Monday, June 11, 2012

Playing Catch Up in a Major Way

OMG I've never gone this long without blogging.  But I miss it, and my bloggy peeps, and I want to show all of you what's been going on over the past week and a half.  Starting with, most importantly, the whirlwind trip Matt and I took last weekend.

I mentioned in my last post that his car was stolen. :( Oakland police did find it, but it was undriveable (stolen battery, cut cables, screwed-up ignition, etc.), so we surrendered it to the tow lot.  C'est la vie.  The good that came out of it: we got train tickets for the Coast Starlight and headed up to Seattle, where Matt's mom and stepdad live.  They were kind enough to offer their 2002 Subaru to replace Matt's pilfered Honda, which gave us a great excuse for a quick vacation.  I was nervous about the train, as it's a 23 hour ride from Oakland to Seattle . . . but it was amazing!  Such an incredibly memorable experience.  Trains are nothing like airplanes; way more spacious and old-world, and I actually slept in transit which is kinda unheard of for me.

Plus, our train car was chock full of Amish folks.  Exhibits A, B, and C:




Please excuse the poor quality of my pictures, as they were sneaky cell phone pics.  Three of the Amish women had infants, and all three of the babies were in full garb: black tights, wool dresses, bonnets.  We had no idea the train would be such a cultural experience!

The Coast Starlight stopped for an hour in Portland, so we quickly disembarked, ran around for a couple blocks (stretch those legs!), and found a cute bar serving up an awesome happy hour:


A porter & oysters for Matt; greyhound & chocolate sea salt truffle for me!  45 minutes and we were running back for the train.  

Matt's mom and stepdad picked us up in Seattle, and whisked us back to their home in Whidbey Island via the adorable car ferry.  After one of the best night's sleep I've ever had, we awoke to a warm house, locally-roasted coffee, and a parent-made breakfast.  They showed us around the cute, artsy island on which they live, and then right around lunchtime, we were on our way back down south.

First destination: Lindsay's house!  But that's a post of its own, so expect to hear about my PNW blogger date tomorrow. :)

After a brief stop at Lindsay's just outside of Seattle, Matt and I headed back down to Portland, where we stayed with his friends, Joe and Sara, for the night.  It was awesome meeting them, and so sweet watching Matt catch up with old buddies.   When morning came, we commenced the 12+ hour drive back to the bay.  It was a smooth drive (despite a brief encounter with a hailstorm), and we laughed ourselves all the way home.  He did every bit of the driving, and we even stopped for a sushi dinner finale in our 'hood before we got back to our apartment.  It was an incredible trip.  I'm a pretty lucky girl. ♥ ♥ ♥

Suffice to say we were both exhausted at work on Tuesday, but it was totally worth it.  I beseech you: take a train trip!  It was such an amazing experience.  And isn't that what life's all about???

Tell me: WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN UP TO????

18 comments:

FourJedis said...

Glad I'm not the only blog slacker. Glad you had a great trip - sounds perfect. Sorry about the car. That's a bummer.

Bonnie said...

It sounds like you have been busy! Sometimes life gets in the way of blogging. We have all been there!

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Happiness Is... said...

My dream vacay is the train across Canada! And I didn't know there were Amish people in California?!? My grandparents used to have a house in Michigan in Amish country, and it's fascinating, but I didn't know that any lived on the West Coast!!

E. Charlotte said...

I've always wanted to travel by train! We have a depot not far from here that I've always wanted to use to get to Seattle. I love your sneaky cell phone pics. Sounds like a very lovely mini vacation! :)

Lesley said...

that is seriously wild to see people dressed up in full amish garb. ca-razy! sorry to hear about matt's car, but glad it gave you an excuse for a little adventure. thinking about you and especially kit today. i know it's been a tough one. :(

Megan, The Frugalista Diaries said...

whoa! major culture experience, fun though ;D

xo Megan

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I've always wanted to go on a train trip! Now I want to even more!

I've never seen an Amish person, but I am really close to a big Orthodox Jewish neighborhood and it's like stepping back in time. It always fascinates (and impresses!) me how people keep there traditions alive!

drollgirl said...

wow! what a fantastic and fun adventure! COMPLETE WITH AMISH PEOPLE!!! that is so wild!!!!!!!

missy. said...

glad to hear you found the car but sucks it was ripped to shreds! that sucks. i love train rides and i've totally seen the amish peeps on trains before and i can't help but giggle to myself.

Christina said...

That sounds awesome! Even the Amish people! I’m dying to take a train trip around New England in the fall. It sucks that the weather wasn’t better up here. June has been ugly.

starnes family said...

We love the train in San Diego!

And, I LOVE learning about the Amish. Just finished Growing Up Amish. Great book.

Meri said...

there is something so romantic about a trip on a train! I haven't been on one in about 5 years and I miss it!

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

soo...i might need to do some googling and figure out how to get hubs on a train! seems fun =)

boo on his car being stolen...but glad you've a replacement!

Kara said...

Umm, did the Amish gentleman in the first pic just get plastic surgery??

I love love love train trips. We rode the train from South Bend, IN to Midway Airport in Chicago a year or two ago and it was a total blast. It was a much shorter train ride but way fun!

Chic 'n Cheap Living said...

Glad to see you back AND with a car dear! I just went through 3 hours at the DMV to get my new license and registration (oy the things one goes through after changing her name!)
Yay for nice road trips and a guy who is always willing to do the driving and make time for snacks!

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

melifaif said...

Amish!!!! Fun. My parents loved visiting the Amish country and my dad said he could actually live like them. I believe he could! :) Very cool experience. And you are totally making me wanna catch a train with Layla. Too fun...

I've been up to way too much. And my blog is majorly slacking.

Marz said...

I'm so jealous you got to ride an actual train with your man and go to Seattle! I've always wanted to do both! If only I could ride the magical train to Hogwarts - haha I love Harry Potter and that's what trains make me think of now!

I want to see the Amish babies soo bad!! Those sneaky cell phone pics had me cracking up!

Hate what happened to Matt's car :( But glad something good came out of it! I bet it was pretty special to spend time with his family and friends :) Miss you two so much!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I took the train once and it was full of Amish! I think that's their main mode of transportation! Glad you had a great time!