Thursday, December 16, 2010

Bittersweet

Do any of you have a friend who is just so good they're almost too good to be true?  Like, they never bitch about anything really, they're nice to and about everyone, they don't get drunk and chip their teeth, and you trust them implicitly?  Such is Diana, one of my best friends, and whom I've talked about many times cause she is one of the Cobras.  She's the most loyal person in the world, she loves me despite my (many) faults, and she doesn't really have any of her own.  Ha.  I'd say she was intimidating if she wasn't the sweetest person ever.  She kind of reminds me of Faiza.  

When Ali can't come to our poetry soirees and it's just Diana and me, we tend to go to fun places out on the town and discuss our poems from the week prior (as well as assignments for the next week).

I am here to tell you that if you live in the San Francisco Bay Area and you have not been to Bittersweet, get off the computer right now and hightail it there!  Diana first introduced me to it years ago, and let's just say that it changed my experience of hot chocolate.  As in, since that fateful day back in 2005 (I think), I haven't been able to enjoy a hot chocolate anywhere else.

Check this:

Diana's hot (milk) chocolate, homemade vanilla marshmallows, my soy salted caramel hot chocolate

I was nervous to branch out and order something different (I usually get the regular hot chocolate), but the salted caramel was the best I've ever had.  It's pretty crazy how good this place is.  They even have a hot dark chocolate that I think is even vegan!  Just straight up liquid chocolate.  Amazing (if you're into dark chocolate).  The only problem with Bittersweet is that they close at 7 pm, which is kind of unacceptable according to my night-owl self.  Oh, and there's one other problem: I've totally become a hot chocolate elitist and now I don't think it tastes very good from anywhere else.

A fine price to pay, in my book. I mean look at this--

close up of the best hot chocolate in the world

22 comments:

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

yum looks too good!

Diana Mieczan said...

Ohh it looks so good:) Can I have a cup too? Yum

J. said...

I am reading this as I shove a dark chocolate milky way mini into my mouth...
you had me at the first picture.
xo

Gabby said...

I literally just finished a salted caramel hot choc from Starbucks...and yours looks a million times better. Plus homemade marshmallows? Yummers!

Kara said...

*drool* I can't stand hot chocolate usually...too...from-a-packet-y? But this sounds amazing!!

Rach said...

Salted chocolate is simply the best, but I've never had it as hot chocolate. It sounds amazing! Andy lucky you for having a good friend like Diana :)

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Seriously? Why would you do this to those of us who couldn't possibly go there. I love hot chocolate (well any chocolate but especially warm in a mug with marshmallows). A girl can dream, which is what I'm going to have to do.

bananas. said...

i have to be honest...that hot chocolate scurrs me. i'm sure it's good and all but i am bias to one kind of hot chocolate...mexican hot chocolate. it's my fav and so far nothing has changed that. but hey maybe bittersweet will...who knows!

homemade grits said...

salt. caramel. yes please!

Micaela said...

When you said Faiza reminded you of Diana, i totally got the description of candy sweet smiles :)

Bittersweet looks DELISH!!! if i went, i'd totally get the vegan dark hot chocolate cos dark chocolate is my fave! :) yuuum!

you will def. have to take me there. btw-- i AM SOOO EXCITED about our gmail chat late (for me) last night-- UUUGH, I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps. bananas knows what she's talking about- my granddaddy would make me Mexican hot chocolate and it is THE BEST!!! they sell some in a box (like hot chocolate) that is all right and good enough to drink and remind me of childhood when i'd visit him in Pasadena. You would LOVE it claire!

Faiza said...

you brought tears to my eyes claire. thank you so much for that compliment. i feel so blessed to have you in my life, to have you egg on my french fry addiction, to indulge what i think is AWESOME and to encourage my heart.

add bittersweet to the list of places we will go when we finally do hang out :)

Marz said...

You are completely right - Faiza sounds exactly like Diana! :) And I thought Starbucks was FANCY :) haha I have never had salted caramel hot chocolate but it sounds heavenly (I mean how can you go wrong with a salty AND sweet?!) And those marshmallows....swoon!!! I fear you might find my tastes simple, bland and boring when we enjoy dinner together one day! haha :) I'm just not use to elite hot chocolate or vegan anything on the menu (let alone in the form of hot chocolate) in my little Texas town. I honestly can't wait to wine (and I am not a wine drinker lol) and dine San Fran style one day! :)

Marz said...

p.s. Bananas and Micaela are SO right - Mexican hot chocolate is the absolute BEST! We'll have to bring some along when we make that trip ;)

Caroline said...

One word... DIVINE!! I am going to go there while on break! Thanks Claire for posting this. I hope all is well!! HUGS and LOVE! xo

Absolutely Ladylike said...

Oh those homemade vanilla marshmallows...please next time invite me as well :-) I'm happy you had a great time ladies!

Happy Holidays, much love: Evi

Signe said...

Nothing like a good and lasting friendship!! And the hot chocolate and the homemade vanilla marshmallow looks devine :)

Wish you a happy weekend!!

Debby said...

Thank God for friends like her! That hot chocolate looks yummy! xo

{BlueEyedYonder} said...

Are you totally trying to get me to lick my screen? That looks crazy good. You had me at salted caramel. Mmmmm.....

Ashley said...

that looks yuuuuummmmmy! Putting that on the list of must go places next time im in the city. =)

bklyn76 said...

bittersweet sounds divine! and faiza is pretty damn sweet too! [can't believe you know two wonderful ppl like that!]

Miss Caitlin S. said...

YUMMY! those look like sheer delight, my goodness. I love good coffee/morning drinks. yum, yum, yum, yum. And your friend sounds like a friend I definitely want... I have a few like that.

kara lynn said...

oh yum. this looks amazing. in fact i may try and brew some up right now!