Friday, January 27, 2012

Happy Weekend!

This Friday's a little bittersweet for me, cause the past two Fridays have marked the beginning of a glorious three-day weekend . . . so this weekend already feels short.  But I should stop whining, because the weather's already pretty again, and on Wednesday I get to have cheese again!

Today I have some tips for you:

1. I have a new favorite breakfast: a toasted wheat sandwich thin, sliced avocado, and Papalote salsa.  The problem is, it has to be Papalote salsa.  Here is what it looks like:


I can't really explain it except to tell you that it blows any other salsa I have ever had out of the water.  It's legendary around San Francisco, and frankly, it should be legendary all over the country.  The good news is that you can order it here.  I know it seems ridiculous to order salsa from another state (if you're in another state), but I promise you that it will be worth it.  It will arrive at your door, you will taste it, and you will immediately email me and tell me how very right I was.  

2. Lesley is my oldest friend in the world.  Her mama and my mama are BFFs, and Lesley is 6 months older than me.  She was waiting for me at the hospital when I was being born!  So literally, we go back forever.   Ha.  In any case, she has recently quit her job to do two things: 1) stay home with her adorable & hilarious daughter Matilda, and 2) pursue her dream of creating and selling amazing wares.  In the past, she's been very successful selling one-of-a-kind little girls' dresses, but recently she's started making these carryalls that have me swooning.  This is the one I'm in love with:


I tell you, I'm snatching that one up as soon as I can afford it!  Check out her blog and her shop for other patterns/designs.  I'm both in awe of her and jealous that she can make such beautiful things.  What a talent!

3. And lastly, I recommend for you an article on Obama by Andrew Sullivan (the recommendation comes courtesy of my sister, Kate).  It's a longish article about Obama's "long game," and it really puts into perspective that which he has done over the past four years, and that which he is putting into place for the next four.  It encourages us to consider the context--the economic and political ambience into which Obama (and Bush before him) entered, which I think is crucial when considering a president's successes and failures.  Whatever your political stance, I think this article will be informative.

. . . And after last night's GOP debate, I'm fantasizing about Newt and Mitt in a boxing ring (Mitt would bust him in the jowls and it would be over before it started).  

Happy Friday!

19 comments:

erin elder said...

Ok that last part had me rolling on the floor laughing!! And i totally agree with you too! :)

I MUST try this salsa!! I'm sure my honey would LOVE it since he's such a salsa fan already. Hmmmmm

Going to read that article now. You've convinced me! Haha...

Hope you have a GREAT weekend, even if it is only two days. {I'm right there with ya sister. I have every other Friday off, so the two-day weekends always make me feel cheated somehow. *spoiled!}
HAPPY WEEKEND

Lesley said...

it makes me so happy that you like it. love you friend and i want that salsa. NOW. thanks again for the amazing shout-out!!

Brianna said...

HAHA I would love those two in a boxing ring. Mitt would totally win fo sho!

passport in my pocket said...

loving Lesley's carryall's (and new life chapter...) as well!! :) happy weekend xo

Dee Stephens said...

YAY for cheese!

blueeyedfreckle said...

can't wait to read that obama article. I still like him, even if it doesn't seem to be popular! And I want that salsa NOW. I wish I could taste the screen....

drollgirl said...

i will order that salsa. I AM CRAZY FOR SALSA. i have tried them all. some are so great, and some are just so AWFUL. I CANNOT WAIT TO TRY THIS ONE!

i cannot even believe mitt and newt are the best the republicans have to offer. idiots , elitists, pricks and assholes. that is what they have put forth. that is probably the case every election. LOL. YES, I AM A DEMOCRAT. and, yes, i know there are a lot of douchelord democrats out there, but i'd take them over almost all republicans now and forever. lol

Gracie said...

Your new favourite breakfast sounds amazing! I doubt I can find that salsa here but it looks delicious!

The carryall you showed is pretty. I will have to check out her site.

Ashley said...

LOVE that carryall!! I'm in love with it too. Have a happy weekend!

Meghan said...

I am adoring that carryall! So cute!

Thanks for posting the article, too! Can't wait to read it - and I couldn't agree with your comments more!

Megan said...

Last week was a short week for us because of Australia day so I totally feel your pain! I love your friends bags, some people are so talented!

Faiza said...

will definitely check out lesley's shop. happy weekend friend!

bananas. said...

why have i never had papalote salsa?! WTF is wrong with me...bad san franciscan, BAD! i must try asap!!!

Happiness Is... said...

So what does this salsa taste like? Like is it really good regular salsa or does it have a certain flavor (like pineapple for example)? Smoky? Sweet? Spicy? I kind of want to try it!

elizalouise.bell said...

Hi! I am new to your blog and omg, I am so jealous that you live in SF! I used to live there in 08....downtown in the tendernob area! It is by far the best city in the world and I miss it every day of my life!

xx

Marshall said...

what i wouldnt give for that salsa right now... looks soo yummy.

just found your blog! (:

Cat said...

Your new fav breakfast sounds delish (love avocados ... I am totally addicted!).

Yeah for friends, esp. ones with such amazing creative talent. That bag is on my wish list now too :)

xxCat

Micaela said...

That's the AMAZING salsa we had right?! OMG sooooo GOOD. i seriously dream of all the good eats we had when we were on our girl's trip. I can't wait to indulge again this summer! :)

i love how way back you and lesley go (and your mamas!). She has incredible talent! what gorgeous items. <3 that bag is amazing!

xoxo

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Did you hear about Roseanna Barr wanting to run??! Yeah I was like what?