Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sometimes, it's more about the chase.

I mean yes, I think Ben F. of Bachelorette fame is a fine specimen of man.  No doubt about that.  But if I'm totally honest, the thrill of hunting him down and finding him is just as exciting as the man himself.  Which is why on Friday, after school, I hightailed it up to Sonoma for a "Bottle Signing" with Ben F. and Mike Benziger (of Benziger family wine fame).

When I walked into Sonoma Market, there they were, behind a table set up with Evolve wine.  Strangely, it didn't seem "weird" at all, and we chit chatted about wine, the Napa growers they use (as Ben told me, they don't have their own winery; they have contracts with various growers around Napa), Chop Bar in Oakland (where I first tasted Evolve wine), and Ben's dying iPhone.  How tempted was I to snatch it and scroll through the contacts for any semblance of Jennifer Love Hewitt???  Pssssh.  Jennifer Love Who?

I snapped this picture:


and here is one of the bottles I purchased from these two fine gents:


Admittedly, leaving Sonoma Market after a mere 15 minutes left me feeling slightly . . . anticlimactic about the whole experience.  But it was fun/tickling meeting Ben, and I left four bottles of wine richer.  One of which I opened an hour later with my friends Matt and Monica, who enjoyed the wine, although perhaps didn't totally understand why I made such intense efforts to get it. ;)

p.s. If you haven't read Cup of Jo's post today, do so here.  Especially if you're a single girl.  I found it . . . timely and resonant.

18 comments:

starnes family said...

Fantastic! So glad you met him.

Allison said...

So fun - he is so freaking hot (though my opinion of him will really drop if the Jennifer Love Hewitt thing is true. She actually wrote "Ben F can except my rose" on Twitter. Not accept, except. Dumb).

Dee Stephens said...

That's awesome!!! How is the wine??

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Wait - what's this about JLH? Do tell!

Aw he's still a cutie and at least you got to meet him. That's a memory you'll have forever! So he doesn't have his own winery? Isn't that false advertisement? Not that it reallly matters to me. I'd still jump on that ;)

undomestic chica said...

You crack me up with your biker/Ben F chasing. Sorry it was so anti-climatic, but you do have a good story. And I ready Jo's post, it completely resonates with me too.

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Oh Claire you crack me up. I, of course, have no idea who these people are. I do know who Jennifer L.H. is though. It's fun that you went through all that trouble, it's the adventures like this that make life so fun. Journey not destination :)

Marz said...

I just love that you hightailed it up to Sonoma just to meet Ben F. :) These are the kind of antics I am capable of doing and it's very hard to find people willing to do them with you! :) I'm glad you got 15 mins of chatting with him and some great wine (and a great story!) out of the chase. And I love that it wasn't weird at all! Gives me hope that famous people I adore are very down to earth in person :)

Holly said...

did you ask him about bently?!!!!!!!!!

HA i kid i kid :) this is very cool! i love learning about wine when i buy it, so if anything, this is that :) good job!

Ashley said...

I like that you are a girl on a mission and that you complete those missions!

Cheers! =)

Faiza said...

you are such a great stalker ;)

heather said...

would love to enjoy some of that vino with you!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

That's awesome that you found him and got to meet him!! Score! Wine!

Megan said...

lol atta girl! Love that you achieved your goal. Just wait he'll be at your door step with a ring.

bananas. said...

OMG claire...you're such a stalker!!! and i STILL don't know who this kid is!

H. Gillham said...

"four wines richer"

Love the turn of phrase...

Micaela said...

ahhhhh what i wouldn't have done to have gone with you! i'm SO glad you went! <3 toootally worth an autographed bottle! OMG!

love love love

Fash Boulevard said...

so awesome. I hear rumors in the hollywood he may just be the new bachelor. we'll see. how's the wine? thanks for another incredible post. Would love if you'd check out my brand new outfit post and newest accessory find. xoxo

www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

Don't forget to follow on twitter for all the latest fashion gossip from an LA stylist.

http://twitter.com/#!/FashBoulevard

Jaime @ La vie...J'aime said...

love him! cute pic...he seems so normal and nice :)