Monday, November 1, 2010

The Day After Halloween is Not an Excuse to Buy Half Off Candy

Or so I'm trying to convince myself, having gorged on Tootsie pops and Kit Kats and mini Mr. Goodbars for the past two days.

Saturday, after a quick trip to the Alemany Farmers' Market with Doro to get some pumpkins, I spent the day at the household of my little boo, Freeman J. George.  While Freeman was napping and his daddy and I watched Game 3 of the World Series, I baked this:

quick way to get you in the Halloween spirit

And then as soon as my buddy woke up, we carved pumpkins!

well, I carved.  Freeman colored and covered his pumpkin in stickers.

Our results?

Boo Dat!

I had to combine my football spirit and Halloween spirit, cause my Saints played my bestie's Steelers Halloween night!  My amateur fleur de lis ain't bad, huh?  

I'm slightly ashamed to say that I didn't dress up this year, but it's only cause Halloween day was full of sports, and I couldn't justify the time and effort on a costume just to stay on my couch and watch the World Series and the NFL.  But keep your eye out for a Halloween babies post coming soon, where I'll share pics of my little friends in their get ups.  Goodness gracious they're cute.

And the other thing about California is that it was gorgeous here yesterday.  Anna and I walked to the farmers market where I bought some veggies and these:


before heading out on a beautiful afternoon hike.  We drove up to the Lafayette Reservoir, whose trail around the water offers a perfect combo of exercise and beauty.  It was such a nice start to the day!  Afterwards, we came home and made chili and watched sports (my teams did me proud), and then, thanks to a zillion recommendations on facebook, we watched


Have you seen it?  Ultimately, I'd give it around an 8 out of 10 on the scary scale (I was looking to be terrified).  Plus, it stars two of the hottest actors in Hollywood: Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman.  Zombies and dolls and aliens don't scare me one single bit; it has to be something that could feasibly happen to me to get me really spooked.  The Strangers is about a couple who, after breaking up at a wedding reception, come home to a country house, only to be tortured by three deranged killers in horrifying masks.  And what makes it even better?  It's based on a true story.  Yikes.

Tell me about your Halloween!!

21 comments:

Diana Mieczan said...

I've seen the movie and I was so scared! I love the pumpkin photos..you both did so well:)Kisses

Faiza said...

Love your pumpkin! It is not amateur at all!

My Halloween was a lot of fun! I dressed up for the first time in ages! Twice in fact and had a blast!

danielle and dinosaur toes said...

so it wouldn't be okay for me to go back to target to get all that candy that WASN'T on sale yesterday evening? i was upset about that because i had a serious sugar craving!

that pie looks delicious!

Jude said...

Oh my gosh, that movie sounds sooo creepy! It would've been perfect Halloween viewing (though I'm such a baby when it comes to scary movies these days!) Speaking of babies, little Freeman is adorable! Aww...

FourJedis said...

I love that you put pumpkins and football into the same project. Crafty! I can't do scary movies!

Kayla said...

I saw The Strangers in theaters and it was kinda terrifying leaving at midnight with the other like 6 people who were there. Not as scary watching again but still kinda freaky to watch at home alone.

Ramblings of a Small Town Girl

orsoifeel said...

I watched that too.. It was pretty freaky but not that bad... I didn't mind looking at scott Speedman for 2 hours.
Those pictures are the cutest.

Taylor @ The Undomestic Momma said...

I meant to go buy cheap candy today! Love the carved pumpkins!

flip flops on lex said...

Hi there,

I'm a newbie, stopping by via Summer's blog. I love the quote on your header. It is one of my favorites. Looking forward to reading more.

M

Erin said...

Eeee, way too scary for me!

Great fleur-de-lis though...

Meghan said...

I am super impressed with your pumpkin-carving skills! It sounds like you had a spectacular Halloween!

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

Nice fleur de lis!

Ooh scary movies based off true movies are the scariest!

Gabby said...

Your weekend looked and sounded super good! I'm not a sports fan, but I appreciate your pumpkin! :) And um yeah, I am the biggest chicken and would never ever ever watch The Strangers. Lol

starnes family said...

I was terrified at the movie. Didn't know it was based on a true story. Thanks. Won't be sleeping tonight!

Where did I find you? Brownies? I'm lost now. Blogland is so weird.

Anyhoo.....we just moved to Cali from Kansas City. 6 weeks ago. Luvin it! We're in San Diego, but my husband and I married in Half Moon Bay, closer to your neck of the woods.

Nice to meet you!

Marz said...

Claire that pumpkin would look WAY better with the Dallas Star! haha Girl how did you get so unbelievably LUCKY in sports? Your teams seriously ARE doing you proud while our Texas teams just keep breaking our hearts! Poor Micaela's saddness over the phone just killed me! But we are STILL SO proud! :) They made it to the World Series and even if we had to finish second to your Giants that's still something to be proud of :) Seriously though, will you rub some of your luck on us so we can enjoy the celebrating and happiness that you are feeling now? :) Your Halloween sounded perfect sans costume and all! That pie looks DELICIOUS!!! I know a piece of that pie would cheer me up right now :) My friend Michelle and I gorged on Halloween candy while watching "Darkness Falls" - now that movie was REALLY dumb! ha I LOVED the Strangers! It freaked me out!! I think I told you how Lauren, Mehle and I made Micaela watch it and even though she loves Scott she was SO disturbed after that movie that she was almost upset with us for making her watch it haha :) I absolutely cannot wait to see the pics of the little ones in their costumes :) Freeman is absolutely precious!!! :) "Boo Dat" cracked me up :)

Micaela said...

i was THE SAME about halloween this year! ha
football and baseball-- how in the hell did i have time for anything else? lol I LOVE how you incorporated your teams with the pumpkin carving! ha how CUTE is Freeman!?!?! i want to squeeze him!

I want some pie!! i want you to cook for me period ;) i can't stop eating halloween candy and after my SAD SAD SAD loss tonight :( (congrats to your team baby!) i am digging in once again lol

OMG! "The Strangers" DISTURBED ME!!!! disturbed me! ha as you can see from marianne's comment -- i was FREAKED OUT! lol but yes, the hottest people in hollywood-- agreed! scott speedman will forever be "ben" to me :)

love you!!! still, regardless your team broke my heart tonight :(
:)

xoxoxoxo

ag. said...

November 1st is so the best excuse to pig out on candy! :) LOVE your pumpkins, much more creative than mine!

McKenzie said...

What a perfect weekend!! I'll be in San Fransisco for Thanksgiving... hoping the weather stays that nice until my arrival :-)

P.S. - could your pumpkin pie be any more beautiful?? nice work!

Krystal said...

It's so an excuse to buy the candy!! Eat some extra for me :)
And I haven't seen that movie, scary movies..scare me :)

Kara said...

Omg, I need that pie so much. And YAY GIANTS!!!! I know this post has nothing to do with them, but yay for them anyway :) It was a fun series to watch.

Sounds like a lovely weekend! I don't do scary movies anymore...I was telling This Free Bird the other day that The Ring turned me into a giant wuss. Sad face.

bananas. said...

you're much braver than me...scary movies are so not the business with me. i can barely stand two seconds of that thriller suspense music they have in movies. eeks!

but i will go see scream 4 just 'cause...happy belated halloween!!!