Monday, December 20, 2010

Hello from Georgia!

As soon as I took my seat on the airplane, right next to a couple decked out in head-to-toe Harley Davidson gear (man with long gray ponytail, excess facial hair, Harley Davidson wife beater, and tattoos; woman with excess eyeliner, Harley clothes, Harley ring), I knew I was headed home.  I'm not kidding when I say that I heard them talking about their dog . . . named Harley.

My mama picked me up at the airport, and now I'm writing from my childhood bed (and at 3 am Georgia time).  There's even a framed picture of tiny baby Claire on the nightstand. :)

It feels good to be home, and I can't wait to see all my peeps.  Plus, my stepmom and I are going to get Brazilian blowouts tomorrow--woo hoo for shiny, frizzless locks!

But before I left California, I went to a baby shower for a very special lady.  Many of you know my dear friend Heather from her blog, A Measure Of . . . .  She was one of my first friends in grad school (I met her in my very first poetry workshop as an MFA student!), and we've never looked back--through several relationships, a few wild and mildly embarrassing stories, and trips around the world.  After a few-year stint in Patagonia, Chile, I finally have Heather back with me!  And now she has a husband and a baby (belly) in tow.

On Saturday we convened at The Hobnob, one of the East Bay's finest brunch establishments (my opinion might be swayed due to their $8 bottomless mimosas).  It was so wonderful to see Heather again (although harder to hug her now!) and to finally meet Serkan!  He's just as sweet and adorable as she'd described.

soon-to-be-parents, Serkan & Heather

And because I was so thrilled to be hanging out with Heather again, I didn't even mind that I was the only single person at the table, and the only woman drinking (I had four mimosas)!  Cheers to that, right?

Heather, Heather's belly, and me

She's a pretty damn cute pregnant lady.  She's all belly and she carries it so elegantly!  I cannot wait to meet lil man Yalin.  There's no doubt he's gonna be a stunner, what with his lovely & peaceful parents.  Move to Oakland, Heather!  You'll pretty much have an on-call auntie-sitter! :)

23 comments:

Megan said...

Oh I cannot wait to head home for the holidays, you have me all excited. Congrats to your friend - how exciting!! Haha dont worry I have also been the only one drinking at certain dinners cant resist a delicious glass of wine.

this free bird said...

Loves it!! Thanks so much for sharing Claire!! Heather looks fantastic (you too my dear) and it's great to see Serkan here in the good ol' USA.

Enjoy your blowout lady...provide deets. I've got a frizz mop that almost rival a fro right now. I kinda like it though :)

xo,
c

Jessi said...

Where are you going for your blowout it GA? I live near ATL and REALLY want to get it done, but I'm not sure where to go?

Phoenix Peacock said...

Ohhh mimosas. my favorite! well, anything champagne really! I think that is the only drink I might have to sip on occasion regardless of if my baby bump ever actually gets a baby or not.

Yay for being home!
And I think its Amazing and wonderful that you and heather are finally back to seeing each other after keeping in touch through all that!

Jax said...

Aw have fun at home, girlie!! :) And I never mind being the only girl at the table indulging...haha.. :) Enjoy many festive beverages and I'm cheersing you from a few states away! XOXO!

Jude said...

Aw, this is so so sweet! After my totally unexpected hiatus from the internet all last week (thanks to a crazy workweek), it's so lovely to come back and see this! Heather is such a sweetheart and how amazing and wonderful you both met in grad school. Some of my loveliest friends in life are ones I first met in grad school :) So happy to see you guys were able to meet up - you all look gorgeous!

Hope you've been enjoying the time at home and your week ahead is terrific!

Marz said...

I loved thinking of you writing that from you childhood bed! :) I wish you would have snapped a picture of little baby Claire from the nightstand - I would have loved to "awwed" over you :) So glad you get to be home for the holidays!!!! Enjoy this special time with your family and friends!

I hope one day I'm a cute preggo lady like Heather! Yalin - what a cool name! All the little ones in your life always seem to have the cutest names. Never anything boring haha I love it!

Kimbirdy said...

oooh, the hobnob sounds awesome! i'll have to keep that on my list of "things i never got to try when i lived there but will when i visit." and i LOVE the harley people on your plane. haha! i spent a lot of my growing up years in tennessee and the few times i've traveled back to see my mom, i've been struck by the very obviously southern people waiting with me at the terminal. it's pretty entertaining. have fun back home!

April said...

Glad you made it home safely!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Have a great time visiting at home! Enjoy the holiday!

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

H is so cute- I am so glad to see photos of you both- and S and the bump!
Bottomless mimosa- hell yah- that is awesome!

starnes family said...

She is super cute pregnant. I look like a marshmallow with appendages.

Childhood bed. Precious.

Enjoy!

heather yalin said...

Yay, Claire! I am sitting in an internet cafe... or let's be more north american about this... a coffee shop with wifi :) the only way i am able to look at blogs at all these days! Oh, how i miss my blog friends! Thank you for this sweet post. It's so good to be seeing you again! I don't think any baby shower is complete without bottomless mimosas. XOXOXOX

Jen said...

Hi Claire,
I'm so glad you were able to make it to the shower before you left for Georgia! It was lovely to meet you. : ) Happy Holidays!!
xo Jen

Micaela said...

awww it's so awesome to see two of my favorites side by side :) I'm so happy you have her back and i know she's happy to be stateside!

she IS all belly isn't she? that's what i thought from her beautiful preggo pics on her pretty blog. I know i won't be... not if i keep eating cheetos and christmas cookies as i have been ;) oh and fries! don't forget my large order of fries today lol

and YES! cheers to that-- mimosas! YUM!

baby claire IS SOOO ADORABLE! you need to share that pic ;) marianne and her desktop image of the day LOL!!!

Georgia... oh Georgia... SOON!!! ;)

LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU!

ps. i was cracking up at the harley family!! LOL

Erin said...

Welcome home and Merry, Merry Christmas, Claire!!! xo

kara lynn said...

home sweet home!

happy holidays!

Faiza said...

yay you are home! hope you are soaking up hugs from everywhere!

bananas. said...

ooooohhhh!!! hobnob sounds like my kind of place. i'm way into anything that includes bottomless mimosas :)

shopgirl said...

Merry Christmas Claire! Glad you're having a great time!

Signe said...

Oh I love that picture of you and Heather! Have a great time in Georgia and a happy holiday :)

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

How cool that you and Heather go way back! She has such a sweet blog and looks great!

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Hope you are enjoying your time at hm- I think you should totally make the playdough- it is so much fun for everyone!
Just make sure your dad's crazy dog doesn't eat it! Spike is going to be sick from the ammount he's eaten!