Monday, August 20, 2012

Scenes from the Homeland

Matt and I are heading back to San Francisco today after a week with my family in Georgia.  It's always strange to leave, but I'm definitely looking forward to being back in my own apartment and easing back into my schedule.  It was an emotional visit this time around, with a funeral to prepare for and everything that comes with that, but it was also really nice to introduce Matt to the place where I grew up.

can't get enough

Mama's backyard.  So many trees.

from the upstairs window at my mama's looking over
at the neighbor's green yard and red barns

I got in last Monday, and Matt joined me on Thursday (which was my birthday, in fact).  We had a low-key night in with some good friends and my favorite pizza ever.  Usually I am all about birthday festivities, but with all that was going on this year, a mellow night at my mama's was perfect.  And it was Matt's first time meeting her. :)

with Lane, one of my besties (we've been friends for 20 years)

view from the top of Kennesaw Mountain, next door to where I grew up

one of many southern meals with my man, this one at the OK Cafe

The funeral was on Saturday, and it was just as my grandma would have wanted it: Catholic and full of family.  My dad played guitar, my aunt sang Amazing Grace, and we all remembered what a dear woman she was.  My goodness, we will miss her.

Being the fans of irony and juxtaposition that we are, Matt and I headed to a comedy club on Saturday night.  Seemed like a good way to shake off the funeral blues, and we had free tickets thanks to a friend. We saw Tommy Blaze and he was hilarious.  Especially when he picked on the couple behind us who were awkwardly navigating their way through their second date.

I always love spending time with my enormous nephew

And so it's back to California today.  I'm actually really looking forward to getting back to work, which is a mighty pleasant feeling, I must say.

7 comments:

Micaela said...

aw, seeing your Mama's backyard reminds me of when we first met! how we couldn't stop hugging <3

i'm sure your boyfriend charmed your mama just like he did us girls ;) btw, how cute is he in glasses AND a tie?! i also loved the photos of you he posted on instagram and the sweet little messages about his love for you. love it!!! but more than that, i'm so glad he was there for you/with you while you were going through a bittersweet time.

i love you claire!!!

ps. i am praying there's something waiting for you from me and marianne when you get home. i don't want to ruin a surprise, but i'm keeping my fingers crossed that UPS was able to fit it through your mailbox slot and NOT leave it outside your door. let me know? XO

undomestic chica said...

I want to visit! Georgia looks wonderful. I'm sorry you had to go because of such a sad time, but YAY for Matt meeting the family. Love you gorgeous.

Dee Stephens said...

Sorry about your grandmother. Love GA and peaches :)

Jax said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your grandmother. Eric lost his grandfather-also 92 years old- last week and we had the funeral today. It's so great to celebrate a long life well-lived, albeit sad to no longer have them close enough to call or hug anymore.

Happy belated birthday to you, friend. Your mom's backyard is absolutely gorgeous-so green! I'm sorry for the reason behind your visit back home, but happy you got to fly home for the services and spend time with family and friends. :)

melifaif said...

I am so sorry for you loss, Claire. I have been MIA lately and trying to catch up. Things like this hurt to read, but such is life. Happy belated...and many blessings on remembering the fabulous time with your g-ma. :)

Kristin W said...

So glad that Matt got to come with you! And not a great way to visit, but at least you got some peaches! I have been obsessing over them this year!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

That's great that Matt was able to be there with you.