Sunday, December 5, 2010

Friends don't let friends drink alone

When my friend Annie called asking if I wanted to head up to Napa with her yesterday to pick up her bi-monthly shipment at Domaine Carneros, you better believe I was all over that!

(I mean, let's be honest . . . pretty much any excuse to spend the day in Napa is good enough for me.  Dentist appointment, day-long meeting, funeral?  Sure, let's go taste some bubbly!).  I am so lucky to live just 40 minutes away from one of the most beautiful wine countries in the world.  And even though I can't afford to become a member at all of them (like I wish I could) and get shipments of new, surprising, incredible wine several times a year . . . I still love going up and tasting at some of my favorite spots as often as I can!

We started the day off right (with lattes) and then continued it right (with girl talk) on the way up to the winery.  Domaine Carneros looks like an old castle or something, and it sits atop this magnificent hill overlooking rows and rows of grapes.  We each got the sparkling tasting, and they were all so good, I couldn't even decide which was my favorite!

post bubbly flight & feelin' good

After purchasing the best truffle I've ever had in their store (orange mimosa . . . See's Candies, get with the program!), we popped across the street to the chic winery Cuvaison, where we were met with a knowledgeable sommelier (who blogs about wine here) who served us up a very fine (and slightly random) tasting menu.  I came *this close* to caving and buying a membership, but ultimately figured that buying myself expensive gifts right before Christmas was probably an unwise plan.

Our wine guy doubled as a photographer:

at Cuvaison!

After Cuvaison, we figured it would be self-destructive to taste any more wine without a meal, so we drove to downtown Napa and had some food (and another glass of wine) at one of my favorite spots, The Bounty Hunter (which I blogged about in April here).  They have a very impressive wine wall . . .

I'll take one of each!

Annie had some ribs and I had a roasted vegetable sandwich and we both had a blast! ;)  We figured we should call it a day after our third stop, and so we finished the day off right (with another latte) and headed home where, continuing the day's tradition of deliciousness, I proceeded to bake Andes mint chip cookies.

Love it!  Anytime anyone wants to spend the day up in Napa Valley, I'm your girl.  And now I'm off to watch my Saints smash on the Bengals!  Happy Sunday :)

33 comments:

starnes family said...

Geaux Saints!

A wine guy who doubles as a photographer is a keeper.

We married in Half Moon Bay and honeymooned in Napa. Lovely, lovely place.

Rach said...

(I mean, let's be honest . . . pretty much any excuse to spend the day in Napa is good enough for me. Dentist appointment, day-long meeting, funeral? Sure, let's go taste some bubbly!)...OMG this cracked me up! So glad to hear you had a fun day and didn't chip your tooth!

Signe said...

That just sounds like the PERFECT day! Good friends and good wine is the best combination :)

And I almost got the Shower Fresh one but ended up with Warm Cotton, those two were my favorites!

Hugs,
Signe

Cat said...

Looks like a wonderful time! Saw your comment on my blog...so glad that you like your bb purchases :)

Holly said...

love love love napa.

Meghan said...

I would LOVE to return to Napa! It was ridiculously beautiful! I am majorly jealous of your proximity!

Megan said...

Oh my this sounds like my kind of day. I am a wine lover but have never been to a winery, it will have to go on my 2011 to do list. You look gorgeous in your photos. Is your hair different or is it just me?

Phoenix Peacock said...

I'm so jealous of where you live. I can't wait to one day make it back for a actual visit!

Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

YOu just described my perfect date. I've never been to Napa but SO want to go.

Micaela said...

you look gorgeous in that orange scarf and i'm loving the earrings too! and i agree, such the perfect date!!!

followed by football (where they indeed smashed the bangels-- and what a game between your falcons and tampa bay!) and cookies?! i should be your room mate already ;)

love you!!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Napa?!?! Totally jealous! It looks like it was a great time!

Ashley said...

oooo that sounds like a wonderful day! I haven't been wine tasting in napa yet. i need to make a trip soon! =)

this free bird said...

mmmm orange mimosa truffle = heaven!!

champagne=monday morning beverage.

xo,
c

Marz said...

I feel SO unsophisticated not being a wine enthusiast or even a wine drinker for that matter! Can you believe that?! ha I do like some blush wines and I love sangria so does that count? :) haha but that being said - when I do go to San Fran I MUST go to Napa :) Just because of all the beauty you always describe! LOVE seeing that gorgeous photo of you!! :) Sounds like a perfect date!

I'm STILL upset about my Bengals loss to your Saints :( But anytime my TO scores a TD makes me a happy girl :) I love how we keep each other company during the games :) I was on the edge of my seat for every game today! I am incredibly happy for the Cowboys win in OT :) So glad the Steelers won for you as well :)

Miss Caitlin S. said...

LOVE IT! I would go there a million times too if it were 40 minutes away! We actually have a pretty good wine country up here in Oregon and I enjoy it but I also want to experience Napa of course. I love your scarf by the way! So great of you to take the day with your friend wine tasting... sounds like heaven!

Krystal said...

hold the phone, andes choc chip cookes? what?

Erika said...

Ah, wine tasting seriously sounds like such a fun plan with friends. Especially when it is followed up by Andes Mint Chip Cookies - love love!! :)

Bella @Bellgetsreal said...

I love Napa! My husband and I stayed in a little place in Yontville. LOVED IT. So charming and how can you not have a good time with all the lovely wine tastings.

PS thanks for the hair comment... Trick when using curlers is to wash ( I mean scrub the scalp) dry and then after placing curlers give the hair a light mist of hairspray. I do not use hairspray after. Take the rollers out and do not touch your hair until it has cooled completely. I still had curls the next day.

suzanna said...

Fun blog post. So glad you had a great time at our Carneros location. The Tasting Room Manager and photographer (Chris) really knows his stuff and loves helping people have a positive experience. Thanks again for the post. I shared it with other Cuvaison Estate Wines staffers.

www.cuvaison.com

Kimbirdy said...

oh napa is so fun! there's a little bit of everything there - fancy restaurants, 60 y.o. women dressed like they're 16, a geyser (i've seen it with my own eyes!), an old working mill (amazing flour for baking), swimming spots, hiking spots, huge fields of bright yellow flowers, romantic picnic spots, a petrified forest, and all the wine, chocolate and cheese you could ever want to sample! i miss having that right down the road. i hope you enjoy it a little extra for me next time you go. :) it looks like you gals had so much fun!

Jen said...

Friends don't let friends drink alone? AMEN to that!!

Creative Flair said...

I love me some Domaine Carneros!!! How great is it sitting on that outdoor patio. I just got goosebumps.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Glad you liked my shoes. :)

Dancing Branflake said...

I have always wanted to go! I live so close I can't believe I haven't been there. I mean, I don't drink alcohol but I hear the food alone is amazing.

bananas. said...

i know you love your saints but i am starting to feel real sorry for those bengals. lol.

um count me in on the vino/bubbly trip! i love napa. i don't think i go there nearly enough.

Leah said...

Wine tasting is so much fun! I did earlier this year up in Santa Barbara and it was awesome! I need to go back and do it again very soon!

Café Bellini said...

That sounds wonderful! Now that we have moved and settled into our new place, I have been thinking that we need to start stocking up on wine!

drollgirl said...

well this post is making me wish i was up in the napa valley RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!

Jude said...

You just made me crave orange mimos truffles, any kind of See's candies, wine, lattes and a dose of beautiful Napa Valley like nothing else! I can't think of a more perfect way to spend a day than with a girlfriend, doing everything you did. Loved it, and loved your sharing it - thank you for the mini-vacay! :)

Ally said...

That sounds like an absolutely incredible day :] I'm so jealous! haha I love spontaneous and food/drink-filled days with friends. Glad you had a good time!

Absolutely Ladylike said...

Sounds like a fun day :-) Cheers to you girls!

Happy December, cheers: Evi

Poppies and Sunshine said...

I've been wanting to go to Napa Valley for soo long! And it's not like I live too far either! I must do it!

Diana Mieczan said...

That sounds fantastic! I always wanted to visit Napa:) Kisses, sweetie
Have a great Tuesday

Faiza said...

your post vino afterglow looks great! i'd say it's a beauty secret and would support your purchase of a membership. you can put it in the health and beauty column of your budget.