Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Love Letters

The other day, I got the sweetest letter, and it's been on my mind ever since.  It was from this girl, whom I love with my whole heart:

my sweet girl, Marie

Marie and I met when I was 15, which means she was about to turn 10.  My boyfriend was her older brother, Abe.  Abe and I both lived in Georgia, and Marie lived in Florida with their mom.  Marie and her brothers (all Abe's younger siblings) would come up during the summers and stay with their dad in Georgia.  Because their dad worked full-time (and so did Abe, for that matter), and I only worked half days during the summer in my teenage years, I would pick Marie and her brothers up at their dad's house around lunchtime and spend the afternoons with them (usually at the pool!).

Marie and I were so close--she was like my little sister--and I loved her like family.  We've stayed in touch all these years, through many moves and many boyfriends and many major life changes.  She's one of those people I know will always be in my life.  

The Addisons--Marie, her husband Derek, and their precious baby Leina--live in Korea now.  You can imagine how delighted I was to receive this letter in the mail on Monday:


Although the whole letter was incredibly sweet and genuine and lovely, one line in particular stuck out to me:

"You may not have married my brother, but you became my sister all the same."

This girl almost had me in tears!  It was so special because I feel the exact same way about her.  Her brother and I broke up over ten years ago, but she and I will always be a part of each other's lives.  Isn't it so funny how certain people come into our lives, and you just know it's going to be for a lifetime?

I love you, Marie! ♥ ♥

*side note: the only time I've ever gone camping in my entire life was with Marie!

22 comments:

Diana Mieczan said...

Ohhh that is so sweet...I think its so wonderful that you have that type of connection with her:)
Awww...sisters...aww:)
Wish you a wonderful afternoon,sweetie

Ps: I am hosting a great GIVEAWAY today :) Hope you will join in :)!!!

Paige said...

that is soooooooooooo sweet.

Marcie said...

Love this!! Handwritten notes are the best! Thank you Marie for inspiring me to send a few out today.

xo M

Style Attic said...

What a sweet, sweet story of life, love and things coming full circle!

Darling blog, thanks for finding mine!! I hardly have time to post these days, much less surf. So I find it divine intervention when people literally land on my doorstep :)

Happy day to you!

XO,

Kelly

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

What a sweet, sweet post. It's amazing how people come into our lives right?

Thanks for following my dear - good luck in the giveaway and I know Etst is totally overwhelming so it's nice to find some individual art print shops!

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

So sweet- I love forever friends.

Faiza said...

love hearing about your soulfriends. how truly special to have each other and share such treasured memories!

~KS said...

Love this. Love it.
I dated a guy about 10 years ago also and we broke up. But I have remained friends with his aunt and cousins since then. I consider them my family. It took me a long time to heal my heart after my break up with him, but as I got older I really understood that everyone comes into our lives for a reason. He might not have stayed with me, but he introduced me to life long friends who will... and had it not been for him, I wouldn't have them. Life's pretty darn cool like that.

the chirpy bird said...

I love that! Friendships with other women are the greatest gifts... Love this!
xo tash

this free bird said...

I love this, Claire. Almost cried a little myself...I have a couple sisters like that, too. They're just the best and it goes to show that investing in people always has invaluable reward.

xoxo,
Carrie

sharonlei said...

Ohmygosh Claire, this was such a sweet post. It is great to have special people like this in our lives. You definitely found a great friend, a definite keeper. :)

xx Love & Aloha

Katie said...

Oh, very sweet!

~ Angel ~ said...

wow that is so sweet! :) really touching :) and def. so true about what you said how people come into our lives and u just know they'll always be there :) Cheers!

FourJedis said...

What a sweet letter. You must be feeling like a million bucks after getting something so wonderful in the mail. It's nice to have those peole who you know will always be in your life, no matter how in touch you stay with them... they are always in your heart. Thanks for sharing your warm fuzzy! :)

bklyn76 said...

um, is it weird that i'm all teary-eyed reading this? that is so very sweet.

shelly said...

ahhh that is so sweet claire...makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :)

Micaela said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this. so precious-- esp. that line she wrote. I was nearly in tears!!! a love letter, indeed.

ps. i needed a break from flood control... UGH. coffee and your blog... perfect break :)

xo

Erika said...

Ohmigosh Claire seriously, Marie is the biggest sweetheart EVER! I'm not surprised that you were in tears from that letter. People like that are hard to come by; you're lucky to have Marie in your life...and, of course, she's lucky to have you in hers. Love love!! :)

Cat said...

What a treasure to receive! A heartfelt hand written note from someone you love is one of the most awesome things. Here is to many more years of lovely friendship! xo Cat

Marie said...

I love the way a hand written letter looks, feels, and reads. I write my boyfriend occasionally and mail it to him ( we are LD for now) and he always reads it aloud to me. Even though we talk all the time, a letter really means something special.

Also, I love friends who can be distant but close at the same time. One of my best friensd and I are like that!

heather yalin said...

Aww, Claire, this is precious! I wish you were my sister too! :)

Leesh said...

That's awesome that you have kept in touch with her even though the relationship didn't work out with her brother. I love snail mail, let along handwritten notes. It's nice to know that there are people out there who still like the old fashion way of keeping in touch.