Monday, August 13, 2012

Off to Georgia

But this visit will be bittersweet.

photo by my sister

photos by my brother-in-law, Andy Lee

Grandma in May on her 92nd birthday, photo by my sister

We lost my precious grandma this past Wednesday.  She'd been on the steady decline for months, and we knew it was coming, but oh how I will miss her.  When she died, she was sleeping peacefully and surrounded by family, which is just how anyone would want to leave this world, I know . . . though it's tough to grapple with death, no matter the circumstances.  I'm sad she couldn't have made it another week so I could have hugged her and said goodbye, though I'm grateful for my family who made her feel so comfortable and so loved in her final days (months, really).  

Over the past five days, we've all been emailing back and forth about funeral arrangements, writing and editing the obituary, and talking details . . . and it's just so strange.  Strange to be grieving the loss of someone so dear, and having to focus on what seems like minutiae.  So surreal to email my dad and be like "oh, hey, you need a comma after this, a semi-colon after that" in a paragraph attempting to sum up my grandma's remarkable life.  

The funeral is on Saturday.  We will toast her and celebrate her and hope that everyone up in heaven is appreciating her spunk.  I wish I could say she's hanging out with Ignatius up there, but let's be honest. . . I'm not sure he made it past St. Peter. ;)

We'll miss you dearly, Grandma.  Your spirit will be with us, always.

21 comments:

sheba said...

Claire, words cannot express my sadness for all those close to your grandmother. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you and your family grieve the loss of such an amazing woman. Love you.

amyschmamey said...

I'm very sorry that you are going through this loss.

Micaela said...

Sweet Claire, your family has been in my thoughts and prayers <3 I'm here if you need anything. I LOVE YOU!!!

oh, and i'm pretty sure Ig would have found some way into St. Peter's heart, just like he did your father's :) So yeah, she's hanging out. ;)

Faiza said...

So sorry that you didn't get to see her on your birthday. Thankful that she left this physical world knowing she was loved and will be loved for years to come.

Enjoy remembering her while you are home.

HUGS.

amanda said...

Oh Claire, I'm so sorry for your loss. I will be thinking of you and your family. xoxo

robayre said...

I officially declare this year "Suckfest 2012". Claire, I'm glad you and your family had time to say goodbye to your grandma over the last few months. I'm glad to know she is at peace now. (((Claire)))

Lesley said...

such a sweet post. i love seeing those pictures and will miss her face on IG. she was a precious, spunky lady that will certainly leave a void. love you all.

AmericanBridget (Jones) said...

Oh Claire, I am sorry to learn of this. What a beautiful post about her. And yes, all beagles go to heaven b/c God needs laughter too and let's face it, the beagle breed have been labeled the court jesters of the canines. And I am sure your grandma is sitting with him smiling on all of you.

J. said...

I love you. Plain and simple. Hugs from Oklahoma, my dear. <3

Katie Price said...

Aw Claire, I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma. I hope the time with your family helps ease the pain a little. Safe travels!

drollgirl said...

oh girl. my heart goes out to you. i love the pics of your grandma, and i am certain she was so special.

my one remaining grandparent is in terrible health, and has been for years. last year i got the email that she was expected to die shortly. my sister and i hurried and traveled to see her, as did most of the family. i thought i was prepared, but i burst into tears repeatedly as i got ready for that visit. and then i went and saw her and couldn't seem to get a grip. she is still living, but she is mostly gone already. i know she won't last too much longer, and that her quality of life is just GONE. it is so sad. it hurts so much.

hang in there, and i am so very sorry for your loss.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Haha Ignatius made it up there! i bet there up there thinking of pranks to pull on you all ;)

Your grandma was such a pretty lady! So cute! Sounds like under the circumstances she had a pretty loving passing.

So sorry for your loss! If you need anything let me know! I can text you a gut shot, that would surely make you feel better ;)

Marz said...

I've been thinking about you a lot lately and wishing I could give you hugs of comfort! I'm so sorry for your loss and am just so glad you'll be able to be there with your family celebrating her. Those photos are so beautiful! She seemed so precious! If you need anything, I'm just a phone call away. I love you C!! xoxo

meghan said...

I am so sorry Claire. I hope you and your family are doing okay. I'm sorry you weren't there, but it sounds like she was surrounded by people who made her comfortable.

Tiffany said...

Oh, Claire. God bless you guys. I'll be praying for you and your family.

~Tiffany
http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

Kara said...

Oh, how my heart hurts for you. What a loss. Wishing peace for you and sending all my love <3

Kristin W said...

What beautiful pictures, Claire. I'm so sorry for your loss. Try to enjoy this time with your family & remember the best memories.

Meghan said...

My thoughts are with you and your family, Claire! I will be thinking of you. Hugs!

melifaif said...

She lived a wonderful life, I know. God Bless her...and your entire family.

Leesh said...

I'm sorry that I am commenting so late but I am sorry to hear about your Grandma's passing. I was wondering why you were off to Georgia.

And I agree that it would be nice for anyone to be surrounded by family when it's their time to go. It may be hard for the ones being left behind but it's better than not being able to say goodbye.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Aw, Claire, I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm just now catching up on blogs and saw this. Hang in there.