Tuesday, June 12, 2012

On Blog Friendships

If you've been reading my blog for any amount of time, you know how blessed I've been when it comes to friendships that began with blogging.  If someone had told me, when I started this blog, that I'd meet some of my best friends through this odd, internet channel . . . I would have laughed.  But oh how true it has been: my life is so much richer than it was two years ago, all thanks to new(ish) friendships.

Don't get me wrong: I treasure my lifelong, old school friends just the same.  I've always been really social, and I am grateful for my friends all over the country (and beyond).  Which is kinda why I never really thought of blogging as a means to collect more friendships--I thought I already had enough!  Nevertheless, the friendships I've gained through blogging are just as valuable as those I've had for years & years.

One of the funniest things is hearing about blog friends' boyfriends'/husbands' reactions to blog friendships.  For the most part, they totally don't get it.  haha!  I'm lucky to have a boyfriend who is super supportive of my blog and blog friends, and he's been eager to meet many of my blog-generated girlfriends himself!  Including but probably not limited to: Sheba, Faiza, Micaela, Marianne, Shelly, Lindsay, and soon-to-be Kristin!

Last weekend, on our whirlwind trip from the Bay to Seattle and back, Matt and I got to stop briefly at Lindsay's house.  Lindsay and I connected via our blogs over a year ago, but have grown much closer in more recent months.  We've poured our hearts out to each other over email, shared pictures and stories, and I swear we'd hang out all the time if we lived anywhere near each other.  Needless to say, I was ecstatic to finally meet her!  But as has been true with all my dear blog friendships, it didn't even feel like we were meeting for the first time.


Lindsay was just as beautiful and sweet as I knew she'd be.  But those twin boys?  OMFG.  I don't know that I've ever seen anything cuter than those two.  They are hilarious and chubby and smart and precious, and I cannot wait to get my hands on them again.  I'm squealing just looking at them now!  I can't stop thinking about them.  Lindsay, ship them down to Auntie Claire for a weekend visit! :)

Now I have some questions for you:

Have you met anyone in person through blogging?
If you could meet anyone whose blog you read, who would it be?

20 comments:

Meghan said...

I agree - blogging friendships are so enriching and we really are very lucky!

I've met so many bloggers, and I will get to meet the lovely Faiza next week! Woo!

AmericanBridget (Jones) said...

Easy answer on who I'd want to meet as a source of blogging...YOU!!!!!!! Next time I am in SF area, I will give you a heads up and we can go share our stories over a bottle of wine or two!

undomestic chica said...

I seriously teared up. Who am I? I never cried until I had kids. Anyway, thanks for the sweet words and I'm so jealous you've met so many bloggers.

Ashley said...

girrrl...i seriously thought the same thing. you would have known having a blog would lead to "meeting" sooo many new gals!?!

i met brandi from home team dreams this past year and we have been besties ever since. i'm really grateful for this because of my recent move to PA, i didn't know anyone and she lives in MD.

i'd love to meet Marianne from Royal Mail. i adore her sooo much. lucky you!! ;)

Holly said...

aw such a sweet post!

i totally feel like people that dont blog think im a creeper when i meet up with other bloggers, but i love it! ive made some awesome friends.

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

i have several really close friends my husband calls my "internet minions"...and my mom TOTALLY doesn't get how i "meet" people online.

i'd definitely meet some of you west coast ladies if i could!!

Gracie said...

I agree with blog friendships. I've met only one blog friend and she's one of my closest friends now! I would love to meet so many people and I will be able to when I go to the USA.

Micaela said...

i always say my blog friendships-turned-girl trips (you!!!) are the greatest gift from blogging.

i just adored how matt was so at ease with a house full of your blog friends ;) especially us asking him ALL KINDS of questions.

I was so excited when you told me you were going to meet Lindsay. Isn't it true how when you meet someone, it truly does feel seamless-- as if you've known them forever.

I can still remember our first hug and how we didn't wanna let go. Or how i kept staring at how pretty you were. HA! now i sound like the creeper ;) (marianne -- claire i love your legs LOL we weren't even talking about your legs and it was out of nowhere from the back of the van hahaha)

I can see why you can't stop thinking about them- TWO TIMES THE CUTENESS!!!! Lindsay, please tell me your secret to looking incredible after twins :)

As you know i've met you, faiza, danielle, summer, meg, karina, and leanne of OMG I'm back in DC. i would still love to meet Marisa and April of April, Maybe. Also, i'd love to meet Amanda of Itchin' Stitchin'. I'm sad that Gracie will be in Dallas around the exact dates i'll be giving birth. :(

cheers to blog friends <3

drollgirl said...

three cheers for blog friends! it is nuts how we make such strong connections via blogging, and it is pretty awesome!

there are some blog friends i might be willing to meet in person. but i am kind of shy and it is easier to just stay connected on-line. but maybe someday. :)

Summer Athena said...

this makes me miss you.

Meri said...

I've only met one blogger in real life before, but I think blog friendships are special because you know you share a main common interest with bloggers and can get to know people pretty well through blogs!

Jayme and Mendi said...

We've been so lucky to have met some awesome local bloggers and a bunch from the DC area!! Just came over to say hi and follow you from Leeann @ Join The Gossip - she mentioned you today. Hope you stop by and say hi!!

Jayme & Mendi @ Her Late Night Cravings

melifaif said...

I have to agree with this post oh so much! I had NO idea that blogging would bring me friends. It just wasn't on my radar! But, I am completely jealous that you met Lindsay! She is high on my must meet bloggers list! As are you my dear, so I was bummed that I couldn't be the third leg to that blate. :) I'd also love to meet, K.Law, Summer Athena, the other Summer...and quite a few more, actually! Drollgirl, hello!?! Hilarious, and would love to meet. The list goes on...

melifaif said...

p.s. How could I forget NANERS!!! aka lil Mayra. Sooooo wanna meet that chick! ;) Fun post. Got me thinking all BICOASTALLY!!! lol.

Christina said...

That's so awesome! I recently met two blog friends for the first time and loved it! I totally get the way it looks to outside people, but "we" get it, don't we? I would love to meet Leeann from Join The Gossip next. We had a chance to meet up and I totally blew it! I've got to make it up to her.

Marz said...

All thanks to blogging I had the trip of a lifetime when you girls agreed to indulge me my CJ obsession and trek to Anaheim with me!! ;) I will never forget how amazing it felt to be at Angels Stadium with my best gals who I would never have met if it weren't for blogging! Seriously a top 3 moment for me :) (One being my wedding and two being in London! haha) It was the CUTEST when Matt was watching us exchange gifts and hug each other and commenting on how nice we all were to each other :) sweetest compliment ever! I miss you girls sooo much!!

It's so neat that me and you have both met Shelly! I would love to meet Ashely of Episodes of a Mixed Girl (it made my day that she said the same of me in her comment earlier!), April of April, Maybe (who will be moving to Texas after the summer and I'll get to meet then! Can't wait!) and Leesh of the Blarkness Chronicles just to name a few!

Faiza said...

you know i am have been struggling to capture my thoughts on our girls trip in a blog post for over a month now. how do you find the words to describe that much AWESOME?

love you my friend!

sheba said...

i don't blog as much as i'd like to, but i'm blessed to have met you through our sites. when we first "met" it really wasn't like the first time, though it did feel sort of like a blind date...a blind date i was really looking forward to. e has already adopted you into the friends i give him regular updates on. even he has to remind himself that we "met online"! xo

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Aw, I love this! That's so great that he's supportive of the friendships and how you've made them. I've met a few bloggers and they have all been super nice.

Kristen said...

I was lucky enough to spend some time in NYC with Miss Summer B. Someday, I MUST meet you! It will happen... just a matter of time :)