Friday, July 6, 2012

Friday Favorites: Gettin' Healthy Edition

I tend to be a pretty extreme person: I make decisions quickly and don't really do anything halfway.  So at some point on Wednesday night, while watching Snooki & JWOWW with Matt on the couch, I decided that it's time to jump back on the calorie-counting train.  I've been putting it off, making excuses, and trying to convince myself that I can eat really well without writing down what I eat.  But, that's a big fat lie & I know it.  When I don't hold myself accountable, I mindlessly eat the chocolate covered edamame that Matt brought me the other night, drink as much wine as I want to, and justify unhealthy foods when they're readily available.

And so, I've reunited with myfitnesspal.  Any of you on there?  Find me (clairekiefer)!

One of the things I like most about that app/site is that not only does it track my calories and exercise, but it lets me know the breakdown of what I'm eating in general: protein, sugar, carbs, etc.  It's helpful to know when I'm getting too much sugar/too little protein (pretty much always) so that I can try to make adjustments.

Recently, I've had two miserable experiences trying on bathing suits.  That, combined with my obsession with Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition, has compelled me to get serious about healthy food (and a little more regular with exercise).  So here are some faves:

Healthy Foods:

veggie tacos, big salads, beans of any kind, roasted veggies

These are some of my go-to faves.  I eat Ezekiel bread often in the mornings, but have never tried the Ezekiel tortillas that my fitness buddy Lindsey has talked about.  They're on my shopping list! It's pretty easy to stuff healthy tortillas with fresh veggies & whole beans, and tacos make me feel like I'm not on a diet. :)  Salads are always a standby for me, having been a vegetarian most of my life.  Beans are my "meat," so to speak: full of protein and filling.  And I never get tired of oven-roasted veggies.  So many different possible combinations, and I know this is weird, but I like to eat them with cottage cheese.

Exercise:

running, 30 Day Shred, leg strengthening, stretching

These are my "favorites" as far as exercise.  I've been trying to alternate running & 30 Day Shredding, but on days when I'm more mellow/don't have time for those, I rely on stretching my muscles and doing some simple leg conditioning (squats, lunges, etc.).  As usual, I simultaneously love & hate Jillian Michaels.  

Since I'm in need of inspiration, tell me: what are your favorite healthy foods and exercises?  Inevitably, I'll get bored with my routines & need to try something new.

link up with my girl Lindsey here

(images found here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here)

17 comments:

meghan said...

Funn! I have a board on pinterest with healthy foods. And for workouts, I love biking. I also love/hate Jillian Michaels. She's actually the only workout DVD that I have! I want to get one or two others of hers...

Ashley said...

Way to go! I'm also trying to eat a little cleaner and exercise more. I def fell of the wagon for a minute there! lol

Meri said...

I've been trying to change my diet since I recently had surgery, and trying to increase meals a day and increase protein, and I totally hear you on how tedious writing down calories/ nutrients is, but its not forever right? I've been buying a lot of Amy's organic soups and burritos to make it really easy, the downside being that they are EXPENSIVE! I'll have to check out the myfitnesspal. good luck to you!

drollgirl said...

girl, i hear ya. i recently stepped on the scale and was NOT PLEASED. i mean, i am never pleased when stepping on the scale, but this was b.a.d. so...i am on a diet. doing pretty good so far. the older you get, it seems the more weight you gain. i have to curb this problem! must! MUST! so i am working on it. i love love love food, but cripes, i also love being able to wear ALL of the clothes in my closet, and i hope to get back to that soon! soon-ish! :)

Flo said...

Great! I love myfitnesspal, it's such a great website! x

Meghan said...

I usually want to punch Jillian in the face, but she gets the job done! There are also so many similar workouts on Pinterest - anything labeled HIIT will be just as effective too if you need a change! Do you practice yoga? I can see you doing it - might be a nice change of pace, too!

Ocean Dreams said...

You go girl with the workouts, so proud of you! I need to be on the healthy eating wagon once more too, it's been a constant struggle of mine. I'll have to look into my fitness pal and find you if I download it! Keep up the good work, xoxo!

sheba said...

i fell off the MFP wagon awhile back but only b/c i jumped [back] on the weight watchers one. the WW app is a godsend. i can track my food, my exercise and my weight loss. i look up foods before i order them so i know whether i'll be sacrificing a lot of points for minimal taste.

as for cooking, i haven't gotten that far in that dept. i do love a good salad and b/c of the recent heat, have been addicted to blended watermelon with a squeeze of lime . . . zero points and so refreshing!

Bonnie said...

Secret obsession: "Snooki and JWoww" -- I love that show, and I am not ashamed.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Kristin W said...

I love this for Friday Favorites! I'm right there with you! We decided to go ahead and try Whole 30, and they encourage not counting calories or weighing yourself throughout (in an effort to just change your thinking about food). Nonetheless, I'd got to add exercise back in as I failed/gained miserably with our trip. I love to alternate running with the Shred. I'm also going to be trying to add in yoga.

Good luck! I'll be working out with ya ;)

Tiffany said...

I was doing SO well with MFP, and then fell off the wagon and have gained it all back. Grrr! SO mad at myself! But I'm back on it for real starting tomorrow. I know it works, so why don't I just do it? Just added you!

~Tiffany
http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

Lindsey said...

I'm going to need your veggie taco recipe stat and how do you grill your veggies in the oven???? If i had it my way, I'd boil veggies until all the vitamins were boiled out. So I've started broiling or grilling them. Help a girl out miss veggie queen. I have not had the ezekiel tortillas soft as I bake them for the black bean tostadas I make, but I bet they will be good for your tacos.

all right, this is becoming a novel and I need to get my ass in bed.

SO PROUD of you!!!! I just spent the evening cutting up fruit and veggies. I have my Greek yogurt and berries and meta-d drink in my lunch box ready to go in the am. I'm ready to make my egg white omlette when I get up.

Thanks for linking up with lil ole me.

melifaif said...

I don't have any tips. All I know, is I need to get on this train with ya! And stat. 'Cause my caboose is huge! lol.

Leesh said...

It looks like everyone is trying to eat healthy these days.

I tried the 30 Day Shred and gave up after 5 days. She was mean! Although, I think I can probably hack it now that I have worked out and strengthened on my own. Maybe I should give it another go.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

The shred is hard! Jillian was the devil for me. I still can't watch biggest loser because of her lol

Lesley said...

oh yeah jillian is my "favorite" too. ha! i love myfitnesspal too. good stuff. really if i eliminate most sugars and carbs the weight flies off. also, sticking to one glass of wine 2-3 days a week keeps the pounds down too. that wine is sneaky. love you tons!!

yours truly dear said...

i'm intrigued about ezekial bread...i've never heard of it. healthy foods are hard for me, i just want junk food and candy ALL THE TIME. i've been on an avacado kick lately, and i eat a lot of all natural fruit snacks. and a lot of candy... oops? i've also started exercising recently, and i love doing zumba. occasionally i'll do some free weights at home too, which i need to do more of because i'm such a weakling!! best of luck to you my dear!!