Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Places You Don't Wanna Go: Prisons, Jails, Hospitals

If I told you I'd taught at the high school, met with an observer, had a hair appointment, driven across three bridges, had a phone meeting, taught at the prison, and been to the office where I'm volunteering to pick up audio equipment--all today--would you believe me?

Well, 'tis the truth, and you better believe I'm hanging out with a glass of Cabernet right now after all that.  And the kicker is that I have to be at the jail two counties away at 7:30 in the morning.

Amidst all that havoc I listed above, my stepmom called and told me that my daddy is in the hospital!  They suspect he has a stomach ulcer. :(  I spoke to him today and he sounds just fine, and the doctors say it's all routine and probably not serious, but I still can't help but panic because a) I love my daddy and b) I'm an anxious freak.  Therefore, I've been googling all the things that could be terribly wrong with him.  My sister (the calmer Kiefer daughter to say the least) had to say "Claire--step away from the computer!"  I sure know how to work myself into a frenzy.

He's on a business trip in Minneapolis (of all places to get stuck in the hospital!) so my stepmom flew up there this afternoon just to make sure he's A-OK.  Fortunately she remembered to bring Alter-natius with her, since the real Ignatius isn't allowed on planes.  They texted me this pic tonight:


It may not be the real Ignatius, but at least my dad has a beagle in his immediate proximity.  And trust me--the stuffed Ignatius is a better choice as a hospital guest.  No one deserves to have the actual Ignatius in the building with them when they're recovering from surgery/birth/tests.

Please send all your positive thoughts to my daddy and cross your fingers that Friday (when I'm stepping on a plane headed to NYC!) gets here soon.

Weird news:  Tonight when I got to San Quentin, they were removing all ~1,000 beds from the H-Unit, in order to replace the springs on the metal bunk beds with a straight-welded "cookie sheet" slate.  Why?  Cause it occurred to the higher-ups that inmates could theoretically make shanks out of the "springs" in the frame (no, it hasn't been happening--I asked.  This is "preventative").  This is what the prison bunk beds looked like until today:



from, since I obvs can't take my own pics inside

and this is what they will look like from here on out:


Whew, what a relief that our state government is doing that.  Feels good to know that our tax dollars are being put to such good use!  

27 comments:

starnes family said...

I know the beagle must help. Must! Prayers....

chels.e. said...

I am definately sending good thoughts your way! i hope your daddy get better and you are able to take some time to relax in the near future!!

Faiza said...

I believe that you can do a million things in a day for sure! Your passion for kids and justice and friends and familly is so inspiring.

Does Alter-natius have his own Facebook page as well? Hoping your Daddy gets out of the hospital very soon!!!

AmericanBridget (Jones) said...

My beagles and I are sending good vibes and prayers your daddy's way!!!! They also give a shout out to Ig. Hope its all routine and nothing to fret over. God is good all the time though!

Lauryn said...

Wow, that's quite a day you had there! I hope your dad is feeling better very soon.

And shanks out of bed springs? I'm actually surprised that none of them thought of that first!

nicoleciomek said...

If i learned anything from having cancer, do not read the internet about medical problems! This was one of the first things my doctor told me - he said "it's all crap, don't read it!".

I will keep your dad in my thoughts! I hope he has a quick recovery. Good luck with your busy week and enjoy NYC!

ag. said...

Sending positive thoughts to you and and your daddy! I'm terrible when it comes to thinking the worst and would definitely need to be told to step away from the computer!

Marz said...

I can be a bit of a hypochondriac and my poor co-worker Laura has to hear all about what is ailing me and every single time she has to tell me to stay away from Web MD hahaha so I hope you listened to your sister!!

I'm sure it's nothing serious, but I know just seeing your dad in a hospital bed is enough to make you panic. I'm sending all kinds of warm and positive thoughts and prayers your sweet daddy's way! Makes me feel so much better that not only is your stepmother there with him, but so is Alter-natius :) (Got a mental image of the actual Ig there and it made me giggle thinking of all the mischief he could get into at a hospital! hahaha)

So glad you had a relaxing weekend - your day sounds insane! And NYC this weekend - lucky, lucky, lucky girl!

Phoenix Peacock said...

I love that you guys have a "substitute" dog for hospital stays. That is such a good idea. Next time I have surgery I'm requiring this from the hubbs.

sheba said...

i'm tired just reading your post!

i hope alter-natius helps your daddy get well soon.

and super-glad your students aren't making bed-shanks.

Katy Mary said...

Wow sounds like a busy busy day. I hope your Dad feels better asap, no one wants to hear that a parent is in the hospital. Here's hoping you have a quick week! oh and too funny about the hospital beds....

this free bird said...

Praying for your dad, Miss Claire. I'm glad to know Alter-natius is at his side. I fear Ignatius may have caused mayhem at the hospital further annoying that ulcer. oops! Keep us in the loop about your dad, okay? xoxo- Carrie

Micaela said...

i've been praying for your sweet daddy since I got your message-- please keep me posted! he looks great and i'm sure it's nothing either but good vibes doesn't hurt right? he looks so cute with Alter-natius-- man that cracked me up!!! i love your dad's love for your horrible beagle ;)

thanks to you we get the inside scoop of st. q! how crazy and neat all at once.

love you! x

sharonlei said...

OH Claire, I'll def have your dad in my prayers.. positive thoughts sent your way... :D

xx Love & Aloha

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Oh my goodness, Claire! My thoughts are with you and your daddy! He's a strong man he'll pull through! How do I know, he's the father of that crazy little beagle that nobody else could handle!!

Are you flying to NYC for fun? Or another conference? Do tell! :)

danielle and dinosaur toes said...

okay, first, i hope everything is okay with your dad! i can totally relate to being an uncontrollable worrier, which i know doesn't make anything better, but try to be calm!

and, that's so funny that he has an alternatius! after hearing about the real ignatius, i imagine there would be a lawsuit if he pulled any of his usual stunts in the hospital.

Mrs.B said...

Wow! you are superwoman!
I'll keep your dad in my thoughts and have fun in NYC!

drollgirl said...

YOU ARE SUCH A BUSY BEEEEEEE!!!

and you/your dad are in my thoughts. i think he will be just fine. BEAGLE POWER! lol

p.s. most folks at san quentin will be familiar with the term "on the lam". it means on the run -- often times on the run from THE LAW! :)

Annie Cristina said...

Please know your dad is in my thoughts and prayers. And also that I think Alter-natius is the cutest thing in the world. *hug*

J. said...

Good thoughts/vibes/prayers for your Daddy! I can only imagine what seeing a pic of your Daddy in the hospital is like. :(
You've been BUSY, girl!

bananas. said...

that picture of your dad and his faux puppers is super cute! i love that they sent you that. hope he heals up nicely! get better mr. k...from naners and the nuggets! xoxo.

Gracie said...

Ohh! I hope your dad is better! And it's sweet that he has an Alter-natius to keep him company. x

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

Woops, something happened there.
Sending good vibes and hugs to your and your family!

Hmm I am very curious about the springs in the frame now (can't see it too well from second picture).

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

Len♥reNeverM♥re said...

hope your daddy gets better soon Claire!
and you are able to take some R&R time!
HUGS

Meredith said...

Alter-natius just cracked me up! I love it! Sending prayers and good thoughts for your daddy. I hope he feels better soon.

And yes, isn't it crazy the things they think of in prisons/jails? Though when I was touring our huge county jail as part of my internship two summers ago, the deputy showed me their collection of contraband that they'd collected in the last year, and some of the things the inmates used to make shanks did definitely surprise me. How you make a shank out of a 3-inch toothbrush is beyond me, but some of these guys are talented!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Glad to hear your dad is going to be ok though! Hope he gets out soon! And that's great that they found a better way to have them sleep on something that they can't use as a weapon later!