Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Hoping to return to normalcy soon . . .

Right now, all my time & energies are wrapped up in this:


My students will be sharing their stories and poems about their experiences with arrest and incarceration at this event on Thursday night.  It will be incredible (we do it every year--it always is), but let me tell you it is so much work.  Between preparing them, arranging transportation, calling parents/guardians, rehearsing their stories, and promoting the event (if you live in the Bay Area, come!), there isn't much time for anything else.

Except that 6 week grades are due today and I am working every night this week.

Wish me grace and luck and a few extra hours each day. :)

14 comments:

Summer Athena said...

one day this will all pay off, i promise.

i wish i could be there!

Summer Athena said...

i sent this to Adam's family in Marin and put it on FB. Love you.

Marcie said...

Sounds like a great cause to be working on.

x marcie

sheba said...

you are an amazing woman and i'm sure your students are grateful for that. xo

this free bird said...

i wish i lived in the bay area claire. would love to take this in. go girl.

xo,
c

Lori said...

this sounds like an amaaaazing idea. :)

Meghan said...

Good luck, girl! This sounds like an amazing event!

Micaela said...

oh how i wish i could go!!!

you never cease to amaze me. xo

bananas. said...

sending you all the luck and deep breaths you might need!!!

sounds like an amazing event.

April said...

You're amazing! Good luck!!!

Katie said...

I wish I could go to this!!! I really do! I worked with recovering meth addicts to put on a reading of their narratives for members from our community. There were over 200 people - judges, prosecutors, family, professors, friends - and I remember being so scared FOR them! The whole production was such a rewarding experience!

Faiza said...

i am so excited to hear how the event goes claire! i know you are swamped but i also know you wouldn't pack it all in unless you were passionate about what you did. how lucky that you get to live your passion! good luck tomorrow night!

Marz said...

Claire you are amazing! Your passion is so inspiring! I know those kids are so lucky to have you as their biggest cheerleader. Your belief in them truly makes a difference in their lives. I know they'll always remember you as their favourite teacher! Good luck tomorrow night! I wish I was in the audience, I would love to be there!! xoxo

Lauryn said...

Wow, this sounds like a very intense but very important event.IT's wonderful that there are people like you dedicating time and energy so that young people in these circumstances have a voice.