Monday, January 3, 2011

Things that Happened in Georgia

1.  Mama's back yard looked like this on Christmas Day!  And this was just the beginning of it--we got a few more inches by late afternoon:

note her neighbor's well behind the fence.  he's old school.

2.  Ignatius had surgery on Christmas Eve!  Thankfully it was just a benign lump (probably from eating too many loaves of bread/hamburger buns/plastic bags full of meat/chocolate/ice cream):

real convo that happened when Dad and I picked him up from surgery:

Dad:  Okay Clairey, Ignatius is probably going to be sedated . . .
Woman Behind Counter:  Ummm . . . NOPE!  He was howling the minute he woke up.
(Ignatius comes romping down the hall, barking, with vet tech in tow)
Dad:  Well.  I see he's not sedated.
Vet Tech:  This dog was like . . . a bomb in Afghanistan as soon as the surgery was over!
Other Vet Tech (shouting from parking lot):  We're not sad to see that dog go!

at home, post-surgery

3.  I drank egg nog out of my grandma's antique glasses in front of the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve:


4. I got to see this lil thing:

Lesley's daughter, Matilda

5.  My daddy got this big ass tattoo (only partially completed):

(a Skip Williamson original)

6. annnnnnnnnd . . . Micaela came to see me!!

I promise I am not a zombie!  

You all know how much I love this girl . . . cause I talk about her all the time.  Sadly, she's been living in Virginia (and I in San Francisco) for the duration of our friendship.  But as fortune would have it, I was at my mama's house in Georgia just as Micaela and her sweet husband were making the long road trip from Madison Heights, Virginia to their new home, El Paso, Texas!  They planned to stop and stay at Chip's grandfather's old farm house their first night on the road . . . conveniently located just 15 minutes from my mama's house!  

And although our time together was nowhere near long enough (Mama and I cooked breakfast for them last Thursday morning, the same day I left for the airport to head back to California), it was wonderful!  But hugging Micaela live and in the flesh only makes me yearn for a longer visit . . . she's so very dear to me (and every bit as beautiful and sweet in person as you all think she is).  Here's to a real trip very soon!!

Happy New Year . . . it was back to the grind for me today with classes & classes to teach.  Hope everyone's January is off to a good start!

22 comments:

J. said...

1. Bleh- snow. So glad we didn't get any here in southern Oklahoma.
2. I.Love.Ignatius. End of story.
3. Your dad's tattoo is legit. I didn't get to get mine over the holidays... but soon! I want to see your dad's when it's completed-please!
4. I'm still incredibly jealous that Micaela got to meet you in 'real life'... but I'm also extremely happy that you two were able to meet. You BOTH are dear to me, and I love seeing a pic of you together. Trip, soon?

Diana Mieczan said...

Glad that Ignatius is doing well and that is such a cool tattoo! Happy New Year:)
Kisses

Micaela said...

GA is magical ;) I still can't get over how amazing it was the moment i saw you through the window! i screamed and couldn't wait to hug you. You are just as beautiful, smart, fun, and fashionable as i imagined you would be. I couldn't believe how lovely you and your mama were to cook for us and her house is GORGEOUS! i wish i could have stayed all day.
Here's to a wine weekend SOOOOOON!!!!

Ig- he cracks me up! i love that your dad (with the rock star tat!) was warning you gently that Ignatius would be out of it ... not that beagle! lol i love it! and i'm so glad he's okay.

Matilda... when i see adorable babies like her i can't wait to have one! she's precious.

love you sweet girl!

this free bird said...

Welcome back Clairey!! (love that) I made it out unscathed...Ignatius is a total hoot girlfriend!!

Let us catch up.

xo,
C

jeanette from everton terrace said...

I believe the snow, we even had a few minutes of flurries here in Phoenix last week, craziness! Can't get over how cute Matilda is(especially her name), how pretty your grandma's glasses are, how big your Dad's tattoo is or how freakin' hilarious the vet story is. The guy yelling in from the parking lot is the best. I just love that darn Ignatius.

Rach said...

Ok, the Ignatius story cracked me up so much that I had to read it to my mom. He is such a cute little stinker. That is so exciting that you finally got to meet Micaela! You are so blessed to have met such a wonderful friend through blogging.

Jax said...

Aw fun post and glad you and Micaela got to hang! So cool!! :) I am also very glad Ignatius' surgery went well and everything was okay. :) Happy New Year, girl!

Annie Cristina said...

Glad you're doing well, and that you met Micaela, and that Ignatius seems to be recovering just fine! Hope your return to school goes smoothly. <3

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

ignatius is hilarious- totally awesome in an 'i'm glad he's not my dog' sort of way!

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

Aww so nice that you and Micaela got to meet up!

Matilda btw is TOO cute!

The Girlie Blog said...

Awww, you had a white Christmas! How lovely!

Tillie said...

oh this is the best. your dads tattoo is amazing, white christmas' rule. and you and micaela together = THEE BEST!

Hiking in Stilettos said...

What a wonderful trip to GA! I love that it snowed on Christmas. And how could you be sad to see that cute puppy face go?? Glad he's ok. :)

AmericanBridget (Jones) said...

I'm in love with your dad's beagle. That is so typical of a beagle --- to be full of energy and life even after being sedated. Glad you got to meet Michela. How cool. Maybe one day we shall meet when I am back out in SF. I so miss living there. Too bad our paths didn't cross before I moved away :(. Happy New Year, Claire.

bklyn76 said...

love that your dad got such a big-a$$ tat! i think all that eggnog gave you the zombie eyes!

it must have been hard to leave GA, even if you did leave that crazy dog behind! ;)

Meghan said...

Aww! I hope Ignatius is feeling better and recovering quickly!

I love that you and Micaela were able to meet in person! You two are such genuinely wonderful people, and I am glad you were able to meet someone so special to you!

Hope your 2011 is off to a great start!

Marz said...

You said it - back to the grind and extremely busy bla :P So I'm SO glad I took a little break during my work day to come to your blog because that Ig story just brightened up my day!!!! He makes me giggle so freakin hard! :) I just adore that pup!

You have the coolest dad ever!!! :) Not only does he make delicious food, met my husband T.O. and Flava Flav (love that pic of them together!), but he got one amazing tat! Love it!!! Makes me long to get another one BAD!

So happy you had an amazing time in your GA. I'm so incredibly happy that Micaela was part of it! If only for a few short hours. I still think you two were meant to be as close as you are. It was fate your mom lives so close to Chip's family's old farm house! And that your trips aligned like that - I mean had Chip and Micaela left any later they could have missed you on their road trip and vice versa if you had flown out one day earlier - it was just meant to be!!!! I believe in signs!! And I believe we MUST plan a real trip soon!!! I cannot wait!
Love ya! xo

Faiza said...

georgia was so good to you (other than that crazy throat stuff.) i feel so happy for you!!!

you deserve so much love and light in 2011. i wish you everything and MORE!

bananas. said...

um your dad is bad ass...

first flava flav.

no a new tattoo?! yea he rocks.

Lauren Nicole said...

that's too cute about your dog! haha what a warrior he is! <3 <3

how neat it must have been to have a white Christmas! miss those so much. hope the day was as magical as it looked.

must have been amazing to meet caela in person. cannot wait until the day comes when i do. :]

<3

JMay said...

Lovely holiday pics! Your Dad's tattoo = rad!

homemade grits said...

look at that tattoo! woo!

i'm glad that you and michaela got to meet. such a crazy world we live in. isn't it great?!