Friday, March 25, 2011

A Series of Mishaps

Thursday started off . . . a little rocky.  I woke up in plenty of time, ate breakfast at home (never happens), and had a nice chat with Summer before heading to work.  But, sometimes I can be a little oblivious to the forecast.  So when I put on my cotton maxi-dress (that's too long for me btw) and canvas Toms, let's just say I wasn't prepared for the apocalyptic weather awaiting me outside.

Seriously, y'all, it was torrential.  And I couldn't find my umbrella.  Because of rain-induced traffic, I arrived at the high school just in time . . . with not a parking space in sight.  Literally not within any reasonable distance.  After driving around and around and around, and with the late bell ringing, I finally parked in front of a gate (NO PARKING ZONE), put my hazards on, and prayed that if Balboa decided to tow, that they'd figure it was a teacher's car and make an announcement: "White Honda Civic about to be towed!  Get your shit together, Ms. Kiefer!"

My plan was to teach class (while praying the whole time that my car wasn't being towed) and then run out and move it to a legit spot immediately.  Which is what I did . . .

but the damn thing wouldn't start.  Perhaps because I'd left my hazards on too long.  By this point, I was DRENCHED.  I called AAA and sat in my car awaiting help.   At last, help came, in the form of a former-Balboa-student-turned-AAA-driver.  He jumped my car, and off I went . . .

only to hydroplane across 6 lanes of freeway.  I am not exaggerating when I say that my car began to spin out of control, and did multiple donuts all across the freeway.  Probably four complete circles, from the left lane to the right exit ramp.  At one point, I was staring in the face of a semi-truck heading in my direction (head on).  This was certainly the closest encounter I've had with death, and it was only a miracle that the semi-truck could see far enough ahead to understand what was happening and slow down in time.  He (and all the other cars) stopped completely on the freeway while I spun.  I've never experienced anything like it.

My stomach was in knots for hours.  And I went straight to the tire place and replaced my back two tires. This was the scariest thing that's ever happened to me.  So thankful I'm alive.

And then today I overslept and missed my plane.  But all is well in the world now, as I sit in 24A writing this blog post, browsing twitter, and sipping my vodka tonic. ;)

Speaking of twitter, I'm new to it!  Come find me, as I need more awesome/funny people to follow.
@clairekiefer

I hesitated for a couple years but then realized that if I jumped on the twitter train, I could follow the Jersey Shore cast.  And why do I want to do that?  To see the Sitch tweet about #GFI (Grenade Free Italy) and to get updates from Vinny like this:


 Vinny Guadagnino 





Life is a garden. Mad hoes.


Happy Friday, y'all! You'll be hearing from me (and Summer!) soon!

20 comments:

April said...

I've hydroplaned before, and nearly totaled my car, and my sister was in the car with me. It was the worst experience of my life, basically. The car nearly flipped, it broke my axel, and we stopped only feet away from hitting a tree head-on. 0.o I'm glad you're safe and sound, though! I know how anxious it can make you. I may have to drive the 5 hours back to school in the rain Sunday. :(
Hope you have an amazing time in NYC!

this free bird said...

Claire I'm so glad you're okay. I literally tensed up just reading it. Holy frickin mother of pearl. Shizola. All those words. Girl you be careful in the big apple. Have a vodka tonic for me and hells bells sister friend you know I'm following you on the twitter. Tweet on.

xo,
C

starnes family said...

OMG, Claire. Seriously scary. I'm so glad you're OK. I'm not trying to be overly dramatic, but situations like this make you realize how lucky you are to have written this post and how lucky we are to be reading it. Life can change so quickly.

Enjoy your tonic. Have another and celebrate!

sheba said...

glad you finally got on that plane. i don't follow twitter, but just b/c you and vinny are on it, i may start. xo

Tiffany said...

Holy cow.....I hope that your crazy couple of days is over and your trip to New York is less adventurous! I spun out once on ice--same situation with a semi coming right at me. So scary! Glad you're okay! Drink up on that VT!

~Tiffany

Kimbirdy said...

oh my gosh claire!!! that sounds like the most terrifying thing ever. i'm SO glad you're okay! and i hope that new york can be a really awesome treat for having to go through so much hell on thursday.

Faiza said...

I am so thankful that you are okay and happier that you are in NYC!

I hydroplaned (is it still called that in a snowstorm?) and went from the extreme left lane to the extreme right lane (across 5 lanes) with a few donuts in between. I ended up on the shoulder facing traffic head on. Good times! I was so scared that I peed a little. And I lost my voice for a couple days from screaming in terror.

Enjoy the subway and cabs in NYC.

Annie Cristina said...

I'm so happy to hear you are okay! That must have been so scary. At least you have a little get-away this weekend -- enjoy it! :D

Phoenix Peacock said...

Oh my goodness. This sounds so scary.I am so glad you are okay. And have another vodka tonic for me. I'm toasting to your health, to your relaxation, and to a great time with Summer

Lori said...

HAHAHAHAHA love that tweet! you are awesome, following the jersey shore cast. So far i'm only following Snooki and PaulyD (twitter name lorieiko)

I'm sorry you had such an awful day, but there is always tomorrow!

Sarah said...

This is a really terrifying story! I'm so glad that you're okay. I hope your weekend is relaxing. I'm going to find you on twitter. :)

Kara said...

Oh noooooo!!! That's honestly got to be the worst day ever. I'm so glad yo umade it out in one piece...now go and have like 12 drinks. Have a BLAST on vacay!

Lindsey said...

Oh my goodness Claire, that sounds insane! Thank GOD you are ok! I'm so glad about that. I would HAVE to have a drink (or 10) on that plane. Enjoy your time away!

p.s. umm totally need to get on Twitter to follow them.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

OMG, Claire!! So thankful you are OK! You were just brought into my life, you cannot bail out on me this quickly!!

Glad you are enjoying NY!

Down and Out Chic said...

oh my gosh claire, so scary. i'm glad that you're safe! wow, what a day.

daniela said...

The hydroplaning is SCARY - glad you're ok!

Following you on Twitter btw :) Also, Vinny has a blog & it's pretty good actually: http://vinnyguadagnino.blogspot.com

H. Gillham said...

Don't even want to think about your hydroplaning.
I hope you enjoy your trip.

Hugs, sweet thing...

Oh yea, and the thing about the "dress being too long" totally cracked me up. I still see you sitting in my classroom and tugging at your short skirts when you got up to move or sat down.

:)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Oh my gosh! I'm glad you're ok!! That would be so scary. Following you on twitter now!

drollgirl said...

shit shit SHIT! your hydroplaning story is TERRIFYING!!!! gah!!! i am SO GLAD you are ok! and getting those tires replaced was VERY SMART. yeee=ikes!

undomestic chica said...

Oh my gosh! Glad to hear you're okay!