Monday, February 27, 2012

Weekend Review + Recipe

Hope you all had a great weekend!  Mine was rather domestic and didn't involve a lot of excitement, per se, but it sure was relaxing.  I had a rare day to myself on Saturday, so I cranked up the country tunes and spent a few hours scouring my kitchen.  By the time I was done, I wanted to spend the entire evening admiring the sparkling white counters and floors.  Alas, duty called and I had to head over to the Freitags to babysit my favorite little guys.  But my whirlwind of productivity continued, and after I got home from babysitting, I stayed up till 2:30 am sending poems to various literary journals and presses.  Watch your back, February goals, I'm coming for you!

Matt and I both had a free (and kidless) Sunday, so we woke up at a decent hour and walked to our neighborhood farmers' market.  We bought all kinds of brightly colored veggies, and then stopped at the Wine Mine (our local wine shop, just a couple blocks from the apartment) on the way home.  Local folks: the Wine Mine has an incredible tasting deal on Saturdays from 2-5--just $1 for 5 tastings!  Crazy, right?

Later that afternoon I went for a run, ran some errands, and then made the most delicious dinner.  I'd seen this on Pinterest:




and I made a variation of it that ended up being one of the yummiest things I've eaten in a very long time.  Goodness gracious.  Here's how my version turned out:


And here's what I did:

Roasted Veggie Enchilada Pie a la Claire
dice one large onion and two red peppers into matchsticks
slice 1-2 potatoes suuuuuper thin
put onions, peppers, potatoes, & some garlic cloves into a baking dish w/olive oil and S&P
roast for 40 minutes at 400 degrees

meanwhile, place 6 corn tortillas at the bottom of another baking dish (to cover bottom)
when veggies are done roasting, transfer half to the other dish on top of tortillas
add a layer of fresh baby spinach
add a layer of sharp cheddar cheese
pour 1/2 a large can of red enchilada sauce on top
add another layer of 6 tortillas on top of veggies, spinach, & cheese
add the second 1/2 of roasted veggies
add another layer of baby spinach
pour the remaining enchilada sauce on top of spinach
. . . and then a second layer of cheese
top with fresh cilantro

after your casserole dish has been thus assembled, bake again at 400 for 20 minutes

Et voila, one of the best things you've ever tasted.  And easy.  Next time I'm gonna add black beans and corn.  You could really put anything in there, but let me just advise you that the super thinly sliced potatoes made it dream-worthy.

Happy Monday!

19 comments:

Ashley said...

holy hell. i'm going to make this tonight!! yum!! I think i will add black beans and corn as well..sounds like a yummy addition! =)

erin elder said...

I am literally salivating after reading that recipe!! Lucky for me its a cold rainy day down here in SoCal, so this recipe will be perfect for the weather!!

Your weekend sounds lovely... even the kitchen cleaning part. I am very "Monica" from Friends... I clean to clear my head. Hahaha.

Happy Monday Claire!! :)

Dee Stephens said...

I saw this on instagram. I need to try it!
Check out my post on my friend's bday party in SF!

bananas. said...

you two sound like an old married couple...one that's cute and adorable and cooks fabulous meals together and then is willing to share meals with other random bloggers like myself! yea!!!

Gabby said...

I haven't eaten lunch yet and my stomach is literally growling now. I am so making that!

Your weekend sounded lovely!

Lesley said...

um yum! that sounds delish. i'm so proud of all of your goal setting and so happy that you are submitting! hooray. can't wait to see what comes of that...

also so impressed that you're running. it's a challenging area for me but i always feel so good afterwards!

love you!

Meghan said...

You had such an incredible weekend! A stroll through a farmer's market and wine tasting sound heavenly! And sending poetry to magazines? Girl, that's amazing! Can't wait to hear more about it!

Girlie Blogger said...

So jealous. We need a kidless Sunday.

heather said...

yum!!! i was lamenting not having a kidless anything this weekend. :-/

looks yummy!! really hoping to see you soon!

Emily said...

Yum! Totally following you on Pinterest now :)

Gracie said...

This sounds amazing!! I will have to try it sometime because it looks like it would be good for lunch leftovers too :)

Sounds like you had a good weekend though. Relaxed yet still productive.

Megan said...

I saw that photo of your dinner on instagram and my mouth watered, yummy! I love getting the house to myself it happens so rarely but I have always been pretty happy with my own company haha.

drollgirl said...

well that sounds like a nice weekend!

and this recipe?!?!? looks/sounds heavenly! i am printing it! i am going to make it!!!!

Micaela said...

my mouth watered when you sent the photo! and an easy vegetarian recipe? the kind i like!

mmmm delicious!

thank you for sharing :) i love you xo

Dancing Branflake said...

Great recipe! Wow oh wow! I want some right now. You don't even know- I'm sick and I'm craving something healthy but comforting and this would be perfect.

Katariina said...

Wow, that sounds like a great recipe, and it looks delicious! I have to try that soon! :)

Kristen said...

You are cordially invited to send any leftovers you have to Wisconsin :) Yum!!!!

Ocean Dreams said...

I love that you had a domestic weekend and that food looks delish! Good job with running too! :)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Yummy! It looks and sounds like it turned out great and tasted great too!