Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Happiness is Breakfast at La Note

First of all, thank you all so much for your love and sympathy about yesterday's post.  I heard from Marie again this morning and, although she is incredibly sad, it made me feel better to get a long email from her and hear how she is coping with the loss of her brother.  All your thoughts and prayers mean so much to me, and I will pass them along to Adam's family.

But I'd had enough of being sad.  I'm not very good at being sad . . . so I tend to take the bull by the dang horns and make myself be happy!  Which is what I did this morning.  My classes start later on Tuesdays, so this morning I met my dear friend Helen at my favorite breakfast place in Berkeley, La Note.  Some good strong coffee and the nutella French toast that I have always coveted (but never had the nerve to order) did my soul well.

pre-work breakfast at La Note

Helen with lemon ginger pancakes at our window table

sometimes happiness comes in the form of nutella French toast

And now I'm home working on my lesson plans, and revisiting this poem by e.e. cummings before I head into work today, because sometimes you gotta go back to basics:

i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday;this is the birth
day of life and love and wings:and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any-lifted from the no
of all nothing-human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

18 comments:

Camilla Leila said...

we go here all the time!!!
i love la note!!!

Diana Mieczan said...

That nutella toast looks so yummy:) Have a lovely day,sweetie
Kisses

Kara said...

Holy moses, nutella french toast? I'm not much of a breakfast girl, but WOW that sounds delicious. And I applaud your spirit girlfriend - sometimes forcing ourselves to be happy is the best way to get out of our heads.

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Good girl, rejoice in your aliveness and be grateful - it's a good way to pay homage to those who we have lost.
Nutella is one of my all time favorites. I have eaten on regular toast many (too many) times but never on french toast - yum!

this free bird said...

Oh Claire - I'm so glad to read this post. I feel so badly for Adam's family and for you -this poem is incredibly inspirational and so helpful to put a fresh perspective on what has happened/is happening.

That Nutella French Toast (all caps yes) looks freaking amazing...and I'll take a side of what's on Helen's plate too!!

xoxo,
Carrie

Micaela said...

beautiful. beautiful.

promise to take me there one day? nutella on anything is divine!

"I'm not very good at being sad . . . " that is a wonderful thing :)

Megan said...

I love the sound of nutella french toast - yum!
So sad to hear about your loss and your friends, my thoughts are with their family.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I am not a pancake or French toast fan but that looks amazing! And I am a huge Nutella fan!!

Marcie said...

That food looks so amazing! I definitely have to check out that place.

xo M

Gracie said...

Nutella French toast??!! Sounds utterly amazing. I love Nutella on normal toast so it sounds even better with French toast.

I adore long leisurely breakfast. They are the best.

styleforlife said...

yum, yun, yum!!! That breakfast looks amazing. I heart SF. :-)
Your blog is lovely.
xx Emily from EL Vintage

bananas. said...

mmm la note sounds lovely!

i'm glad you are feeling better. i don't do well being sad either, which is why i'm almost alway happy. salty but happy nonetheless :)

Phoenix Peacock said...

I'm glad you are finding your self care. and I think nutella might be the best self care ever! hugs honey

Krystal said...

I'm glad you are feeling better!! Breakfast joints always help :)

Marz said...

Nothing breaks my heart more than knowing you are hurt and sad. I never want you to be good at being sad and I'm glad you're making yourself happy and I agree with Phoenix - nutella is the best self care ever! :) I am keeping your friend and her family in my prayers!!!
p.s. PROMISE you'll take twinkie and I to La Note when we visit one day! :) xoxo

bklyn76 said...

thank you for that poem. i needed it today.

i love going out for breakfast/brunch more than anything [except maybe going out for sushi]! i don't know if it's the endless cups of coffee, the mingling of sweet and savoury [french toast with bacon], or the fact that it's usually quite leisurely b/c the little guy is still at grandma's!

FourJedis said...

I'm so sad to read about Adam. My thoughts go out to Marie and her family. That Nutella looks rather tasty. I'm glad you were able to get out and cheer up a little bit.

heather yalin said...

How I wish I could be there to hug you right now, sweet girl! I'm reading a week of posts late. It's been a hectic week around here too. I hug you from a distance, because that's all there is... for now, and a short while longer.