Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Inside this Place, Not of It

Almost a year and a half ago, I wrote about my experience interviewing some incredible women in the South.

It was for the new Voice of Witness book, Inside this Place, Not of It: Narratives from Women's Prisons, that I was lucky enough to work on.  The book tells the stories of women who suffered "egregious human rights violations" while incarcerated, and will leave you overwhelmed with the beauty & resilience of humankind.

In it, you'll read about:
  •      a woman who, 6 months pregnant when sentenced to prison, was shackled to an operating table and forced to have a C-section before she'd shown any signs of labor;
  •      a woman who was misdiagnosed with HIV in prison and given 9+ years of rigorous HIV drugs, only to discover she'd never had it in the first place;
  •      a 22 year old incarcerated woman who was unnecessarily sterilized during a routine cystectomy (and who didn't discover her sterilization until years later)
among many other compelling stories.

This book is a result of almost two years of incredibly hard work (and lots of bravery on behalf of the women telling their stories) . . . and it's finally here!


If you order it now, co-editor Ayelet Waldman will donate $10 (per book ordered!) to Scholarmatch (an organization that connects donors with students to provide funding for college).  And you'll have some amazing reading material, as well as my undying gratitude. :)

We had an incredible reading & book release last week at 826 Valencia, and there will be many more events to come, so keep your ears pricked!

Order the book here.
Check out Voice of Witness here.


If you get ahold of the book, let me know!  I'd love to talk about it.

10 comments:

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Yay so glad to hear about this coming out! You should be proud to be a part of it. I'm off to spread the word :)

Kate Kiefer said...

congratulations! about to order our copy. i love scholarmatch too.

drollgirl said...

omg. i need to quit my belly-aching about my tiny problems! cripes! what these women have gone through!!!!! this sounds like a must-read. i am going to order it.

amykiefer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amykiefer said...

Yay! So proud of you and this book. Ordering now for Christmas. I hope everyone I know likes to read!
I also hope this comment makes it on your blog, b/c I am extremely technically challenged when it comes to commenting on anything other than Facebook.

Meghan said...

Oh my gosh, Claire - my heart just stopped as I read those brief stories. I am SO intrigued and cannot wait to read more. Congrats on this amazing accomplishment!

Meghan said...

I just ordered it! AHHHH!

Megan said...

Oh I hope I can order it from over here! It sounds really good, right up my alley.

J. said...

Ordering mine today!! Love you!

Volume Two said...

This looks amazing miss claire. I am still so in awe of all the work you do, after our chat a while ago after me graduating with my degree. You are one amazing lady.

I dont think they ship to New Zealand :(