Friday, October 29, 2010

Serious nostalgia.

My last 24 hours in New Orleans were incredible: the event went swimmingly (click here for a picture and a brief review!)--I forget that although I sometimes get nervous before talking in front of people, all the anxiety goes away as soon as I begin talking about something about which I feel passionately.  It was a great crowd, lively questions, and ultimately, I think, a great success.  Here's a pic from right before the panel discussion of me with my two college creative writing professors (so dear to me!), Peter Cooley and Dale Edmonds:


After the event, I hopped back on the street car and headed to an old haunt, the Maple Leaf, to see


There's something really liberating about wandering around a city on your own . . . so many things to do and people to meet . . . but I guess it helps being in a city you already know well.  Rebirth was, as always, incredible!  I didn't get to take any pics inside cause it was SO DARK I just knew the camera wouldn't do them justice.  I (barely) made it back to my hotel Tuesday night, and then Wednesday I experienced what may have been the highlight of my trip: lunch with old English professors.  Oh man--I was totally overcome with sweet nostalgia, and found myself wishing I was back in the Tulane English Department having conversations about Ernest Hemingway with these folks.

On the way to the airport, we stopped by my old house!

Ohhhh 7820 Birch St., how I miss you!

College is such an incredible time in your life, and you have no idea how to appreciate it while you're there.  It's the tragedy of growing up: you don't know anything else, and so you don't know to savor every single moment.  Seeing students walking around my old college campus made me almost impossibly sad, for just a minute, just knowing that I'll never be back there again.

But then it was back to the Bay Area where I got to celebrate the Giants' incredible victory over the Rangers--WHAT A GAME!--and then again last night??  I have to admit, I kind of felt sorry for the Rangers (and for Micaela and Marianne, the prettiest Rangers fans around!)--once they started walking people, it was just . . . embarrassing.

Happy Friday, and happy (soon-to-be) Halloween!

27 comments:

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

The games have been fantastic! Glad you had a nice trip!

(sweet) stephanie said...

Thanks for your rec! I actually might be traveling there this winter. I was wondering, do you have any recommendations for some yummy food places??

Jude said...

So glad your trip went wonderfully - the band sounds terrific and it's so true, we're too young and naive in college to embrace it for what it is. Though how lovely you can go back and revisit it physically and spiritually.

Have a fantastic, safe Halloween weekend!

Diana Mieczan said...

So glad you had a fun trip and that is such a sweet photo:) kisses and enjoy your weekend
Happy Halloween

Marz said...

Oh Claire I was SO proud reading that review and seeing your photo -You look SOOOO beautiful! How I wish I could have been there for it! Seems like such an interesting and successful night. I looooooove how passionate & dedicated you are to a cause you believe SO strongly in. You shed light on such an important but misunderstood and ignored issue. I have learned so much about it just through you and I know I'm not the only one who is thankful for that. I am so glad you had such a wonderful trip! I understand completely what you mean when you said you were overcome by sweet nostalgia! I miss college SOOOOOOO much!!! I remember at lunch with Jessie and our other girlfriend from college as we talked about our memories and favourite professors we were wondering if it was even natural to feel that sad and that strong of a longing for our college days! It really is one of the most incredible times of your life! So glad you got to go back to your old stomping grounds :)
Still not over last night's Ranger's massacre :( But you wait Claire...you wait until tomorrow when they are back in TEXAS! You know that saying..."Don't Mess With Texas" - the Giant's will FINALLY get to know why they say that :) I felt SO sad for Micaela especially - she was heartbroken!!!
Have a wonderful Halloween weekend Claire! I'll be thinking of you when I watch your Saints :) xo

Rach said...

So glad you had a great trip! What you said about college is to true (and my creative writing professors are very dear to my heart as well)! Oh and I gave you a blog award :) Happy Halloween!

Katie said...

I felt the same way last time I visited my old college ~ if only I had truly appreciated the experience while I was in it! And thanks for reminding me of the Rangers' loss ... ;)

Micaela said...

SOOOO EMBARRASSING :( it was terrible!!!! i mean who hits an ALMOST home run? oh Ian Kinsler :) sigh.... you're in Texas this next time so we'll bring it! ;) HA! lord, that was a hard game to watch. I love you still, even after this world series ;) HA!

You look sooo pretty! just beautiful! i was so nervous about your big event but then i thought, hello... this is Claire, passionate claire who is so outgoing and such a people person! i'm glad to hear it was awesome! i can't even imagine.

awww your house was so cute! someday, promise to take me on a street car and where they serve big ass beers?!

happy friday beautiful girl! x

Faiza said...

intelligence is the new sexy! so proud of you and your passion and conviction and belief in the goodness of every person.

Megan said...

It sounds like you have had the most amazing time. I am six weeks away from finishing uni and cannot wait till its over - I guess I am suffering from the exact thing your talking about. This time next year I will be wanting to be back.

Krystal said...

so glad the time was awesome!! happy halloween too!

(Vintage handbag giveaway if you are interested!)

maureen @ The Inglenook Decor said...

so awesome that u had a great talk Claire..and NOLA, just adore that city! The Garden District is captivating, we go almost twice a year...adore the houses!

Meghan said...

Congrats on a successful trip to New Orleans! Your old stomping grounds look incredible - I've always wanted to visit your fine city. I hope you have the most incredible Halloween!

E. Charlotte said...

My sister flew herself down to New Orleans yesterday! Apparently it's the place to be. :)

Thanks for swinging by my blog earlier! Hurray for Russian Blues. :) Your blog is adorable! I shall definitely return!

Style Attic said...

Very cool to go back and take it all in again. I'm glad your memories are so fond! Safe travels, happy halloween and your old residence is so cute XOXO

Debby said...

Love San Fran... how lucky you got to see that game.. that ball park is amazing! You looked gorgeous! xo

heather yalin said...

Yay Dear Claire! So happy your trip was a success, and even tho some of those nostalgic moments may cause you to cringe a little inside, they are so wonderful at the same time! So I'm happy you got to experience those too :) Someday, I want you to show me your NOLA!

Erika said...

Good grief! That was such a whirlwind of a trip - I'm so glad you had a wonderful time, Claire! It's crazy how many old memories come rushing back when we visit our past places of residence. :P

Happy, Happy Halloween!! :)

Stephanie said...

We just got back from New Orleans too!! So much fun! I'm glad you had a good time.

Miss Caitlin S. said...

You look so darling in the image! I agree with you about wandering around cities solo, you can never be bored and it's so lovely to just peacefully explore. How fun you got to look at your old digs :) I'm glad the trip went well!

THE ALTERNATIVE WIFE said...

Sounds like such a fun time! Hope you're having a great weekend and GO GIANTS :) xoxo

Annie Cristina said...

Happy Halloween! Hope you had a great trip. :)

Poppies and Sunshine said...

Sounds like a great trip! I like what you said about enjoying college. I think it is important to enjoy every season we may be in!

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

Wow sounds like your trip went great!

Jill said...

I know just how you feel! I love about 10 mins. from my old college campus, but I still get sad every time I drive by and miss all of my great memories there! :D

bananas. said...

welcome back to the bay!!! yayy!!!! and yay giants!!! did you see last night's game? so so awesome!!!

i feel ya on the college appreciation thing...or lack thereof. i didn't realize how much i miss it until i went back on campus a couple years ago and my heart felt all nolstagic and shit. lol.

Jenn said...

Claire,
My heart aches just a bit reading this post. You are 100% right about college; I feel the same way about our Tulane days. Wish I could do it all again.