Friday, June 15, 2012

Miscellaneous Friday Stuff

Hello, Friday!  So lovely to see you.  Particularly since I plan on spending you laying by the pool with a book in hand.  It's been so sunny here!

1.  Speaking of books, I finally finished this atrocity:


It took me so long to get through because the writing was cringe-worthy.  Cliche, repetitive, juvenile, unrealistic, trite as all get out . . . just bad.  So bad that I just can't make myself read the second one.  There are too many well-written books begging to be read.  The only ounce of hope I felt, after reading this drivel, was that maybe this trilogy will inspire other writers to merge erotica with mainstream fiction.  

2. I never really blog about giveaways, but you should enter this one, because it's awesome.  I gotta admit that I've been seriously coveting an Erin Condren life planner since I started hearing bloggers rave about them.  And since presales for next year's planners began this week, it's perfect timing!


3. All week I've been thinking about how to blog about this.  I don't think I have it in me to write the tribute post that he deserves, but in short, our family lost Ignatius this week.  I've been trying to explain to people who hadn't met him that he wasn't just a dog . . . he was a legend.  I've lost other dogs before and it's definitely always sad, but this is different.  Ignatius was the smartest, funniest, most terribly-behaved dog I've ever met, and his antics were the stuff of great novels.


He was nearing 12 years old, arthritic, dealing with Cushing's Disease, and the vet thinks he had developed a brain tumor.  It was time for him to go, but I was never going to be ready.  I've never loved a pet this much, and I still can't really conceive of the Kiefers without him.  It's a sad time for us & the end of an era, for sure.  You can read more about Ignatius's shenanigans here.

4. On a happier note, I'm obsessed with my new nail polish:

Sonia Kashuk, Smoke & Mirrors

I have another silver but this one is far superior.  I love it.  Can't wait to go back and get the gold!  In fact, maybe I should add a gold sparkly top coat . . . 

Linking up with Tara and Vicki for The Nail Files & wishing you a happy weekend.

The Nail Files

19 comments:

erin elder said...

I've been hearing mixed reviews about that 50 Shades book, and after reading your post, it's settled. I won't read it. THANK YOU for saving me hours of time I would otherwise never get back. :)

Still terribly saddened to hear about Ignatius... we had a dog like that in our family, and we lost him tragically to a car accident last year. His name was Axle... and he was one of those dogs that had survived just about everything. He was invincible... His adventures were definitely book worthy... Maybe him and Ignatius are playing together now, sharing stories... or at least I'd like to think so. ;)

I hope you have a lovely Friday and a lovely weekend! I love that nail color... i have something similar and wear it whenever I am feeling particularly fancy!

xoxo

Erin

Brianna said...

1) I read the trilogy and I agree. HORRIBLE writing. Just bad. But I kept reading cuz I liked the character development of Christian. Otherwise. Miserable reading through because it really was SO repetitive.
2) I'm so so sorry Claire! What a sweet dog he was and a huge part of your family!!!
3) looooove that polish!! I still need to get a silver one and I think that's it!

AmericanBridget (Jones) said...

I'm sad about Ig. When you wrote about him I felt like I was right there with him. I told my beagles about him all the time. It's like they knew of him too. I've only met one well behaved beagle in my 36 years. She happens to live with me now, but I was not responsible for training her. I just acquired her and she's great. My other beagle is a mess and always getting into trouble. Keep your head up. Ig's spirit lives on!

undomestic chica said...

I heard after you told me how bad 50 Shades was that it was self-published. NO WONDER it was so bad. That restores my faith in the book publishing industry 'cause I was seriously confused about how such drivel could actually get a publishing house to back it.

Faiza said...

i like 50 shades more for the escape but i agree it is not literary art of any sort.

your nails look AMAZING!

Lindsey said...

I still haven't finished Greys - yes, it is addicting but it started to get repetitive. Like she keeps questioning what to do. Just do it already, we know you are going to.

I'm so sorry to hear about your pup, but just think how much fun he is having in doggy Heaven. I totally know how you feel. My Mom didn't even tell me when she was putting our family dog (Widget) down because she didn't want to "upset me" so she called me at like 8 a.m. at work after she put him down to break the news. I cried at my desk all day and people were like ummmm .... are you OK? I couldn't even talk about it. Wish we could drink wine and have a girls night to cheer you up!!!

LOVE That silver. I have the gold but haven't used it yet. Maybe I shall test it out this weekend.

TGIF Claire!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

So sorry about your little guy. My heart still hurts for you :( But on a positive note, you nails look fab!

I don't want to read 50 Shades but I am considering it if Ian Sommerhalder is selected as the lead ;) Bow chicka wow wow

drollgirl said...

so very sorry to hear that you lost ignatius. it is so very hard to lose the pets, and this one sounds like he was so special.

i lost two kitties last year, and i still get so sad when i think about them.

anywhoo, hope you are doing ok.

tara said...

i am so so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog! hugs! :(

your nails look fab! love them!

Sandra Leiva said...

Cute nails!

*Sheinside giveaway on my blog!*

sheba said...

c, i'm so sorry to hear of ignatius's passing.

hated shades of grey. love your nail polish. miss you.

Erika said...

I'm so, so sorry to hear about Ignatius. What a little charmer! I lost my cat two summers ago; and I tell you, I still think about him all the time. It is incredible the type of profound effect animals have in our lives. Just be happy that Ignatius experienced a wonderful life with you. RIP. :(

On a brighter note...your nails look incredible - I'm loving silver right now...it's my favorite metallic for summer! :)

Meri said...

Oh, I am so so sorry about your dog. I've never had a pet before and can't even imagine what that loss is like.

meghan said...

I'm glad to hear this review of 50 Shades. I haven't read it, have been debating it, but have heard a bit about how terribly it's written. I've got such a long list of great books lined up to read that I really don't want to waste time on junk. It sounds like what this was. I'm sure at some point I'll read it in the future, but it sounds like it's not a good use of my time right now.

Celia said...

:( i am so sorry about your little one. i lost two of my kitties within 6mo of each other. thoughts and prayers with you.

thanks so much for sharing the giveaway!!

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

i REFUSE to succumb to 50 shades...i love books too much.

so so sorry for losing your precious ignatious, but he had SUCH a full life!! even if most of it was apparently full-on shenanigans.

bananas. said...

i'm so sad to hear about ignatius. i never met him but through your words, stories and images, i felt like i knew him.

i hope you and your family are hanging in there. just so you know, the most i ever cried was when my family dog sargent passed away so i know the feeling. i don't suggest watching marley & me...it will make you ball your eyes out.

sending you lots of virtual hugs.

xoxo.

Chelsea Elizabeth. said...

Everyones been reading that book!
And I'm sorry about your dog. I lost my german shepherd a year ago and I understand how a dog can be so much more than simply just a dog. Keeping you in my thoughts!
<3Chelsea Elizabeth

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Aw, I'm sorry to hear about your family dog. How sad!

On a happier note though, I love that nail polish!