Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Braggin' on my Hooligans

Check out what my lil monsters have been working on in class:

After learning about the disparities among different groups of people when it comes to arrest and incarceration, they created satirical "how to" booklets based on facts about likelihood of imprisonment based on race, gender, poverty, level of education, etc.

pre-project

some of my 5th period students

post-project: they created masks based on how concepts of self-identity change upon imprisonment

I just gotta show them off once in a while.  Since they make me laugh every day and all. ;)

p.s.  go here to learn about what we're reading/studying in class.  The most egregious miscarriage of "justice" I've ever known.  

18 comments:

FourJedis said...

How creative! I love seeing young minds at work!

i-zilla said...

i love the 'how to "bee" incarcerated', haha that's so cute!

Micaela said...

you're amazing!!!!

Paige said...

how to get incarcerated!!!! fucking epic

Marcie said...

So funny! My brother calls his students hooligans too. Kids are just so fun.

xo M

Dancing Branflake said...

Wow. I don't remember learning this in school but I don't think I paid much attention. You must be an awesome teacher!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Looks like you run a fun classroom!

Indie.Tea said...

I had an English class built around that same theme. Sounds like you make learning fun

passport in my pocket said...

ha, that's awesome! claire you are a fabulous teacher (and blogger!)

CultAnthro said...

What a great idea for a project! I wish you could come here to Northwestern and teach some of the undergraduates about injustice and inequality. Your high school students know alot more than them!

Marz said...

Claire - I am so proud of what you are teaching these young minds!! You are an AMAZING teacher!!! Love how you did the masks to show self identity changes after prison! I would have loved to have a teacher as passionate as you growing up!

Krystal said...

those are great ideas - and with lasting impressions i bet - WM3 i interesting as well, I had no idea it existed..

Faiza said...

once again you open my eyes to something important. i love our blog world for that.

your students are so lucky to have you!

drollgirl said...

your kids are INCREDIBLE! you see a whole aspect of life (kids in school) that i never get to see.

Jude said...

How amazing to teach. I find every new academic term a challenge (well, my students are perhaps not as cute as yours! :)), but worth the effort each time, always! Thank you so much for dropping by today - I love meeting new bloggers and thrilled it led me to your amazing blog!

Diana Mieczan said...

Ohhh kids are so amazing and full of cool ideas:) Have a great day
Kisses

Melly Mel said...

adorable kids!
you must be a great great teacher!

Annie Cristina said...

I did a mask project with my kids this week, too! That's so cool. We're like teacher twins. :D