Thursday, September 2, 2010

Cure for the Blues?

Man oh man I feel like I'm wearing devil horns today.  Like I'm wearing devil horns and I haven't had my coffee yet.  Neither of which is true.  But I suspect everyone around me can sense my foul mood from a mile away . . . pretty sure I have a black aura around me.  There are generally a few things I can do to yank myself out of a mood like this, but being at work precludes most of them:

1. Watch old episodes of Sex & the City
2. Exercise (don't wanna, but it makes me feel better)
3. Get a pedicure (I rarely get them, so it's a special treat when I do)
4. Take a nap
5. Sit outside somewhere pretty & have a drink with a friend
6. Make out with Tim Riggins (I'm 100% certain this would work)

What do you do to get rid of the moody blues?


Half of the reason for my mood is the fact that two of my 2nd period students acted like straight jerks today.  One of them refused to give me his phone after I caught him texting (SECURITY!!), and the other just has a horrible personality. :)  Ha.  Not sure how else to describe it (other than to tell you that he called me "bitchy" in front of the class, among other things).  


I think I need a second coffee . . . with a kick.

In sweeter news, the lovely KS from While We're Waiting tagged me in a fun game of 8 questions.  Thanks, lady!  Here are my answers to her questions:

1. Do you believe in soul mates?
Yes.  But not like "there is only one person for you and s/he is your soul mate and you have to search all over the world to find her/him, and if you don't, you're outta luck!!"  
2. Cake or pie?
I'm from Georgia, so PIE.  Especially if peach cobbler counts.  
3. What's your favorite color and why?
Bright colors?  Metallics?  I like glitz & bling.
4. What's one thing on your bucket list you just have to cross off before you die?
Babies, most definitely.  I want to write a book and travel (a lot) more and lots of other things, but nothing as much as I want to have babies.
5. Do you remember your first kiss? If so... details please!
My first kiss was with my first boyfriend, Abe.  We were in my room listening to music--though I don't remember what.  He was a sweet one!
6. Think of an old flame... if you ran into them tomorrow, what would you say?
Ha.  I think about this all the time.  Totally depends on the flame.  I'd roll my eyes at one of them, duck and hide and avoid another, and burst into tears if it were a third.  I don't know.  Pretty sure it would be trouble.
7. When's the last time you cried and why?
I almost cried out of frustration in class today when my student was being such a jacka$$!  I cry at songs a lot.  Lately I've been listening to Ray Lamontagne's "Lesson Learned" on repeat.
8. If you got one "do over," to fix just one thing in your past, what would you change?
Ha--I would have reconsidered taking out all those loans for grad school?  Hard to pay off 80K of student debt on a teacher's salary!

And lastly, check out this sign that was stapled to a tree outside my coffee shop this morning:



Interesting, right?  I can't decide what I think the story behind this is.  What do you think?

15 comments:

April said...

I'm so sorry you're in a foul mood. I hate it when that happens. And it always takes the SLIGHTEST things to put me in a terrible mood. I'm really sensitive. :/ But I usually just try to indulge myself. Buy something I wouldn't normally buy (can you say shopaholic in the making?? haha). Breathing helps too, and reminding myself that I am sensitive and probably something just as minute will make my day if I just let it happen.

I really love that sign. I hope she sees it, if that would make a difference. It probably just felt pretty great for whoever to put it up.

Diana Mieczan said...

Ohh I am so sorry you are not in a good mood today...Chocolate and lots of coffee does the trick for me...hahaha....

I adore your answers...and pies are the best...yummmy...I love them too:)

Kisses,sweetie
and I hope you will feel better soon:)

Diya said...

whenever I'm a bad mood.... I usually put on a pretty outfit and go sit in a bookstore and read an interesting book...

http://www.diyainherstilettos.com/

Melissa said...

Aw, hang in there!! Hope your day brightens immensely!

bklyn76 said...

hope you're feeling better soon. i can't imagine my students calling me names, but then again, they are all younger than 8! ;)

<3 glitz, bling and ray lamontagne!

Meghan said...

I totally had one of those days too! The technology in my building SUCKS and it totally messed up my lesson and just ruined the rest of the day. So now I am blogging and "wining" - as in, drinking red wine:)

I hope Friday ROCKS!

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

I like to do number four- when I have a black aura-

Phoenix Peacock said...

ugh, I hate dumb kids who make ME feel like the loser. Look here kiddo, youre the one who is a loser! so ha.
um, yea. probably not something either of us can say to our kids. :)
oh well, its honest at least.

Micaela said...

awww i bet it's SO frustrating when kids are bad because you can't exactly "punish" them though in texas i think we believed in paddling in some schools. ha! Oh texas.

i have been so grouchy lately at work too... coffee always seems to do the trick in the early morning... shopping!!! (thrifting), a massage/pedicure is divine, talking to max about why i am right to be so grouchy ;), calling my twinkie first and foremost of course... and taking a nap. seriously, today? slept for TWO hours! it was so nice. Sometimes i just want to give up and get under the covers for a bit. ;)

making out with Robbie Williams (coiffed hair and all! HA!) would CERTAINLY do the trick!!!!!

#6- your answer is perfection!!!!

i love that ashley sign. sigh.

Marz said...

Oh Claire I hope your day got better! You brought sunshine to mine with your amazing thank you card! I love it! xo Just think tomorrow is Friday and you have the long weekend away from those little devils! Kids can be SO bad I swear! They just aren't brought up to respect anyone or anything (even themselves!)anymore. It's sad. I've been so stressed out lately, but Labor Day weekend is the light at the end of the tunnel. It's NEARLY here! :) My pick me up - 1) talking to Micaela 2) watching a good movie with my mom 3) blasting a Britney song
I really loved reading your answers! I agree with Micaela - loved your answer to #6. I think about this all the time...
I hope Ashely saw her sign and I hope it was the sign she was maybe hoping or looking for...I believe in signs!

alaina said...

thanks for your comment on my blog...SO glad i discovered yours! YOur number 6! OH! your number 6! i am with you all the way on that one :) and songs often make you cry....ahh i know that feeling so well!

StephanieTJLee said...

Your #1,4,5 is on the top of my list :).

But I totally understand where you're coming from. It's just one of those days.

And hmm..interesting poster eh? Do tell us the story once it is revealed :)!

bananas. said...

claire...if you wrote a book, i not only would read it...i'd hype it up so big that everyone and their grandmama will have it on their nightstand.

also, sorry about the asshole kid in your class. they always have to come around some time or another. hang in there!

yay for 3 day weekends!

love jenny xoxo said...

I totally agree with your list of cures for the blues and exercise does work but it's so hard to get to the gym when i'm in that mood! I hope you cheer up in time for the long weekend!

I'm curious about Ashley, do you know who Ashley is?

XOXO

Faiza said...

oh boy! i read your friday post before i read this. i would have to say combining your dark mood with KS' tag was a great idea.

i do a lot of the same self soothing things you do when i am blue. connecting with friends or family in person or on the phone almost immediately grounds me and brings me into a thankful mood. and of course, nothing takes away the blue for me like some delicious FRENCH FRIES!