Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Christmas Pressies Part 1

I totally want to hear about what all of you got for Christmas (what was your favorite gift you gave?  What about your favorite gift you received?).  There are a few gifts I want to tell you about, starting with just one today.

Meet my friend Kimberly:

me on the left, Kimberly on the right
at the Brick Store, one of my favorite Atlanta spots

Kimberly and I met ten years ago when we both worked at a very trendy European bar/restaurant/cafe in Atlanta called Cafe Intermezzo.  I was home from college for the summer and Kimberly was getting ready to head off to Columbia in the fall (we're both from Georgia).  We've stayed friends through all these years and several moves, and I think she's come to visit me pretty much everywhere I have lived!

After finishing her degree at Columbia in New York City, Kimberly joined the Peace Corps, spent a couple years in Africa, and is now in her third year of a Ph.D. program in cultural anthropology at Northwestern.  Don't I have such interesting friends?

She gave me this book of poems for Christmas:


The incredible first book of Nick Lantz, We Don't Know We Don't Know is a collection of poems sprung from quotations from Donald Rumsfeld and Pliny the Elder.  What a duo!  I read almost the entire collection on the plane ride back to California (thank you so much Kimberly, totally made my long flight bearable!).  The poems deal with a lot of eerie "what ifs," cause & effect, mythology, and the grittiness of rurality.  Pretty incredible how Lantz incorporates these bewildering quotes of Rumsfeld and turns them into fascinating poems that, at their core, aren't even about politics.  

I love discovering new poets--thank you Kimberly!

Now tell me about some of your Christmas gifts!  (I have another one to share soon).

16 comments:

E. Charlotte said...

That looks like a wonderful book! (From a wonderful friend too!) This year I was excited to give rather personal gifts to my loved ones. Gifts that were either inside jokes or really hit the nail on the head. They were all received with smiles and laughs and it felt great. :) My favorite gift received this year was a pair of cowboy boots--for a lot of reasons. Especially because a Montana girl has got to have a pair!

bananas. said...

that gift is perfect for you! i know how much you love your poetry. as for me, i got the book i'm reading (yea i got that the author is writing about the main guy. lol), a bulldog sweater, several disney ornaments ('cause i know how much you love them), an instax camera, film, blankets, panini maker and i think that's it.

Melanie's Randomness said...

I love poetry & the what ifs must be cool! If I see this in the library I might pick it up! What a thoughtful gift! My mom got my dad a book that he wanted for years & could never find. Bless the internet she found it. He was so happy he cried. =)

Melanie's Randomness

Len♥reNeverM♥re said...

Lovely!
You guys look like sisters!!
I'm so bad...the best-est gifts are usually gift certs or cash~ haha...

xo*

orsoifeel said...

I love discovering new poets too. Thanks for this new name (to me). I have been putting together a post of a few pressies but I keep getting side tracked, urgh!

Diana Mieczan said...

We gave Balazs' mom a photo book we made for her full of family photos and quotes. She really loved it! Kisses and wish you a lovely day

Ps: I am hosting a great home decor GIVEAWAY today, so please join in :)

Meghan said...

What a thoughtful gift! It is so perfect for you:) And yes, your friends are super interesting - but then again, so are you!

bklyn76 said...

what a perfect gift for you! sounds so interesting!

Jen said...

My favorite gift that I gave would have to be my gift to my mother: a Pandora bracelet charm. She's been wanting that bracelet for a couple years, so my dad got her the bracelet and I got her a charm.

My favorite present I received would be my tea box from my sister. It wasn't on my list, and I never would have thought of getting one, but it's perfect. She was so thoughtful -- even inscribing it with my name and an A.A. Milne quote (I love Winnie-the-Pooh).

FourJedis said...

Where in Africa has Kimberly went? I didn't really know who I was till I spent time there and it's my favorite place on this planet. Yay for her and friends like her. My favorite present was (and this sounds cheesy, but who doesn't love cheese) was getting to see the reactions on my boys' (hubby included) faces for their Christmas presents... Lots of thought was put into every gift this year, and it made the day perfect. I do love my new soda machine and my Massage Envy membership - the masseuse I see there is amazing!!!!!

starnes family said...

Great present, Kimberly!

Oooh......a kindle, maybe. I am new to the world of electronics......so it's fun!

this free bird said...

Yay for pressies! My fave to give was a pair of knee high fringe minnetonkas for the 5 year old niece...with a buffalo plaid bubble skirt. I think I live vicariously through the gifts I give her!

xo,
C

Mrs.B said...

We gave lots of framed pics...LOL, but I got a cakestand(that I hinted for--a lot)and an autographed pic of Kristin Chenoweth for my "wicked" scrapbook room.

My favorite gift was what my children did for my husband. They gave him an Old Spice kit/travel bag and re-wrote the commercial:Look at me, now look at your man. It was wonderful!!!!

Marz said...

What a GORGEOUS photo of you!!! I love how you two have continued to be friends after all this time. Your friendship is such a blessing and I know our relationship will be exactly the same - it will also last forever! :) Kimberly certainly knows you SO well to know that's the most perfect gift for you! I'm so intrigued by your little review - I will have to check this collection out for sure! And I'm glad you're still posting about Christmas gifts, because I'm SO far behind and will have to do the same on my blog haha :) Hope you're having a good day Claire! love you!

Phoenix Peacock said...

You are so enchanting and pretty. What a fabulous gift! I hope you'll share a poem or two out of it.

Micaela said...

what a beautiful photo of you two! and you do look like sisters :) i love that you have so many wonderful friends and yet through moves etc. you've kept in touch. love it!

and the poetry... so perfectly you. you DO have such fabulous friends :)

you saw the shoes i got from UO for max. he got me a polaroid camera with film and ribbon for my typewriter. My main gift was my warby parker glasses-- LOVE them! and i'm pretty sure i've lived in my pajamas from my mother-in-law lol

i also got an AMAZING gift from you that i can't wait to share! edward kept me company on my drive up here ;) can't wait to blog about it.

xo