Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Mua and the Birthday Girl

My dear roommate Jen turned 28 this past week (lucky youngster!), so on Saturday night we hailed a cab and headed to Mua in Oakland to celebrate.  Mua was in full festive Halloween glory!  Sadly, I wasn't.  But it was fun to see everyone else's costumes!

*as I'm still exploring (& trying to understand) Instagram, I'm experimenting by using all different lenses in the pictures below.  Any tips?  I remain opposed to the lenses that just make pictures look blurry.

the birthday girl & me

Jen started out with the goal of dressing up like a "hipster," but her efforts resulted in some sort of hilarious hybrid of various subcultures, haha.  

Skeleto-Michael & RJ (bro of the bday girl)

an uncostumed Matt & Claire

The food was good!  I was torn between the grilled cheese & tomato soup and what I eventually decided on . . . butternut squash "mac & cheese."  No cheese!  Just butternut squash.  And delish!

coulda fooled me . . .

Matt, however, went a different route and ordered the bone marrow:

I'll just focus on the presentation of this dish
& ignore the face that it's bone marrow

I hadn't been to Mua in a couple years, but Saturday night was a reminder to go more often.  It's got such a fun ambience (avant garde art on the walls, hip DJ), really great cocktails (I went with a basil/lemon concoction . . . a few too many times), a loungey area upstairs, and a versatile menu.  

Happy birthday, Jenwoww!

21 comments:

Kate Kiefer said...

yay, you finally got instagram! mmm, butternut squash sauce.

Micaela said...

she's so cute!!! of course i love that she's filipino :)

i'm jealous of your instagram-- i wish they'd make a similar one for the droid :(

mmmmm i wanna eat there! promise to take me next time i'm in town? ;) uncostumed claire & matt are perfect as is.

happy birthday jenwoww!!! i would say i hope it was an amazing one but from the looks and sounds of it, it was just that. xo!

Dee Stephens said...

That mac and cheese looks YUMMY!

Girlie Blogger said...

Such a sweet celebration. Ah! I like her hipster outfit. Does she write in Helvetia too?

Lovely time. Thanks for sharing!

www.geekettegazette.com
www.thegirlieblog.com

erin elder said...

Holy moly... butternut squash mac n cheese????? That sounds to DIE FOR!!!

And I must say miss Claire, that photo of you and Matt is perfection... you are absolutely GORGEOUS!! And your hair looks wonderful!! Makes me miss my long hair :)

Birthday girl is also darling!! Looks like you all had a fabulous time!!

Leesh said...

Happy birthday to your roommate? How awesome is butternut squash mac and cheese. I need to try those since I have a bit of a lactose intolerant problem.

Dancing Branflake said...

Wow! That butternut squash mac and cheese looks amazing!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Fun!! Looks like you had a blast :) Your hair is amazing - you look so pretty! Wish I was there to hang with you. Soon though ♥

missy. said...

so cute! and bone marrow?! ugh i don't know if i could do it!

happy birthday!! xoxo

Krystal said...

haha, dressing like a hipster, that is an awesome idea!! happy bday to her :)

drollgirl said...

lol! love the pics! and your hair! the curls are so cute!

AND SO IS YOUR MAN! :)

Erin {pughs' news} said...

Mmmmm... butternut squash! I love it. We had some for dinner tonight. Baked and mashed, with a bit of salt and pepper. So good! Next up I'm making a butternut squash soup. It's my new favourite vegetable.

Phoenix Peacock said...

That butternut squash "pasta" looks DIVINE.

H. Gillham said...

28?

Man, that was a long time ago.

You look radiant, btw.

J. said...

Looks like it was a good time. . . but I can't get past the 'bone marrow' information. The thought of EATING bone marrow = vomit. YUCK!

bananas. said...

I LOVE MUA!!!!!!! been there a couple times for drinks...never food. think i need to change that.

oh hey btw have you been to a cote? i have dinner reservations there tomorrow and i'm looking forward to it. top 100 in the bay...it has to be good, right?

Erika said...

Ah, what a phenom way to spend one's birthday!

You are all so adorable; and the food looks DELICIOUS!

Happy, Happy Belated Birthday to Jen! :)

Annie Cristina said...

Happy Birthday to Jen! Great pictures, Claire. :-)

passport in my pocket said...

eeep, bone marrow! I would've picked the mac & cheese too. Anything butternut squash works for me. Glad you had a fun time celebrating with your friend :)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

That butternut mac looks amazing!

Matthew Snope said...

So funny you are all of 30, Claire, and call Jen young ;)

I don't why all these people be hatin' on my bone marrow. If you examine the human story record (physical anthropology), you'll find it's highly likely humanity didn't become an endangered species early in our tenure because we figured out how to get marrow out of bones. I have a BBC video about this, have to find it.
I was paying homage to our deep ancestry eatin' said marrow. Next up I'm gonna have the blood sausage & beans. Didn't RJ have sheep cheeks?

And the proper name of Jen's costume is "Filipina Urkel" or "Pinay Urkel". :)