and then sat down and transcribed one of my Voice of Witness interviews (the last woman I interviewed in Alabama). Though transcribing audio recorded interviews is incredibly tedious, it was kind of amazing to relive that experience. I remembered this woman telling me about being abandoned, molested, arrested, and incarcerated, and once again reveled in the feeling that I am so lucky.

But then it was all fun and games as I headed out to The Melting Pot for dinner with some girlfriends. When was the last time you had fondue? I hadn't been to a fondue restaurant since I was a kid, and let me tell you . . . it is an intense experience. So incredibly delicious, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to run a marathon to burn off the calories I consumed tonight. Swiss cheese fondue, spinach and artichoke fondue, vegetable fondue, chocolate peanut butter fondue . . . goodness gracious alive. Next time, I'm gonna skip the main course and stick to the cheese and chocolate. ;)

How was your weekend?

29 comments:

this free bird said...

a. garlic edamame = rapture.
b. all the food in this post = rapture.
c. i love hipsters.
d. freeman is absolutely amazing. the hippest hipster i've ever seen.
e. productivity is air.
f. oh claire - so glad to know i'm not alone...what is this nonsense about the first day of school being ON your birthday. that ain't right (have room in your class for an english major who seems to use the word ain't with even more frequency post education? hehe)

my problem is i LIKE where i'm at...i don't wanna move on! someone stop the bus. i want off!! with my new boots on...

xoxo,
carrie

Diana Mieczan said...

hahhaha....love that baby photo...How cute is that!!!!
You are making me so hungry with all that yummy food ,sweetie:)

Kisses and see you soon:)

Krystal said...

that hipster/iphone/yuppie picture is point on! sounds like your weekend was good...enjoy back to school :) next summer will be here fast!

Hiking in Stilettos said...

I cannot get over how funny and adorable Freeman is in that hipster outfit! And the bike lock? Precious.

Congrats about your job! It sounds like a great weekend, but probably not *too* terrible that it was your "last" since you still have your job! :)

Melissa said...

Such a fun "last weekend of summer." I'm totally with you on feeling like weekends are totally gone once school starts up.

danielle and dinosaur toes said...

i love the hipsters, iphones and yuppies picture! and the hipster outfit is so cute! the hipsters around here wear toms, skinny jeans and t-shirts (which i kind of do, too) but they're not so friendly; it's like a revamped version of the old goth personality where they don't talk to anyone who doesn't look like them. weird.

i'm coming to san francisco in less than two weeks, and i CANNOT WAIT to eat! it's my favorite thing about being out of town. lastly, i don't see how you can stomach fondue. i've tried...and failed!

bklyn76 said...

such a fulfilling weekend! um, freeman is beyong adorable! fondue is a xmas eve tradition at my cousins' place...mmmm! [i used to like *dip* in manhattan when i lived in ny, but you couldn't gorge yourself at a restaurant the same way you can at a relative's house!]

Everton Terrace said...

First - hipster baby photo is perfectly hilarious.

Second - I've been having the same problem with episodes of "Weeds" but I made a deal with myself that I can only watch while I'm the treadmill - I'm exhausted.

Third - never been to a fondue place but I'm now craving it like crazy!

Leslie @ A Blonde Ambition said...

Oh my goodness, that pic of Freeman is too cute for words! Love it!

Faiza said...

what a tasty weekend! i love the happiness and positivity that you exude!

and i would argue that 50 hours of friday night lights is VERY productive.

happy day claire!

Meghan said...

That BABY! AHHH! He is a little smush!

So glad you enjoyed this last weekend - I completely feel your pain! I have one week left of freedom!

bananas. said...

oh man fondue is soooo good. the last time i had it was several years ago. i got so full that my flowy (sp?) dress i was wearing felt tight. yea...scary.

OMG freeman in preppy gear is TOO CUTE!!! i hope you framed that!

and finally, yes! go to pican!!! you won't regret it! as for ozumo it's next on our list :)

Heather {A Measure Of...} said...

yay! but you have a lovely job to go to on the lovely day that is your birthday! it's just a different kind of celebration! :)

yum, fondue restaurants. there was one in saratoga that I went to once. and intense and expensive experience. I think it was for a special birthday or something. I loved every minute of it, ate tons and drank so much delicious wine! When do i get to do that again???

freeman is ADORABLE.

i am so happy to live vicariously through you and your weekend!

xoxo

drollgirl said...

girl, you get out and ABOUT! you are always going to fabulous restaurants! i am so jealous! and so hungry!

and i just got an iphone. i think i know what that makes me. hahahhaha! oh well. i love it!

Summer {Bisfor...} said...

i have never tried the melting pot and i need to NOW! god i want cheese.

um, that baby is flippin adorable. don't hate me if i have hipster ways. lol! a mini lock in his pocket? LOL!

MUAH!

Rachel Elizabeth said...

What an adorable baby!

April said...

Sounds like a great "last weekend".

Micaela said...

can i please just spend a weekend as you? or better yet, WITH YOU!

first: that little boy is PRECIOUS!!! SERIOUSLY! i want to hold him!!! i love it!!!

and i agree, sounds like the perfect last weekend! a lotta fun with friends, a little work passion (how amazing to listen to such life stories), and tv binging ;)

you know my weekend is actually tomorrow and wens. so you know where i was stuck at during everyone else's weekend :P I'M SO GLAD TO BE OFF!!! i've been working so much. BUT! also in today's mail was one of the things from etsy i got for a certain birthday girl... ;)

seriously, why are YOU sending me something?! lol it's YOUR BIRTHDAY MONTH! :) i'm sooo excited for your birthday! lol it's ridiculous ha but i'm all about them, especially one for a best friend :) though my goodness, we DO need to catch up! so i need to stop rambling on your "blog wall" ;) and let's make a date soon!

love you!

Stephanie said...

Hi! I'm glad I was able to learn a little bit about you. I love high heels and scarves too. That's so cool you're from the bay area! SoCal is great but I think NorCal is too:]

this free bird said...

claire! aug 26 is d-day. wah

Katastrophic said...

Hahah that is the cutest baby photo! I love his cheeks.

That iphone chart is funny too XD

Gabby said...

Sounds like a great weekend! And the hipster baby is ADORABLE! Too cute, I love it :)

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

That baby pic is SO DARN CUTE.

Sunshine Sarah said...

What an adorable baby! ^.^
Hipster babies are so cool. I really envy them sometimes. :D
You've got a really nice blog, Claire!
Oh, and you live in Cali.... how lovely.
I wish I could visit it someday.
Btw, thanks a lot for following me. Support means a lot, so I'll follow you too.

Hugs!
Sarah.

Cat said...

Oh my...well your "last weekend" was sure pack with pleasure and fun! I adore the hipster pic...what a little stud :)

Annie Cristina said...

That hipster baby is too cute for words. And congrats again on going back to work. I report back next Tuesday, and it will be my first time teaching 9th grade (gulp).

Miss Caitlin S. said...

Ooo your Sunday sounds like what I"m looking forward to!!!! Cleaning and chores sounds amazing after so go-go-go lately. I love that you had such an art-filled weekend and the hipster baby is SO cute haha, love it! Though, I still couldn't tell you what a hipster really is... I guess I just don't get it. I'm glad you had such a good last weekend!

Marz said...

I want to spend a weekend with you dear!!!! :) What an amazing last weekend of freedom :) I just want to kiss and cuddle adorable baby Freeman!! :) Made my day to see his hipster pic! :)
I just LOVE reading your posts :) I've missed them so much while I was in Florida!

Leesh said...

The last time I had fondue was when my parents were still together, probably 24 years ago. We actually had a fondue set.

There is no Melting Pot here in Toronto but there is one across the border in Buffalo, NY. The sad thing for me is that I don't eat red meat and I can't eat cheese, so I don't know if fondue would be worth my while. I would though want to try the chocolate peanut butter fondue.