Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Easter Weekend Getaway

This past weekend, Matt and I took a last minute getaway up to the Mendocino coast, and it was mighty blissful.  We packed up early Saturday morning and headed north toward the Greenwood Pier Inn on the coast in Elk, California:


After checking in to our adorable little room, appropriately dubbed "La Petite" (but with a spectacular ocean view!), we headed to a nearby pub for lunch.  Everything's so sleepy up there!  All the restaurants close at 8:30, and there's no real "night life" to speak of.  Which was just fine with us, given that this was the view from the back porch of our inn:


Well, actually, this was our immediate view:


I mean first things first, right?  We got that bottle at one of the two incredibly charming wineries we stopped at on the drive up.  Would you believe that in Mendocino, they don't seem to charge you for tastings?  And the bottles were so much more reasonably priced than those at many of the Napa/Sonoma wineries.  I'm smitten.  Also, look at the view from one of the wineries (Yorkville Cellars):


(taken with my iphone, baby)

I love this view :)

Next time, I don't even want to leave the inn.  Unfortunately, I was banned from the hot tub (by the podiatrist) thanks to the obnoxious cast on my leg, but I was plenty happy with sitting on the expansive porch watching the waves crash, and/or wandering inside to the leather couches in front of the fireplace.  Plus, it was nice to just be with my man.  We're rarely alone, it seems!


I am already thinking about our next trip.  Maybe next time we can swing two nights.  Little trips into the country (especially the wine country, haha) are so good for the soul.

18 comments:

Dee Stephens said...

WOW!! This looks right up my alley! I have to go and lookup that Inn now!
Heavenly indeed!!!

Lindsey said...

Um the pictures are amazing and I'm totally green with envy. Seriously looks like a perfect getaway!!! Ugh I want to live in Cali!!!!!!!

undomestic chica said...

So jealous. I've been trying to convince B we need t take a trip to Hawaii - he's not buying it. I'm glad you were still able to enjoy your trip without the hot tub.

Kristin W said...

What a wonderful, relaxing weekend! I'm so jealous of those views!

Meghan said...

Ok, this looks AMAZING! So glad you had an amazing weekend, lady!

bananas. said...

what a quaint little getaway! never even heard of elk but any place with free wine tastings and a pub is good to me.

looks like you love birds had a sweet time. happy belated easter!

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

i hope that "view" picture is your screensaver or something...GORGEOUS!!!

AmericanBridget (Jones) said...

I wish we had somewhere similar to travel to for a weekend jaunt here in Texas. What a wonderful way to unwind and relax!

Marz said...

I have always wanted to get away with my man and stay in a cute little bread & breakfast or cozy cabin. Blissful is right! I'm SO jealous of that view. I miss being near the coast and can't wait to be near it when I visit you :) CUTEST pic ever of you and Matt. I can't wait to meet him! Glad you love birds had such a romantic and relaxing Easter weekend xo

Micaela said...

Claire, that looks like HEAVEN!!!! all of it. I want to go on a weekend with you there. LOL and the photo of you two is officially my new favorite-- how i love a man in glasses ;)

love you!

nicoleciomek said...

This looks so beautiful!!! Love all the pictures and that view is incredible. I love that part of the California coast dearly.

And you two are so cute together.

Jo said...

that looks and sounds amazing! my boyfriend and i were thinking of taking a drive up the ca coast this summer... we'll definitely work mendocino into the plan!!

drollgirl said...

omg! what a SUPER getaway! THESE types of trips are good for the mind, body and soul. well, i mean it is fun to get away and see new things and have sex in new places. LOL!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

That looks amazing and wonderful! Glad you and Matt had a great time!!!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

How incredibly beautiful! That looks like the most amazing location! Glad you two enjoyed your getaway :)

melifaif said...

Oh man!!!! That view just did wonders for MY soul, so I cannot imagine actually experiencing it!!!! Looks great....

Holly said...

my goodness you are too cute

Kristen said...

So I have a million comments... but mostly this. Hooray for your man. Hooray for you being so darn happy. Hooray for love. Isn't it grand? :)