Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Girls' Trip 2012 in Pictures

It's Tuesday morning and I'm still reeling from another incredible girls' trip.  This time, Micaela, Marianne, Faiza, & our friend Ezgi flew out from their various locales and came to San Francisco, where our adventure started.  We had a couple days here before heading down (road-trip style!) to Anaheim, home of Marianne's new obsession: The Anaheim Angels (aka one of their pitchers, C.J. Wilson).

Marianne arrived with GIRLS' TRIP 2012 necklaces for all of us, which you can (sorta) see us boasting in this picture, taken at Target for last-minute supplies on our way down south:


As you can guess, a van full of five girls meant hours of talking about friendship, relationships, sex, and hot celebs.  Also: racism, misogyny, religious discrimination, and international political unrest (hey, we're complex creatures).  As we rolled into Orange County just in time for a late dinner, I thought: Carrie's boyfriend's restaurant!  I gave Carrie a ring and voila, she met us at The Corner in Huntington Beach, which we agreed in unanimity was THE BEST MEAL we had the entire trip.

Carrie: even more adorable & hilarious (and tiny) in person!

Unfortunately we were too famished to take pictures of the food before we scarfed it down, but let me just say that it was delectable.  I had mashed potato tacos (you heard that right) that were somehow even more delicious than their description, and a roasted beet (& burrata & arugula) salad that I'm desperate to recreate.  Also: vodka lemonade cocktails with mint leaves.  Carrie and Chris were so wonderful that I can't wait to go back (and spend more time with Carrie).  Like all my parentheticals in this blog post?  (Ha!).

A quick sleep in our hotel, and then Saturday morning we were off to San Diego to have a Cinco de Mayo Mexican lunch on the beach with my dear friend Elena from grad school.  She recommended a spot in Del Mar that was perfect for margaritas and festive Mexican food.  The food was great, but best of all was the company: it was so neat for me to witness the merging of worlds as my Girls' Trip 2012 girls met Elena!  After lunch, we hung out on the beach for a while before grabbing a coffee & trekking back up to Anaheim to prepare for the main event: the Angels vs. Blue Jays game.

Elena & me on the beach!

sweet twinkies on the beach

Marianne was chomping at the bit to get to Angels Stadium, so we headed over there an hour early to try to find her main man, C.J. Wilson, warming up.  My friend Dave & the twinkies' cousin Moses met us at the stadium, so we had quite a group to cheer on C.J. (minus Faiza, from Toronto, who was rooting for her Blue Jays!).  

a healthy dose of internal rivalry

the view from our seats

Much to Faiza's dismay & Marianne's delight, the Angels proceeded to kick some Blue Jay ass, and Marianne and her homemade poster ended up on the JumboTron!  It was certainly the highlight of the evening, and so sweet to see Marianne floating around on cloud 9.  Almost as giddy as she was Sunday morning when she woke to a tweet from C.J.!  (To be clear, C.J. Wilson, a two-time World Series pitcher and first class hottie, has tweeted at Marianne now 6 times).

see Marianne on the JumboTron in the bottom left?  

"you're tigers, you're tigers"

I was lucky enough to meet up with Amy (she's been one of my best friends since middle school), Dave, and their adorable 2-year-old, Sammy, for brunch before we headed back up north.  Again, it was so cool to have friends from different eras of life around a table together.  

Baby Boy Lazzaroni #2 arriving this fall

We got back up to the Bay Area in no time, and I was sad to see all the girls off on Monday morning.  It was especially hard going back to work after such an incredible time with such good friends.  Hard to believe that next time I see Micaela, she'll have a little baby girl!  I'm so lucky we've been able to do this two years in a row (but we missed you, Jessie!), and I can't wait to see what we plan for next year.  It's time to start brainstorming!

See pictures from our Girls' Trip 2011 here.

22 comments:

KatiePerk said...

Awesome trip! Jealous you got to eat at The Corner!

this free bird said...

Okay Claire I'm putting a post together right now with our pictures and GIRL I JUST SAW THIS!

She made it on the Jumbotron?? OMG I should have bought a ticket just to see that. WAHOO!!

I'm (we're) so glad you enjoyed the restaurant. It was so incredibly fun to meet all of you and I can't wait to see you again!!

Lots of exclamation points STILL don't describe how you turned my Friday around. So grateful for you.

xo,
C

Dee Stephens said...

I'm heading to SD in July!! Lots of babies on the way :)

missy. said...

definitely sounds like an amazing trip. i'm in need of a very good relaxing and enjoyable vacation. so jealous of you girls!!

Faiza said...

am experiencing major estrogen withdrawal! and to be fair, i did cheer on CJ as well :)

love you and thankful to you for some amazing memories!

H. Gillham said...

How cute is all that?

Really cute.

I love baseball, baseball players, and making the Jumbro-tron. Life is good there.

Enjoyed reading about it.

Mashed potato taco? Yummy.

BellaGetsREal said...

Sounds like a fun trip. Anything that involves food and baseball is a beautiful thing.

Meghan said...

Ok, you ladies are just too adorable! I love that so many wonderful women were able to spend time together. I LOVE that CJ Wilson totally knows Marianne! AHHHH! And everyone just looks so happy - I'm so glad you had an amazing time!

Happiness Is... said...

So fun! CA girls' trips rock!

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

this looks like SUCH a fun trip!!! i definitely need a girls roadtrip in my life asap, instead of always hanging out locally!

and hottie player tweets? the. awesome.

Megan, The Frugalista Diaries said...

looks like a blast, travel envy!

Megan said...

Oh my goodness you girls got to have so much fun! I love that you all got together to do this. So happy for Marianne her patriotism definitely paid off!

Cait said...

wow looks like a great trip ) girls trips are SO important to have/take! new follower over here!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

What fun! I love that he's tweeted her back!

Micaela said...

Beautiful girl, i couldn't have said it any better than this! i just posted my blog post on our EPIC girls' trip and all of it makes me miss US so much <3 thank-you for another amazing trip and sharing your friends with us.

The ONLY thing i would have changed is wishing we had taken a photo with your boyfriend! It was so nice to finally meet the man who makes you happy and even better-- to see how happy YOU make him.

:)

i still can't get over "ceej" tweeting marianne!!!! AHHHHHHH <3 unreal and such a dream. Her happiness is everything to me and for making her dreams come true-- i can't thank you girls (or CJ!) enough.

here's to planning next year's trip!

LOVE YOU MORE THAN WORDS!!! XOXO

Kara said...

Oh my gosh, this looks amazing!!! I read Carrie's blog a lot and am always wishing I could eat at her bf's restaurant...sounds like it was pretty damn fantastic. So jealous!!

Mrs. Monologues said...

Looks like you had a fabulous time!!

Holly said...

epic trip! the baseball game looks so fun and noteworthy! but more importantly, where did you get that lovely dress you are wearing with amy? LOVE!

melifaif said...

Man, that looks like lots o fun!!!! I love that she made the jumbo tron...too cool. Cheers to good girls trips. :)

Marz said...

I love, love, love you girls!!! It's so humbling to me that you all would take the time out of your busy lives to indulge me in my C.J. (God I LOVE him!!) obsession!! I am so incredibly touched. I owe you all the world. Your happiness in my joy was so evident as we jumped around the hotel in celebration of my tweet ;) Thank you for making my dream come true and for sharing in this amazing experience with me. It couldn't have been any more perfect *seahorse!* haha And it happened all because of you girls. From the bottom of my heart, thank you!!!

The entire trip was magical! I loved being in your beautiful and cozy home and getting to spend time with your boyfriend! Matt is an incredible guy and I'm so thankful he makes you so happy! I loved getting to meet your friends and how sweet and fun everyone is! Thank you for hosting us again sweet Claire :) I wish I was drinking moscato on your couch right now :(

I love and miss each one of you so much!!! Until the next girls trip!!! xoxo

drollgirl said...

you are your girlfriends have the best adventures! seriously!

and lucky you getting to meet carrie and her man!

mashed potato tacos!? OKAY!!!!!!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Glad you ladies had a great time! I wish I'd gotten an invite sooner because I would have liked to go :( Anaheim is my team AND the city I was born in, afterall lol.

Maybe next time :)