Friday, April 20, 2012

Some News

So, I got a new job!

I've been teaching social justice to students with incarcerated family members at Balboa High School for the past six years.  I really have loved it--it's been invigorating, purposeful, inspiring, and has taught me so much.  But, I've been doing it for six years.  And people like me get restless.  

When Voice of Witness contacted me about a new position in their Education department, it seemed like serendipity.  (You may remember that I worked on their latest book about women who suffered abuses while incarcerated?)

(this book)

Voice of Witness is a nonprofit book series that uses oral history to depict human rights crises through the people who've suffered them.  The people I'm working with are amazing--almost as amazing as Voice of Witness itself. :)  My new job, basically, is to work with the Education Director on creating new curriculum around the books that come out, supporting teachers around using our books & curriculum in their classrooms, and teaching folks the importance of/how to do oral history.  I am so excited!  Check out all the books here.  

Change is a little scary.  It's emotional leaving a beloved job, even if it's the right time.  And right now, I'm in the thick of end-of-the-year madness at school, learning the ropes at Voice of Witness (I started part-time last week), babysitting 1-2 evenings a week, and teaching at the prison on Monday nights.  All on a broken foot!  Suffice to say, I'm busier than ever.

But I'm also really grateful for this new opportunity.  Sometimes the universe gives you what you need at just the right time.

On another note, I'm obsessed with these shoes, but can't justify buying them since I can't wear anything remotely close to this until the godforsaken boot comes off:


Happy Friday!


28 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh my gosh, congratulations Claire!!! I'm so happy for you and proud of you. Change is definitely scary, but the future is wide open. Take hold of it!

xoxo

Ashley said...

Oh, and those shoes are incredible. I think you should buy them as a reward for your new job. ;)

undomestic chica said...

That's so exciting! Congrats, I know you'll be amazing at your new job.

Emily said...

Congratulations! That sounds like an amazing opportunity, even if it will be bittersweet to leave your old position behind.

Lacey in the City said...

Congrats on your new job!! Your work sounds so intriguing and rewarding!

Kate Kiefer said...

excited about your new job!

also, those shoes are another broken foot waiting to happen.

Ashley said...

Congrats on the new job!! You're too cool for school anyway! ;)

Those shoes are super cute!!

nicoleciomek said...

Very exciting! Congrats on the job. I hope you really enjoy it and that all goes well with it. I am sure it will be hard to leave your current job, change is always good :)

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!! Just think about a year ago, how you were worrying about your job, now you have this amazing opportunity! I really believe that good things (eventually) happen to good people. You are so deserving of this job!

You're going to be amazing in this new role.

H. Gillham said...

Wow.

Congratulations.

You're so talented; I'm proud of you.

Down and Out Chic said...

huge congrats, i'm so excited for you! this job sounds right up your ally, like it's going to be a great fit. yay!

Holly said...

congrats! what an amazing job. i hope the transition goes smooth for you. and holy cow i want those wedges, too.

Holly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin W said...

Awesome Claire!! Congrats! This sounds like such an awesome job :)

Oh and these shoes...die!

Natalie Leung said...

wow what an incredible opportunity. hope it works out so well <3

natalie
http://lucyandtherunaways.blogspot.com

sheba said...

wow, we have a lot to catch up on! congratulations, ck! sooooo excited for you! this job seems perfect! xo

Mrs. Monologues said...

Congrats on the new job! It sounds like an amazing opportunity! Can't wait to read more about your adventure.

Meghan said...

WAIT! Is this your new full-time job? Oh my gosh! You are amazing! Congrats, Claire! What an amazing opportunity!

Kristen said...

Soooooooooooooooo excited for you!!! This opportunity sounds AMAZING!!! Congrats!! Woo hoo!! Just so thrilled for you :)

Erin {pughs' news} said...

That's such great news, Claire! It sounds so perfect for you.

Faiza said...

sounds like this job was made just for you! you are going to rock it! and those shoes need you. THEY need you! go for it!

bananas. said...

sounds like a PERFECT job for you! so so happy! congrats claire!!!

Jenn said...

Claire, congratulations!! This job was made just for you! You are and always have been so inspiring.
xo,
Jenn

Leesh said...

Congrats on the new job!

Dee Stephens said...

Congrats! you'll love it!

Dee Stephens said...

Congrats! you'll love it!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Congrats!! That sounds like an amazing position!

melifaif said...

So very happy for you, Claire!!! You deserve it. And I, too, have been eyeing those wedges. WE BOTH DESERVE THOSE!!! lol.