Thursday, September 29, 2011

Happy Things

Sometimes--for instance when you're in the midst of assigning quarter grades, managing a brand new class 7 weeks into the school year, reeling from a recent execution and a possibly dying pet, and your car's in the shop--you need to focus only on beautiful & happy things. :)

Like these shoes I'm crushing on pretty hard:


And the fact that I keep seeing on twitter that it's National Coffee Day (honestly, what better thing to celebrate?).  Even better is that thanks to my new schedule at work, I took the morning to finish grades at home and got to slowly sip my coffee at my dining room table.  Being able to drink my coffee slowly (out of a mug and at my apartment) is one of my favorite luxuries.

Thursday means I get to hang out with these folks tonight:


My friend Matt and I fondly call Deena "pony."  Doesn't she kinda look like one?  Also, Matt does a killer DJ Pauly D impression.  (And can we talk about the fact that Pauly has a DJ PAULY D sign hanging on his twin-sized bedframe?).

Anecdote:  Once, when I was in college & working in the English Department, I walked out of the building to head across the quad to the Architecture School (which had a coffee bar on the first floor).  A man was walking across the quad with a pony on a leash (yes).  I stopped and kinda laughed and said, "Oh my god--you are walking a pony!"  And he said, "Oh, no--it's not a pony.  It's a miniature horse."

Lastly, my roommate Jen and I stayed up late last night drinking wine and laughing hard and talking about the men in our lives.  That, right there, is the stuff of life. ;)

Happy almost-weekend.  Mine's gonna be full of cute babies, cute football players, cute boys, and one extremely cute kitten:

heehee.
  

26 comments:

wishful nals said...

oh my goodness. that kitten!!!!! and i love happy things. :)

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Haha wtf a mini horse?! That is hilarious. I love that we are so much alike that our posts are almost titled the same thing today ♥

And what is with JWOW? She looks off...like she's on crack or something. Right?

Dee Stephens said...

Cute kitty and shoes! Have fun this weekend!

undomestic chica said...

I love that you're spending the night with the Jersey peeps - I will be too :) And yes, I noticed that Pauly has the sign. I think he has a sticker that says it on his laptop too. Sounds like you have a fun weekend planned.

melifaif said...

That is ALOT to deal with....but I am sure those shoes will make it all better! No? I sure do hope so...enjoy your weekend!

drollgirl said...

GET THOSE SHOES!

and i trust your weekend will be FABULOUS! it better be! :)

Lauren said...

Those shoes are incredible! And the cutest kitten!!!

I'm so excited I found your blog, I just moved to Oakland and am excited to read about your adventures in my new city!!! Yay!

Lauren
Sparrow & Urchin

Megan said...

I love that you're an English teacher who likes Jersey Shore like me. People *try* to make me feel like I'm killing brain cells by watching it. I love Deena. She was the best person they could have added to the show.

Meghan said...

Those shoes are beyond! I am also trying to focus on the little things these days as well:)

bananas. said...

deena totally looks like a pony...a dirty bisexual one! BWAHAHAHA!!!

also while i was in vegas, i saw a HUGE billboard with dj pauly d's face on it. it was kinda ridiculous but oh so jersey. had to smile when i saw it.

April said...

Hope you have a good weekend!
I WANT A KITTEN SO BAD.

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

that kitten is PRECIOUS.

but those shoes are precious-er =)

Jax said...

Aww.. love the kitty! And um.. I never even realized it, but YES! She totally looks like a pony! ha! Awesome.

heather said...

hey sweetness, i hope you are feeling better. i guss one good thing is that i'm closer, if you maybe want to meet up on sunday?

Marz said...

It really is all about the simple pleasures in life :) And you totally deserve to get those beautiful shoes!!!

This morning I had enough time before work to make scrambled eggs and some instant oatmeal and enjoyed breakfast while watching the premiere of "Hart of Dixie" that I had recorded earlier this week. I didn't have enough time to finish the whole episode, but so far I am loving it. I never have time to eat breakfast and chill before work, so this was a luxury for sure!

I'm cracking up about the miniature horse!!

I'm not usually a cat person - but OMG!! That kitten is ADORABLE!!!

Have a great weekend Claire! I love you!!! xo

FourJedis said...

The shoes and the kitten are to die for. You should indulge. I'm not sure which one you nicknamed Pony because they all kind of look horse-like.

Your weekend sounds perfect. We are at the soccer field with our kids tomorrow, flu shots, college football, and NFL. Hoping it gets cold out enough to make chili and cook some wings or ribs on the smoker.

nicoleciomek said...

I saw those shoes on Anthropologie's site too and LOVE them. SO cute. As is that cat...adorable! Have a fabulous weekend. Glad to see things are happier in your corner of the world.

Krystal said...

ha! the kitten is the cutest. and i would love to be able to watch jersey shore!

Matthew Snope said...

dirty bisexual pony

The three words that, when put in said sequence, haunt.

sheba said...

oh, how i've missed you! <3 the shoes. js aggravates me to no end, yet i continue to watch it. why???

Micaela said...

those shoes are SO YOU!

miniature horse-- LOL!

YES-- that is the stuff of life. it's what keeps you grounded. content even if things are upside down. how i wish i could have one of those nights with you, kitten included!

this free bird said...

Claire.

CLAIRE!!

Do you personally know that kitten?

Spill it!

xo,
C

Kristin W said...

Ah! That kitten is adorable :) Also, Jersey Shore makes me die laughing all the time. I totally have a crush on Vinny. And LOVE Pauly D's little sign. Oh my...definitely silly things like that brighten up a hard week. Hope this one is better!

Allison said...

I know it's hard to look at the bright side of things when life hands you some serious knocks - it says a lot about you and your character that you can focus on the positive! Those shoes are amazing - and girl, you best believe that I celebrated Coffee Day with two Starbucks trips (instead of my usual one - stimulating the economy, right?). Also - a miniature horse? Really?! That is too funny, and definitely a fun memory to reflect on :)
I don't watch Jersey Shore too often, but when I do, it is definitely funny (and such a shitshow - I can't even handle it). Vinny and Pauly and their bromance is the cutest thing, but honestly Sam and Ron (or Rahnnn) need to go away - the faster the better! :)
Here's to hoping you have an amazing week - you deserve it, girl! xox

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

That kitten is too cute!!!! Love it!

Tales from a Bar Stool said...

Oh hello gorgeous shoes!
~Tales from a Bar Stool