Thursday, December 2, 2010

First Crush!

My darling friend Marisa (one of my very first friends in grad school) moved to New York this summer, which made me very sad.  But she's back here visiting, guest teaching, doing readings, etc. (cause she's a big shot and her first book was published this year! Check it out here).  Last night, we met at Union Square for a dinner date and some Christmas shopping!  Shopping at Union Square with Marisa is one of my very favorite things to do in December.

San Francisco's Union Square Christmas tree

We met at 6:30 outside the Powell St. train station and headed to First Crush, where we had a delightful (and long-overdue!) dinner date.  

cutest name for a restaurant/wine bar ever!

I promptly ordered a (delicious) cucumber gimlet, and Marisa had some sort of old-fashioned whiskey drink.  So good!  We split some appetizers and a cheese plate and caught each other up on the past 5 months.  She works at an office on 5th Avenue now--doesn't that sound straight out of a romantic comedy?

not our best shot but it's all I got!  And I promise Marisa's not a Cullen
it's just an overexposed picture.

We had roasted fall vegetables, swiss chard au gratin, and the very fancy cheese plate.  And a baudy zinfandel. :)  First Crush only serves California wines, and they create specialized flights for you based on what you're eating!  

We lingered too long over dinner to get any real shopping done, but I did get a tiny thing for this girl and a funny stocking stuffer for my sister.  Maybe I subconsciously didn't get much Christmas shopping done so that I'd have an excuse to go back to Union Square pronto . . . I loooove it there at Christmastime!  Lights and Christmas music and the big tree and coffee shops!  So festive. ♥

And for kicks, here is our favorite picture of the two of us:

Claire and Marisa, Sleepover Friends, 2005

23 comments:

April said...

Looks yummy!!

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Old friends are the best- Looks like you had fun! The tree in Union Square looks great-

Diana Mieczan said...

She sounds lovely and both photos are sooo cool:)
Kisses

Miranda said...

That's so sweet old friends are the best!

www.indcfashion.com

jeanette from everton terrace said...

First - you two are just downright adorable!
Second - now I want to come to SanFran to see the Christmas decorations.
Third - yes perfect name for a bar.

Adri said...

Ha ha! I thought you were going to tell us the story of your first crush! :D Sweet post!

-Adri
www.macheriecreations.com

FourJedis said...

Congrats on her book publishing! Sounds like some seriously fun girl time. Old friends are the best - I just had a big dosage last week, but it makes me long for more!

Marcie said...

The tree is beautiful!! I can't wait to go see it. :)
M

Micaela said...

i laughed out loud on the cullen comment :) i want to go to union square and first crush!!! seriously, fabulous!

marisa is just as cute as you and her book?! i need a copy! the review had me at "This poetry is the unholy and inevitable spawn of Emily Dickinson and Judy Blume"-- amazing!

ps. i'm already excited about my something because you are a gift giving goddess! ;) love you!

Jude said...

That is so very sweet you guys got to spend time together - there's nothing like time with girlfriends, more so when you're old friends!

Marisa Crawford said...

awww! love you <3

Caroline said...

Claire you make me smile!! We must meet one day!! OK??!! HUGS!

this free bird said...

Oh Claire this is WONDERFUL!! I wish we lived closer together so we could hang out, too. And girl that tree is amazing!!

xo,
c

Jen said...

Isn't that great news? You guys are going to have such a blast together! Good friends are the best!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

It looks like it was a great time!!!

Franky said...

looks like so much fun!

bananas. said...

mmm cheese...first crush sounds delightful! i love union square around christmas time. that tree is stunning and i just love it!

hope you have a fun filled weekend friend! xoxo.

daily mix LA said...

looks like fun!

Kimbirdy said...

fun! i can tell right now, your blog is going to make me incredibly nostalgic. :) i love union square during the holidays, especially all the puppies and kitties in the macy's store windows!

and how about that?! i did have some clients move on to balboa this year (although that's as much as i can legally tell you). i used to be a teacher too (k-8th, but mostly kindergarten), and all i can say is i have TONS of respect for you teachers of san francisco. wow! luckily i only had one at a time so they didn't feel so defensive, and there was no drama of keeping up appearances, etc. but what you have to deal with in the classroom - wow!

oh! and i guess i call all the second-hand shops on haight st. "thrift stores" although i guess technically they're not (my husband corrects me all the time on this). the dress i got was from wasteland, and i think it's the only thing i ever bought there (it's usually too expensive for what you find, but i LOVE it anyway). my other favorite is buffalo exchange. probably most of my wardrobe is from there. i used to live by the independent, so i was always walking over to shop on haight. it was pretty dangerous! :)

rachel! said...

mmm, i love friends! sounds like you had a fun adventure.

Krystal said...

I want to work at an office on 5th avenue! haha! sounds like a good time. My first friend from grad school still has my heart :)

Emily @ Finding My Aloha said...

That sounds like so much fun! I have never been to CA, I sure would like to see that tree in Union Square though! Maybe one day!

I love your wish list too! I hadnt seen those Toms before. So cute! I too love anything lulu lemon! Definitely check out the Silhouette! I really really really want one. Have you heard of the Cricut? Its like a Cricut but doenst require the expensive cartridges. You just use the clipart and fonts on your own computer. I love that! Here's to hoping Santa brings us our wish list ;)

Holly said...

love that they only serve cali wines!