Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I Got 99 Problems

Matt calls me Claire "Lightning Bolt" Kiefer cause I move so fast.  I have a hard time sitting still, can't stand being idle, and am prone to run to the kitchen even when I just want to get a cup of water.  Matt is constantly trying to get me to sloooooow doooooown.  And on Wednesday night, his wish came true:

my fractured cuboid bone

We walked up to the center of our neighborhood on Wednesday night for dinner and drinks, and afterwards, trotting across the street in my platform heels, I went SPLAT and broke my foot.  Only, even that didn't slow me down.  I still walked the 1/2 mile home, thinking it was just bruised . . . but then woke up to agonizing pain and swelling at 4 am . . . when I knew a doctor's visit was in order:

before ice/after ice

After being shuffled around (in a wheelchair!) from my general practitioner to radiology to podiatry back to radiology, I ended up with a bulky-ass CAST on my leg and a pair of crutches that I've grown to despise:

cast guy: "What color cast do you want??"
me: "BLACK.  Like my mood."

Initially, I was upset about not being able to exercise and do fun stuff for the next 6 weeks, but now I don't even care about all that--I just want to be able to walk, for heavens' sake.  It's super hard getting around on these crutches, and for the first time, I'm realizing how omnipresent stairs are.  Thankfully, it was my left foot, so I can still drive.  And thankfully, Matt has been a complete saint.  He's basically done everything for me and not even batted an eye.  I'm so grateful for him.

UGH

My biggest problem is that I can't carry anything.  For instance, it is 11:45 am and I have yet to have a cup of coffee, because even if I can hobble into the coffee shop, I can't carry the damn cup from the counter to my car, thanks to the crutches.  Any advice?  I'm hoping it gets easier/slightly more natural, but my goodness, it's hard feeling completely dependent on other people. :(

Send me some healing vibes if you have em!

16 comments:

Joelle :: Something Charming said...

Oh no! This is definitely no good :( But at least your toenails are pretty?

I hope you recover quickly my dear!

xoxo,
Joelle

Dee Stephens said...

That sucks! Don't they have those rubber things that go on the bottom of casts where you can still walk?

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Poor thing! I've broken everything lol...OK not really, but I've had casts and my arms and legs and legs are def crappier :( You pretty much have to have people help you.

Ouchie! That looks so painful. I hope it doesn't still hurt. You're a baddass for being able to walk on it. When I broke my fibla my dad was like "walk it off". I didn't have the balls that you have haha. I just laid there!

heather said...

aww that is so sad about the coffee! i think you are going to have to get a mug with a good lid. and have a backpack for everything. make sure you bring lots of water with you in your backpack. like if you have a big water bottle (nalgene what have you) in your backpack it will help the mug stay standing up. you can also pad the rest of the area with a scarf or something, to help the coffee mug stay upright. OR you could just get something with a screw top (like a nalgene bottle) and ask them to put your coffee in there. it'll still stay warm for a while, though not as much as if in a good coffee mug, assuming you have one of those. laptop backpacks are great for this, because the compartments are generally a bit tighter. do you have anything like this? if not let me know, i'll bring over my old yahoo bag for you to borrow on thursday.

heather said...

hang in there with your beautiful toes! :)

and if possible, look at this as a gift from the universe for the opportunity to slow down.

meanwhile, i really hope you're not in pain!

erin elder said...

Oh no!!!!! That's such a bummer dear! I can't imagine what it must feel like to be unwillingly put on "pause" so-to-speak. AND you live upstairs? so sorry to hear this news...

I once dated someone who broke all three meditarcels (spelling?) in his foot. Something large fell on his foot and he was on crutches for MONTHS... and I wish from that experience I could give you some coffee-transport advice (other than a tumbler and a backpack).... but that's all i got.

crutches are the WORST.

I'm so so so glad Matty is there for you and taking good care of you. I hope you heal quickly and are back on your feet in no-time!

Miss Caitlin S. said...

Ugh, so sorry Claire!

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

oh my goodness, NO GOOD lady!! hope your foot heals super fast...and perhaps you can find some joy in whacking others with your crutches and/or cast. can you get a temporary handicapped parking tag? that would be pretty sweet.

Kara said...

Ack, Claire!! I saw these photos on Facebook and my jaw literally dropped - that lump and that bruise are wicked!!

Here's hoping to a quick recovery and an excuse to make others do shit for you.

Megan said...

Oh Claire I cannot imagine how annoying this must be for you! Cant believe you made it the extra half a mile, tough chicka!!
Lots of get well vibes going your way!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Oh no!!! I saw the photo on instagram and now I know the story. I'm sorry to hear that you'll be in the cast for 6 weeks.

Shoshanah said...

How awful for you. I'm sure it must be such a pain trying to get around anyways. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Ocean Dreams said...

So sorry again girl - hope the time flies by for you soon!

drollgirl said...

this sucks SO HARD! blargh!!! it is so frustrating! we take things like BEING ABLE TO WALK UNAIDED and CARRY COFFEE for granted!

years ago i broke my wrist. i couldn't even zip my own pants at first. showering was a nightmare. so depressing! but it gets easier! and it gets a whole lot better when the damn cast is removed! but wait until you see how scaly and creepy the skin becomes under the cast -- it is REPTILIAN! gross.

H. Gillham said...

Sorry to hear this --- as you well know, it's such an inconvenience.

Hugs.

melifaif said...

Ugh, your foot looks too eerily similar to mine when my ankle was broken!!! Crutches are freaking hard. Like, whoa!!!! I had no idea!?! I feel for you so much lil honey. I thought I had it bad with the foot cast...ha! That I could take off. Permanent casts are terr.i.ble...thinking of you...hoping to a speedy six weeks. Bless your heart.