Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Energy. And Lack Thereof.

Today I learned a valuable lesson: no Shredding before coffee.  Actually, that should be no anything before coffee.

I'm committed to getting this 30 Day Shred done in a reasonable amount of time (roughly 34 days, as I'm taking Thursdays off).  For the past three weeks, I've kept my date with Jillian Michaels every single day except Thursdays.  Today is Level 2, Day 8 . . . two more days of this and onto the last 10 days.  The home stretch is calling!  


On Tuesdays I can go into work a little bit late, because I don't have a morning class.  I slept in a little bit today and then tried to hop right out of bed and into the Shred . . . and I just couldn't.  I got a little bit into circuit one and I turned it off.  Couldn't do it!  I thought, "I'm going to do this tonight when I get home, when I'll have so much more energy."  And it's true, I will.  I'm such a night person.  And by then I will have had my coffee.


So instead, I put on my work clothes and made a Berry Green Monster smoothie.  I think this is a much better choice.  I'll tackle Jillian tonight, cause who can look at this face before having at least had a cup of coffee?



I think it's also the time of year.  May is rough for teachers.  Not to sound all "woe is me," but damn, it's when everything is culminating, and seniors are on the verge of failing and there isn't much more you can do, and final exams are within our reach, and there's the rush of semester grades due, plus packing up our offices/classrooms . . . it's exhausting.  Visions of lying on a beach with a (30 Day) shredded tummy enchant me. ;)

If you have energy secrets, tell me.  I'll take anything I can get!  

p.s. you should see what I'm wearing.  It's hilarious.  Clearly my fatigue has spread to my fashion sense, as well.  My current philosophy: grab from the top of the clean laundry pile & go! Hopefully no one will notice my polka dotted skirt, floral tank top, and cardigan with holes in it.  Ha!

14 comments:

Kori Donahue said...

I'm inspired by you honey! It's so hard to exercise! Keep up the great work! Kori xoxo

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

that sounds like quite the outfit!
Good luck with your plan.
A green smoothie sounds good!

Erin {pughs' news} said...

No way I could face Jillian Michaels first thing in the morning. I admire you for even attempting it!

I hear ya about May. It's an exhausting time of year for teachers, these next several weeks. I'm starting to feel it already.

Jax said...

I have been dealing with a lack of energy lately too! Majorly! I even went and got a multivitamin the other day b/c I convinced myself I was anemic.. haha.. I dont think I really am. Maybe it's the time of year? I dunno! But, I too prefer evening workouts. I just am soooo much better in the evenings. That said, it's SO hard to commit every evening b/c things come up! Sheez! Way to go on the shred, girl! You've already made it farther than I would!

undomestic chica said...

I'm impressed how much you've been doing it. I told myself I'd start the Shred again May 1st - hasn't happened. I've heard working out in the morning is best for you but I think working out in the evening is better than me not working out at all. Maybe I should think of your dedication and it will help motivate me:)

Phoenix Peacock said...

B vitamins are a godsend. Particularly B6, but to make it work you have to be taking a B complex.
Having chronic fatigue syndrome is probably what inhibits me most when trying to work out regularly. So I know the feeling well.

Micaela said...

i'm so amazed at your will-power! and for giving US pointers... like "my fitness pal"... wow eye opening! lol

i never have energy -- and always need copious amounts of coffee! they say working out gives you energy so you're on the right path right? :)

love you!!!

Deviled Megs said...

I am trying her newer "shred" like DVD and have found I like it much more than the 30 day shred. Either way, there really is something to her whole 3-2-1 thing, super effective!

wfayew said...

I started P90X in February (granted, I've been slacking the past 3 weeks because of a twisted ankle that came from a drunken tumble) but I always do it in the mornings. I didn't have the energy at first, but I think working out in the morning every morning is what gave me energy. I always felt so much more energized throughout the day.

Kristin W said...

Well I have to applaud you for going for 34 days! That's awesome! I've had a similar experience with Jillian on the weekend too soon after my usually larger breakfast and multiple cups of coffee.

So good to have other teacher bloggers to understand...because you really can't understand until you've experienced it. I will TOTALLY be dreaming of my Shred body on the beach after this is all over!

Lindsey said...

Oh goodness, I drank coffee one Saturday before cardio and i thought I was going to die. It was horrible, I felt like my insides were burning and I was going to pass out. That's just me! I'm also a night owl, so I don't even pretend I'm going to get up and work out in the mornings. I have to work out after work or it just won't happen!

heather said...

energy--yoga head stand! it really works, and i can help you with it...

Lauryn said...

I can definitely see why May would be a crazy month for teachers. I hope you survive the next month and make it to a beach ASAP!

Faiza said...

my energy secret...oatmeal or eggs for breakfast!