Monday, November 15, 2010

{guest post from Dolce Vita} how can you miss someone you've never even met?

hello claire's fabulous readers! 

it's Micaela from Dolce Vita, excited to be keeping you company while Claire's away in beautiful Guatemala City. She's having a wonderful time (one that includes the fancy Boutique Hotel Casa Santa Rosa in Antiqua and trying to get Freeman to watch Jersey Shore in spanish subtitles before bedtime... ha! only our claire). i can't wait to hear all about it!

i thought i'd be a little lovie dovie and tell you how me and claire "met."

it started with a music swap. it was claire's first time participating in a blog swap, and she found out about it through my blog. Even though we weren't paired together-- she sent me a copy of the cds she sent out (she's lovely like that). Through songs like this one... I know we were kindred.

we exchanged emails, and then little packages with gifts that  you could only give someone you truly felt close to. Like those baby shoes? I once told her that my favorite story is one that Hemingway was said to have written on a bet that he couldn't write a story using just six words. 

The six words he wrote were: "For Sale: Baby Shoes, never worn." 

those six words mean something to my heart. 

i sent Claire the glass snail because in a VOGUE article she once sent me was the sentiment that "snails carry their homes wherever they go." Shortly after reading that article, i finished reading "Eat Pray Love" and wouldn't you know that exact sentiment was in the pages of the very book that changed my life? 

in fact, mine and claire's first phone call was after my life had fallen apart. And it was so natural, so easy.  We talked like we had been friends for years. That's how it feels like with Claire.

it's hard to imagine that i didn't even know her a year ago. it's hard to imagine that we met through blogging and haven't met in real life yet (though we are going to fix that pronto!) 

it's hard to imagine because i miss her when it's been a few days since we've last emailed/texted/called/gmail chatted. 

i love you Claire!!! 


thank-you for letting me be cheesy. Do you guys have anyone you feel this way with through blogging? i'd love to know! xo

24 comments:

Diana Mieczan said...

That is one of the sweetest posts ever! That snail is so adorable
Wish you both a great Monday
Kisses

The Girlie Blog said...

Awww this is so sweet! Those baby shoes are adorable!

orsoifeel said...

So sweet! So amazing the friendships that are formed through this blog world... xoxo

danielle and dinosaur toes said...

the blogging world is a tricky one, with its long distance and internet friendships! sometimes i have to remind myself that i don't know some of my friends in the physical sense, but it's so easy to really become a part of one another's lives!

Erin said...

Yep... you! I enjoy your cheesiness so much!

I always feel weird when any length of time goes by without talking to Cassie. We usually chat on skype and FB several times a week, and comment on each other's blogs every day.

Happy Monday, M!
And Happy Travels, Claire! xo

shelly said...

ahhhh you guys are so cute :)

erin elder said...

This is such a sweet post!! I just love the friends i've made here in blog land {including you missy}.

Those baby shoes are the cutest thing ever. i love the stories behind all the little treasures listd here.

Rach said...

This is so sweet! Through reading both of your amazing blogs, I always assumed that you and Claire had been friends in "real life" before entering the blogging world. I often feel like my bloggy friends understand me better than the friends that I see in my everyday life. I love my bloggy friend Jess from live. laugh. love.
( http://jruud.blogspot.com/ ). We email and comment on each other's blogs almost everyday. I would love to meet her in real life-I feel like we would have so much fun!

Cassie said...

Erin beat me too it! I should have known as I entered the comments she would have got there first! Of course I miss Erin if we don't speak and even though we have met for just a few sort hours this summer it feels like we have been the very best of friends for years.

Gorgeous, gorgeous post Micaela!
xx

Phoenix Peacock said...

M this is such a sweet post. I was so bummed when in Sacramento that I couldn't get down to San Fran for a visit. But one of these days the three of us NEED to meet up for a girls weekend!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Great post! I've def met several people through blogging (in person and via the internet). It's crazy how close you can get to someone you've never met. I love bloggin' buds!

starnes family said...

I met my bff via blogland. I lived in Denver at the time and she in Austin. I'm closer to her than most of my IRL friends. We've traveled together and I adore her. You can find love on the internet!

Megan said...

This is such a great story and I am so happy to hear about how you and Claire met.

Meghan said...

That baby shoe story kills me everytime!

I love that you and Claire have such a special relationship! You two are so incredibly sweet and supportive of all of us bloggers, and it makes me happy that you guys have bonded through blogging too!

Claire Kiefer said...

OMG I love you all!!! I am still in Guatemala (with internet access, but limited) and this post literally has me tingly in the chest and smiling reading all your comments. I love you to death, Micaela, and I'm so grateful for all of you who chimed in about our very special friendship. Be back late tomorrow night!

Jude said...

This is such a sweet, sweet post! Oh my goodness, I smiling like a crazy person the whole time. Just the best possible example of where blogs can take you (and yes, I too truly believe you can miss someone you've never met! :))

this free bird said...

This is such an awesome post. I do love me some Claire and can see how the two of you would have completely hit it off.

The cheese factor is better known as the love factor! Yay!!

xoxo,
Carrie

Marcie said...

This is sooo cool! I am loving this. Isn't the blogging world so fun?! I've made some great friends too.

xo M

heather yalin said...

Awww, Micaela, this is a beautiful sweet post! We could all use a little love boost (call it cheesy, if you will :) It's just a pure dose of happiness!
Love to you both!!

Faiza said...

hello lovely micaela!

what a wonderful post! i love that this blogger world of ours has given us so many connections and friends.

i am really enjoying getting to know you and claire and marianne and i hope i get to meet all of you in person one day.

would love to go thrifting with you, play with some animals and see how you love them and of course and blue jays/rangers game!!!

Summer {Bisfor...} said...

oh m! you are so sweet. sweeter than sugar, my love. you and claire are very lucky to have each other and i feel lucky to know you through her!

Gracie said...

Micaela you are adorable! I love that you girls have a really wonderful friendship.

Such wonderful packages and gifts sent to each other!

Krystal said...

What a sweet post!!! And almost lover is one of my all time favorite songs that never gets bumped from my playlist :)

Melly Mel said...

let's talk about how precious that is!??? so sweet.