Friday, July 27, 2012

Friday Favorites

I can't believe it's Friday again.  This week has been a little bit ruthless, with various hailstorms of stress including but not limited to: our roommate moving out (& therefore searching for a new one . . . or a new apartment), this emotionally draining writing workshop I've been teaching (plus a myriad of other work), a stress-induced temper fit on my part, and yet another court date with a certain vengeful ex of my boyfriend's.  Not to mention, I'm in the midst of a no-health-insurance period (it won't kick in until the fall with my new job), which makes me nervous.  Ay, life.  Thank God for the good things (and people), right?

In order to keep afloat this week, I've tried to focus on some of these awesome things, in no particular order:


My friend Lesley posted the recipe the other day on her blog, and I made it immediately with just a few alterations:

*I used veggie instead of chicken stock (and a little more than she suggested)
*I doubled the amount of minced garlic
*I used vegan Earth Balance instead of butter (cause that's what I had in my fridge)


And they were so good that I made them again the very next day.  This means a lot coming from me, cause cauliflower is like my least favorite vegetable.  But these seriously taste like mashed potatoes!


Have I mentioned how much I love this show?  I got into it sometime last summer, and I think I've seen every episode.  Basically, the trainer, Chris Powell, takes on one "super-obese" client and spends an entire year on his/her transformation (diet and exercise).  The results are astounding--these people lose over half their body weight!  I couldn't find any before & after pics that do it justice, so you'll just have to watch for yourselves. :)

*p.s. as an added bonus, this show always puts me in the mood to run/workout 




I'm lusting over these Zara wedges right now and, dangerously, they're on sale.  I haven't decided yet if I'm going to let myself indulge . . . but they sure are stuck on the brain.  Aren't they cute?  And it doesn't even matter that summer's more than halfway over, cause these shoes are wearable in San Francisco almost all year round. ;)

I'm off to try to set my DVR to record the Olympics, but tell me: what are you loving this week?

(link up with Lindsey here!)

15 comments:

Lindsey said...

I need those wedges! They are so cute and I don't own a nude/beige pair. NEED! Still need to set my DVR to record that show and the Olympics for that matter. I cannot wait for the Opening Ceremony tonight. Will you be home? Can we drink wine and text about it??

Kate Kiefer said...

the price isn't the only dangerous thing about those wedges. i'd be falling on my face.

Happiness Is... said...

oh man - a court date?!? that sounds insane.

Lesley said...

i am SO glad you liked them!!

Niki said...

I love those shoes! Zara has the best stuff!!

RaeAbigael said...

love it! :)) well, as for me, i love this week especially today because it's my 19th bday! heehee

visit my blog? http://raellarina.blogspot.com/
and if you like it, feel free to click that follow button pretty! ^^)

sheba said...

i can't believe how far behind i am on my blog reading!
cauliflower is my least favorite vegetable too...maybe i should try this recipe.
hope all the stress goes away soon. maybe you should hold off on the wedges until you have health insurance again. ;)

Emilie said...

Love the wedges too!! You should go form them, especially if they are on sale :p Fun post, I like your writing!

xxxx

lifeisroyalty.blogspot.com

Jax said...

What a week, girl! Sorry it's been a blah one, but good perspective. I needed a dose of that earlier last week when I was in a funk and determined to stay in it.. and I didn't have half of that stuff going on. Loving those shoes, sister!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I love Extreme Makeover!

I hope the week ahead is much better for you. You don't need stress!! :(

Chelsea Elizabeth. said...

I love those shoes! They are seriously so cute!

<3Chelsea Elizabeth

drollgirl said...

ack! so much stress in life lately! bring on the GOOD TIMES!!!!!!

i am so picky about vegetables! so PICKY! i finally tried cauliflower for the first time last year (at age 41!!!), and i actually love it -- as long as it is not overcooked. and it has to have a LOT of garlic added to it. soooooo, needless to say, i want to try this recipe!

get those wedges! especially if they are on sale and they have your size! people keep acting like summer is almost over, but it is usually hot until NOVEMBER in these parts! this is california!

Faiza said...

get.the.shoes.

melifaif said...

LIFE!!! It's a lil booger at times. Hang in there Claire.

Matthew Snope said...

I saw one chicken at TrainTown. Chicken not by me. Chicken not hear me.