Friday, September 17, 2010

Beer bread

First, Micaela posted about it.  Then, Jessie posted about it.  And now I'm here to spread the news.


It's Friday and I'm in love with one thing only:

BEER BREAD.

This is what you do.  In a big bowl, mix:

3 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 bottle of beer

mixmixmix

transfer dough to a loaf pan
pour 1/2 stick melted butter on top
bake 50 mins at 375
take bread out, pour another 1/2 stick melted butter on top
bake 10 more mins

Voila.  The easiest and most delicious bread you've ever tasted.  Don't have self-rising flour?  No problem.  Neither did I.  So instead of 3 cups of self-rising flour, I used:

3 cups regular flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1.5 teaspoons salt

Mix those three things + the sugar well (a fork works wonderfully), add the beer, mix it all together, and it will be perfect.

I made it two nights in a row, using Blue Moon both times (well, the first time I used Blue Moon's seasonal pumpkin ale, Harvest Moon, which I bought as a tribute to the Neil Young album).  Both times it was incredibly delicious.  Here are my two suggestions:

1. Use less sugar.  The first time I used 1/2 cup, the second time I used 1/3 cup.  I liked it better with a little less sugar.

2. Use salted butter.  Tastes way better.  In general. ;)  

SO GOOD.  I'm going to get fat and it is going to be seriously worth it.

Happy weekend, y'all!

26 comments:

April said...

That sounds amazing.

Faiza said...

love the Harvest Moon reference. that was the first dance song for my brother and his wife. it's a fave in our family!

J. said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying it! I go easier on the butter than the recipe calls (I'm not a butter fan, unless we're talking popcorn!) and I vary the sugar depending on what else makes up the meal. I like it to be sweet for my spicy chili, less so for things like steak.
Have a wonderful weekend!

Hiking in Stilettos said...

Blue Moon Harvest is soooooo good. It's def one of my favorite things about fall! I bet the bread was delish. I am definitely trying this! Oh, and I am jealous that you can already buy Harvest Moon!

this free bird said...

I wonder if this would work with gluten-free beer and flour...hmmmmmmmm

I've been robbed of bread for far too long, Claire!!

I'm gonna have a good weekend anyway. You do the same! And eat some bread for me too please!!

xoxo,
Carrie

Summer {Bisfor...} said...

ohhh gluten free for adam!

ok, would abita work? lol.

also, the jalo and cheddar you just told me about sounds AHMAZIN!

Diana Mieczan said...

That sounds really yummy..I have to try it:)..Kisses and have a relaxing weekend

Kara said...

WOWSERS that sounds good. Both the beer and the bread ;) I love love love Blue Moon, it's definitely one of my favorites.

I've been in a shittastic mood so I think this would be just the ticket. I love you.

Jess said...

Yum I may make some tonight! Have a great weekend x

Oh, My Darling said...

Yum, a few of my favorite things!

Erin said...

Yum. That sounds deeeelish!

Friday I'm in Love, huh? Might have to join in the fun myself. Am feeling very stressed out and anxious and it could be just the thing I need to distract me and lift me out of this slump.

Gormangirl said...

Oh goodness! Beer bread is one of my all time favorites & always a must with the onset of fall! Though for Christmas one year I put mix in brown paper bags, closed up the top with curly ribbon, stuck a cute custom designed holiday label with directions on the bag,and gave it as a gift with a bottle of beer to all of our friends! It was economical for us and tasty for them! Our friends still curse us for bringing it into their lives :) Enjoy your Friday night!

angie may said...

this sounds yummy! i'm a sucker for carbs. ;)

Fashion, Art and other fancies said...

Never heard of this type of bread - thank you for posting it - must pass it on to my friends.
Have a relaxing weekend!

Heather {A Measure Of...} said...

Beer bread, eh? Sounds like the breakfast of champions to me! xox

Micaela said...

YOU ARE SO CUTE! isn't it the best?!?!?!

i'll get fat along with you ;)

bread is one of my indulgences. xo

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

Something tells me my hubs will really appreciate this recipe!

Erika said...

The word bread alone makes me go crazy! I could seriously subsist on it alone - love this love this!! :)

maureen @ The Inglenook Decor said...

sounds yummy & so incredibly easy! :)

Annie Cristina said...

Beer bread?! My two favorite things ... combined?! *faints from the unexpected awesomeness*

lancelonie said...

That sounds cool! I'll mix it for hubby. :)

Krystal said...

beer bread is amazing!!! i usually get the pre-mixed packages, but i need to try this recipe!

Caroline said...

Um YUM!!! Hope all is well Claire. Sending you a hug!!

Janet Dillon Robinson said...

I might have to make this for my husband... maybe we could meet somewhere in the middle ;) he likes beer, I like bread! haha

I gave you an award:
http://janetdillonrobinson.blogspot.com/2010/09/blog-awards.html

:D

Jessica said...

I LOVE beer bread. Nothing is easier to make and it makes any fall meal special.

Anna Walker said...

ha sounds great! :) Doesn't the yeast in the beer help too?