Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Gimme Your Food Ideas!

You might recall that I am spending January 2012 cheeselessly.  (Haha, "cheeselessly").  When I mentioned it on my blog, I immediately got the following text from my good friend Shelly:


I giggled when I got her message, but there is a great truth in her words; at this point, I'd venture to say that a life without cheese would be a miserable one!  It's so good and a pretty essential food for this vegetarian.  However, I think lessening my dependence on cheese is ultimately a good thing, and this cheeseless January is showing me that I can actually enjoy (some) foods without cheese.  GASP.

(This is not to say that I won't go running back in February . . . just hopefully with more restraint and some new ideas).

I made this veggie soup the other day that turned out SO GOOD.  I sauteed diced peppers, half an onion, and garlic in the bottom of my stock pot, and then just added pretty much all the veggies, etc. I had on hand (carrots, baby yukon potatoes, kale, cabbage*, canned tomatoes, garbanzo beans, fresh corn).  I used a couple cubes of Knorr veggie bouillon, water, dried oregano & basil, chili flakes, a smidge of chili powder, and Tony Chacere's (which I put in everything I cook).  Thanks to a suggestion from one of my besties, Lesley, I added a can of pumpkin, which thickened the soup into a stew . . . it was amazing!

*the cabbage was my favorite part

My carnivorous boyfriend and roommate loved it too.  The kale is tough enough to not get slimy in soup, and it was just spicy enough.  Make this!  You won't regret it. :)

This morning, my sweet friend Amy sent me a link to this Oh She Glows recipe:


I'm definitely gonna try it--Amy made it and said it was delish.

So here's where I ask for all your vegan (or mostly vegan) ideas!  Although, I can use a chicken substitute in pretty much anything, so if you have ideas that contain chicken, send em my way.  Just no cheese, please.

If you have a Pinterest recipe board, let me know!  Or if you post food pics on Instagram, let me know that!  I need all the healthy culinary inspiration I can get.

P.S. Check out this giveaway at Little Girl in the Big World.  $25 to Erin Condren . . . cause I need me a planner!

15 comments:

melifaif said...

Um, I love this veggie stew idea. I don't eat NEARLY enough...and this is calling my name! Seriously. Did I tell you about my Kale dream???? lol....oh my word. I am crazy, nuts, insane, I tell you....sorry about the lack of cheese. No ideas, suggestions or other. I am kinda - totally - with Shelly on this one. Good luck kiddo.

erin elder said...

I know you asked about the tacos/tortillas i posted about on instagram... but I think I will post a photo/video tutorial on how to make the tortillas. It's really easy, but the process is a little hard to explain via a comment... i will email you when the post is up! :)

also, if you have a costco nearby... they have a jalapeño greek yogurt dip from there, add some diced cucumber to it and plop that deliciousness onto any taco. it's heavenly.

now i'm hungry. hahaha

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

That soup/stew look good! I can never give up cheese. My dad calls me a rat because I eat so much of it lol!

I weighed myself for the first time in a long time and I am so ashamed. I weigh more than ever. It's BAD!!! I have a free iPhone app called Lose It that tracks calories so I am starting with that. It's better than nothing I guess.

I didn't know you ate chicken! Is that new?

Dee Stephens said...

My niece is a vegan and I'll ask her. Can you have soy cheese? Also.. I put Tonys on everything too.
Find me on Instagram and I'll follow back.
DeNanner

lesley graham said...

her planners are so cute! love. that soup sounds amazing. yum. never homemaker, oh she glows, my new roots, and green kitchen stories are my favorite vegetarian blogs, full of non-dairy recipes.

inHERshoes said...

i would have texted you the same thing! i can't give up cheese! it makes everything better! :)

Marz said...

Bahaha Shelly's text cracks me up!!!! :) You know the other day I was having a bean burrito for lunch and they forgot to put cheese in it and I didn't even realize it until after I had maybe two bites left. And I was pretty amazed that I could eat the burrito sans cheese and not even miss it you know? But that was totally by mistake. Had I not put cheese on it on purpose I'm sure I would have missed it lol So I am SO proud of you!!! :) You're doing so good!!!

That soup looks delicious!!! I've been wanting to make it ever since you wrote me about it to help me with my own New Years resolutions. I need to pick up some of Tony Chacere's seasoning!

When you post pictures of your cooking it makes me excited to learn! :) xo

missy. said...

try foodgawker.com there is where i find a lot of my recipes. super easy and delicious!

can't believe you are going the whole month without cheese. i mean it may not be that difficult for some but i mean a cheeseburger just isn't the same without the cheese! just say'n. good luck love.

xoxo

Ana Magdalena said...

I love cheese, tried to go without it, failed.

Good luck :)
Let me know how it goes, we want to hear all about it.


www.therecordologist.blogspot.com

Gia said...

I'm a vegetarian who LOVES cheese as well. And I actually think this is a really really good idea. I probably don't have the willpower to do it myself, though..

Gracie said...

That veggie soup looks delicious and it sounds like it would be hearty enough for me (since I'm not a vegetarian). I really need to make more well balanced meals.

melifaif said...

Okay. So I made this last night!!! Winner winner, non chicken dinner. Thanks...all the ladies in the office want the "recipe" now....um....copy. paste. :) I did give you credit though!

drollgirl said...

this soup looks mighty tasty! although i would omit the beans. i just hate beans!

and that risotto looks awesome too.

i have a new recipe for quinoa patties that looks deeeelish. if it is i will forward it on to you!

nicoleciomek said...

Since it is winter time, I thought I'd send you a few soup recipes - all ones that i've tried and loved:

This is amazing, if you love mushrooms: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/mixed-mushroom-soup-recipe.html

This has eggs whites & suggests Parmesan to finish, but I have eaten it without he cheese, and it is just as good (although the eggs are essential - don't know if you are avoiding those). The spicy tomato aspect of this is SO good.
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/orzo-soup-recipe.html

If I think of any others, i'll let you know!

Kristin W said...

While going cheese-less scares the hell out of me, I just started vegetarianism. My problem is that most foods/dishes seem like one-pot wonders. Soups, for instance. D isn't the biggest fan of casseroles and one-pot meals. But I'm following you on Pinterest now, so hope to get inspiration there!

Sorry I don't have any vegan advice for you!