Friday, May 18, 2012

Suspension of Disbelief

Warning: you might not want to read this if you haven't watched last night's episode of Grey's Anatomy and you intend to.

In most movies or books, we as readers/viewers have to employ our suspension of disbelief. Real life, without hyperbolic drama, extraordinary events, etc. just isn't interesting enough. I get that, both as a writer and a reader/tv-watcher, and I'm pretty good at putting my scrutiny and doubt aside to escape into a fantasy world for a while. But sometimes, the limits of my ability to suspend disbelief are tested.

Like last night, in Grey's Anatomy.

I think Grey's Anatomy is one of the greatest shows on tv. Aside from its spinoff show, Private Practice, it's the only show I watch every week no matter how busy I am. I'm plenty familiar with the Grey's drama: ridiculous medical conundrums, an explosive bomb inside a patient that threatens the whole hospital, a hospital shooter/mass murderer, a bizarre bus crash/fatality, a rare cancer, etc. etc. I love it. But last night--a plane crash? Just before the residents are about to fly on their own to new jobs at new hospitals?

I don't know, it just seemed a little too absurd and a little too convenient. Plus, I'm pissed that Lexie's dead. I liked her, and I love how dynamic her character has been over the seasons. And Mark's right: they were meant to be together.

The unbelievability of last night's show prevented me from feeling much emotion. Which is a bummer. On the other hand, I wept inconsolably at this week's Private Practice. So devastating.

What did y'all think? Are there any shows that just seem a little too far-fetched for you?

Happy Friday!

15 comments:

Leesh said...

I am EXTREMELY upset that Lexie is dead. I CANNOT get over this fact. The only reason why I kept on watching the show (because let's admit, there were some episodes that were fillers and were really dry) was that I wanted to Mark and Lexie to get back together. I TOTALLY agree with you (and Mark) that Lexie and him belong together. I don't know if I can continue watching when there is nothing to root for. I honestly thought that Arizona was going to die. The writers really did a number on us. Thanks for allowing me to vent. I had to keep it quiet all night because I didn't want to spoil it for anyone.

When Mark almost died, it broke my haert because it was like he was dying because he lost Lexie and wanted to be with her. That would have been some drama. I totally feel for him. I am still in disbelief with Lexie and I still so upset. I am not sure if I'll get over it. lol!

Micaela said...

You know how I felt at last week's preview to this crash. WTF.

But... i cried my eyes out and rewatched that scene with Mark and Lexi. As much as i hated that they killed off Lexi, I thought it was so well acted.

i still think wtf about the crash and wtf about the way it ended.

I never watched Private Practice but i've heard the same from my friend Erin who said it got much better than Grey's.

Lesley said...

i fell off the grey's bandwagon a long time ago but have tons of friends that are still sucked in. from an outsiders point of view this sounds totally ridiculous. glad to hear it was;). have a great weekend clairey! i want to see if you can make a vegetarian/vegan version of our favorite chili... let me know if you attempt it! xo

Faiza said...

i am such a lost cause when it comes to this. i watch the young and the restless everyday and have for 20plus years. that show has so many unbelievable things happening and yet i tune in everyday....

April said...

I lost interest in Grey's after the mass shooter episode, but I did really like Lexi and Mark together when I was watching it so this does make me sad. :/

GirlieBlogger@Beauty Fashion Blog Seattle said...

I thought the same. The plane crash is a bit...far fetched. And oh! Why did they kill off Lexie!?!?! She's too darn cute and smart to die.

Tiffany said...

I was so mad about the Lexie thing!! She was my favorite on the show and she and Mark were FINALLY going to get it together. I keep hoping somehow she'll be alive next season?? I know, I know. Dang it.

Private Practice was crazy intense. Who do you think Addison will pick??

~Tiffany
http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

Christina said...

It was soooo out there. It's become like a daytime soap. The characters kept repeating all the crappy stuff that has happened to them! So stupid. Lexie was the least annoying character and I’m mad that she died. They should have killed off Cristina.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

At first I thought it was going to be a dream because a plane crash... really? Then when they killed Lexie, I was done. I literally turned the channel.

Meri said...

Its funny you say that, because I actually had to stop watching Greys a few years back because I just couldn't deal with the ridiculous plot lines. The soapiness is fun though!

Shoshanah said...

I still can't believe what they did with Lexie. I've always really liked her character and was really hoping her and Mark would get back together. I have no idea where they're going to go on the show from here, but I wish I didn't have to wait all summer to find out.

Jax said...

I totally openly wept at Private Practice. When she told Sheldon he could cry, I started bawling.

This is my first season of Grey's not to have watched. I lost interest sometime last year. Living with a roomie (before Eric) that pretty much talked over every single show, I had to re-prioritize my dvr list to the shows I REALLY wanted to watch and Grey's didnt make the cut. :( I read about Lexie and was pissed off. I really liked her. And I agree about the plane crash. Lame.

drollgirl said...

i don't watch this show. i gave up on gossip girl last year. the plots were beyond retarded. blair would love, hate, love, hate, scheme against and reunite again WITH ONE PERSON all within one 60 minute episode. i just couldn't take it anymore!

Meghan said...

I hadn't watched much this season, but I was FLOORED at the episode. I cannot believe Lexie is gone, and I am so curious to see what happens!

But I agree. It's all too convenient sometimes:)

missy. said...

i just barely watched it and omg i was so sad! i agree though that it was a little convenient. can't believe lex is dead. so frustrating and poor mark.