Friday, August 3, 2012

Beauty Product Don'ts

I love reading blogs that recommend new hair/skin/makeup products, cause I've found some amazing products that way.  At the same time, I think it's important to share what isn't working for us, in the hopes of sparing other bloggers wasted money.

Recently I've tried three products that have not panned out so well.  I had high hopes for each of these, but they all fell short:


I don't have sensitive skin at all, and this made my face break out!  Honestly, I can't remember another time when a product made me break out.  But after using it for several consecutive days, I woke up with straight-up pimples on my face.  Like several of them.  I stopped using it immediately, and my skin is right back to normal.

Several people have told me that Garnier BB Cream didn't work for them, either.  And honestly, I'm not sure there was much of a difference in how my skin looked.  Sure, it was a little bit smoother, but certainly no more than when I use a tinted moisturizer (by the way, I've been using e.l.f. tinted moisturizer, and it's a whopping $3).  


I wanted to like this.  I love the idea of chapstick/lipstick hybrid balms.  But this one dried my lips out, and I didn't find it moisturizing at all.  I bought it in Cherry Me, which was a little too bright for my skin color . . . but I would have used it anyway if it felt good on my lips.  Sadly, it's been relegated to the reject pile.  I think I need to stick to straight up chapstick (this one is my favorite--it's amazing!).



Sometimes, I think matte polish on nails looks really cool.  I tried this emerald color from Revlon, and I did like the way it looked when my nails were painted.  However, when I took the polish off, I discovered that this polish had stained the bejesus out of my nails and they were SO YELLOW for SO LONG.  Ugh.  See??


Sick, right?  They basically had to just grow out--I couldn't get the yellow off for the life of me.  And frankly, I don't even think the picture does justice to the sunshiney yellow hue my nails took on.  

Anyone else disappointed by a beauty purchase lately?

19 comments:

Dee Stephens said...

Good to know! I heard another blogger this week rave about that BB cream.
I went and looked for it at CVS and couldn't find.
Now, I KNOW i'm not buying it! thanks!

Alicia Marie said...

The Maybelline BB cream is supposed to be better, but I'm always worried about my oily skin getting even oily-er. I usually just stick to powder. I might try out a tinter moisturizer though during the cooler months. But I love Baby Lips! Maybe you got a stinker one out of the bunch. HAHA

Lindsey said...

awww boo, I love baby lips. I heard the loreal BB cream is good if you want to try that one out. I got sample of Dr. Jarts BB cream and I LOVE It. too bad it is $50 bones.

ummm yellow nails? yucky!!!!

TGIF!!!!!


I cannot believe you scheduled this post btw. I saw you in the feed early this am and I was like wtf? She's awake? Then I remember you schedule it! hahaha

Leesh said...

Claire - this is a graet idea! I have some products that I tried and didn't like.

I am using the BB Dream Cream from Maybelline, while I like it, I have a feeling it may have been the cause of my breakout. I am not sure. One BB Cream that I really like and did wonders for my skin is the one from Marcelle.

I wanted to try the lip balm from Maybelline too but I was warned by a couple of people, so I didn't bother to try.

So thank you for this post and the warnings!

Leesh said...

p.s. - gross, I can't believe the polish stained your nails like that. I found that when I used polish from Forever 21, it stained my nails purple (sadly, so did a blue one from OPI).

Christina said...

I love honest reviews! I didn't like the BB Cream at all. I do like Baby Lips though. And that nail polish is gross! I don't really like the matte look either.

Erin @ Sassin' Southern Style said...

I just posted that Monistat Anti-Chafing gel that eeeeeveryone swears is a dupe for Smashbox primer is less than desirable.

Using even the tiniest dusting of e.l.f's contouring bronzer makes me 1) look about as tan as George Hamilton (not a good thing), and 2) get all flaky-like where I applied it. Not cute.
Thanks for the honest views!

Kimberly Seibel said...

Hey Claire--You should try no-poo. Check it out on google.

bananas. said...

i actually like maybelline's baby lips...more so because it's cute. however i agree it doesn't necessarily moisturize the lips...which is why i always carry my burt's bees chapstick. now THAT is a always constant in my beauty bag!

Krystal said...

ohhh interesting twist of a post! i've been sticking to products i know i like lately so i haven't really tried anything new...maybe i should branch out!

tara said...

you know i HATED that bb cream! lol. and i actually just threw away the baby lips i got after hearing everyone rave about it! not a fan!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

That same BB cream made my face break out in a BAD way! Demand your money back. They'll give it to you!

FriskaApsari said...

nice blog I think :)

now I have a newest post :)check out my blog !
maybe , can you follow my blog please ? and I will follow back your blog :)
or give your opinion in my post :)
I don't force you :)

http://friskaapsari.blogspot.com/

Ocean Dreams said...

Yikes, good to know! I'm glad that you shared some products that you don't like because I agree, sometimes it is hard to know what isn't good too! Hope you are having a nice weekend girl!

Kristen said...

LOVE this post... but here's my truth. I never buy "new" beauty products.
I get a liter of Aveda Shampoo and a liter of Conditioner for Christmas and it lasts me all year long. I have very sensitive skin so I use the same face cleaner and lotion all the time.
And thanks to my student loans and mega budget, I don't get to splurge on makeup or nail polish. BUT... I LOVE reading about what's out there... and I do keep a list in case some day I can splurge :) Now I know what NOT to try!!!

drollgirl said...

omg so many beauty products are so disappointing! blargh! i try not to think of how much money i have wasted in this area. i have a gigantic REJECT pile that i need to either chuck or give to my little nieces.

i recently ordered some eyeshadows via hautelook. they shipped them to me with ZERO padding. HELLO??!?!?!?! i opened the package and there was eyeshadow dust EVERYWHERE. they can look forward to receiving it RIGHT BACK.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

What a great idea! Thanks for posting!

I notice that no matter what brand I use of nail polish, the more I paint my nails, they automatically get stained. I thought it was just from not letting them breathe though.

And this is so bad...I have a hard time washing my face at all. I usually just use makeup remover wipes. Whenever I wash it a lot I break out. I've heard that it's because it's cleaning everything out but I don't want to have pimples as a result :(

Micaela said...

i think i mentioned this to you but i was bummed out over the moroccan argan oil shampoos/conditioners. i thought it made my hair incredibly dry and hated how it felt even in a lather.

this is not really related because it's not a beauty product that i hate but something i love? (again not a beauty product lol) detergent pods!

Kimberlee Van Der Wall said...

Thanks for sharing!! So helpful.

Oh my that nail polish is quite the dilemma :( Typically red polishes stain nails.

I heard bad things about Garnier's BB Cream for other beauty blogger friends. I went a step up to Smashbox's BB Cream which is quite nice. I have sensitive skin and it does not irritate me so perhaps try that?