Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Meeting the Parents. And Kale Salad.

This weekend, I took a lil drive up this direction:


cause my dad & his colleagues were in town for the annual culinary conference at the Culinary Institute of America in St. Helena.  They had a sweet house right off St. Helena Highway, aka my favorite stretch of the wine country (home of Cakebread, Sequoia Grove, Peju, Coppola, and three of the best restaurants in Napa).  


I was apparently too busy to take many pictures all weekend, but it was fun!  I had Matt, my roommate Jen, and her brother RJ in tow, which meant it was time for Matt to meet the parents.  Well, parent.  All four of us worked on Friday (Jen, RJ, and I in San Francisco, and Matt up in the north country), so we headed up individually after work.  Matt was a very brave soul and, knowing he'd arrive at the Napa house a couple hours before I did, drove straight from work, meaning that he met my dad without me (!!) and cooked with him for a couple hours before I arrived.  Pretty bold, right?  Good thing my dad's just about the least intimidating guy in the world.  When I arrived around 6 pm, Matt and Daddy had a delicious vegetarian pozole waiting for me--who knew Mexican meat soup could be made with veggies only?

On Saturday, Matt, Jen, RJ, and I went to my favorite Napa restaurant, Rutherford Grill, and it was totally worth the hour long wait (as usual):



They all loved it as much as I do (although I'm hesitant to believe that anyone's meal was as good as my house-made veggie burger).  Most importantly, Rutherford Grill offers one of the best dishes I've ever had at any restaurant: kale salad.  It's so good, in fact, that I ordered an extra one to go so I could bring it home to my dad & his colleagues so they could deconstruct/recreate it!


I'll post a recipe after some trial and error, but this is what we've figured out: (raw) kale, cabbage, green onion, mint, parsley, finely chopped jalapeno.  And for the vinaigrette: peanut oil, rice vinegar, sugar, crushed peanuts, black pepper.  I'm gonna do some experimentation and will report back!

Hope everyone's week is off to a good start.  It's cheery round these parts, cause we have Friday off for Veterans' Day!

*Matt blogged about our weekend here.  Check it out, please. :)

25 comments:

Jax said...

We have Friday off, too! :) I took Thursday off on my own as well, sooo tomorrow is my Friday! yeehaw! And love that he met the 'rents!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Yay!!! What a perfect weekend! And that pic of you two - cuter than shit!

I think I started reading your blog last year around this time, when your dad was up for a conference. Right? When you chipped your tooth? Hehe :)

Girlie Blogger said...

Yum! Love kale. It's got such a great texture.

http://www.thegirlieblog.com

Deviled Megs said...

That kale salad looks ah-mazing. Hope you are able to recreate! and wow, Matt is a brave dude -- very impressive meeting your dad without you there!

sheba said...

will you take me here when i come visit? p.s. <3 the pic of you and m. <3

Dee Stephens said...

I LOVE.LOVE the CIA! That's where we went for my 30th birthday lunch.
And, the Rutherford Grille, been going there for years and love it!

undomestic chica said...

Woah! Brave man meeting your dad alone. I would never subject one of my boyfriends to that, if you knew my dad, you'd understand why. I love a good kale salad, so glad you guys hade a good weekend.

melifaif said...

Ahhhh.....let's just call him Super Matt, shall we?!? Very good one dude...very good. That'll be hard to one up, just sayin! Sounds like a fun weekend...and I am SO holding you against your word! I need that recipe.

Matthew Snope said...

Hee hee

http://thedailyhologram.blogspot.com/2011/11/meeting-kale-salad.html

nicoleciomek said...

Sounds like a fab weekend! and that salad looks amazing!

Lindsey said...

That pic with you and your dad is so cute! FRAMER!! Big step meeting the "rent", glad it went so well :)

Christianna said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Your guy is a brave one!

Meghan said...

That first pic of you is so adorable! :) Looks like you had a wonderful time!

drollgirl said...

well i am glad to hear that dad and matt hit it off! YEEE HAW! matt is VERY BRAVE to meet a parent on his own. GULP! that is intimidating!!!

and that salad!??!?! i want it. BADLY!

Meg {henninglove} said...

lovely photos!! what a brave thing for him to do but if he really likes you then he would be willing to do that that says a lot about his character!

April said...

That salad looks amazing. Sounds like a good weekend! :)

bananas. said...

you weren't kidding about that kale salad...IT LOOKS AMAZING!!!!!

ahhh i want kale NOW!!! take me to rutherford grill STAT!!!

i don't know who i'm yelling at but i hope someone is listening!

Micaela said...

that photo is my favorite of you two! when we spoke briefly on the phone and you told me that matt was going to meet your daddy before you even got there-- i couldn't believe it. Bold, indeed. This is serious :) of course after hearing your daddy talk about ig on speaker when we were in town-- your dad truly is the least intimidating person and i just KNEW they would get along :)

mmmmm that salad looks good so yes! please do report back!

off to check out matt's blog post now... I can't believe you haven't sent me his link before! ahhhhhh!!!! i truly can't wait to meet him. love you!

Yara Simón said...

Sounds like a great time.

H. Gillham said...

:)

i love thinking about an old restaurant that I used to haunt -- "Kiefers"??? I think it was called.

FourJedis said...

What a great weekend... love that they had some bonding time before you got there... and enjoyed reading his take on the weekend. How cute.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Glad that the meeting the parents went so well!

Marz said...

OMG I love, love, love that pic of you two!! :) Such a beautiful couple - you guys look so cute together! I just can't get over your boy meeting your dad solo for the very first time! OMG - that's so amazing! So romantic :) So brave!! :)

Faiza said...

that pic of you and matt is too cute!

it is a dream of mine to read at the foot of a sequoia tree...

Staci Cates said...

Did you ever attempt a Rutherford Grill Kale Salad Copy-Cat Recipe??

I had it for the first time this weekend and it was amazing! Trying to recreate it at home...