Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Things I've Been Making Lately

I get a CSA box every three weeks, and it's pretty much the highlight of my month.  The best part about getting produce straight from a farm is that I end up trying new recipes, since I get things in my box that I normally wouldn't buy at the store.  Case in point: the eggplant that came last week.  Now, I looooooove a good eggplant parm, and the eggplant penne at Lococo's is to die for.  But I've never been masterful at cooking the ol' aubergine, so I basically never buy them at the grocery store.

After scouring the internet for healthyish eggplant recipes, I settled on this one.  But, as usual, I made a few modifications in order to achieve this deliciousness:


*I didn't peel my eggplant
*I used panko bread crumbs instead of wheat germ
*I added a healthy shake (or three) of nutritional yeast to the breading mix
*I made about 1/3 extra of the breading mix so that my eggplant slices were pretty heavily breaded
*I sprayed the baking tray with nonstick cooking spray

and for the sauce, I:
*sauteed 1/2 an onion, a smallish sweet pepper (also from my CSA box), and minced garlic
*when it was sufficiently translucent/cooked/browning, I added a jar of Giada's Roasted Garlic marinara as recommended by Lindsey
*threw in several shakes of chili flakes and Italian seasoning

When it was all done, I stacked eggplant/marinara/eggplant/marinara/eggplant/marinara with a pinch of part-skim mozzarella on top, and heavens to Betsy it was good.  Seriously, one of my new faves.  I had to stop myself from devouring the entire tray.

Best part?  It was super easy & quick.  40 minutes tops, start to finish, and well worth the time.  Make it! and report back to me your delight.

I've also been making some jewelry lately; something I really haven't done since college.  I went through a frenzied period when I was living in New Orleans during which I spent hundreds of dollars on beads, materials, etc. and countless hours fashioning necklaces, bracelets, and earrings.  But since I pretty much burned myself out, I haven't played around with jewelry in many years.  I don't know what came over me (well, yes I do, I wanted to make thank you gifts for the Domino Five, although I still haven't sent them . . . ), but recently I've been whipping out some DIY accessories:


Fun!  I need to work on the durability of my creations, though.  Any jewelers out there wanna give me some tips on how to make sure the jump rings don't split?

And lastly, I "made" this poem several years ago, but it just came out this summer in Booth.  Well, I guess it came out two months ago, but I just noticed it today.  So it's "new."  Ha.

Happy Wednesday!

17 comments:

Meredith said...

Um, I want to be you when I grow up. That poem gave me goosebumps, your jewelry looks awesome and now I'm craving eggplant! You get a big gold star this week!

amyschmamey said...

This looks great! I love eggplant! I'll have to try this.

Leesh said...

I wish I could make my own jewelry but I rather buy instead :)

What is a CSA box?

Joelle :: Something Charming said...

I love eggplant parmesan, but I never make it for myself. I might need to try it with this recipe though (and probably fry it...).

Your jewelry looks just beautiful my dear. Can't wait to see more!

xoxo,
Joelle

Micaela said...

Claire, OMG. I have never read anything more beautiful than that poem right there. I want a framed copy with your signature, i love it so.

and not only are you talented with your words but why have you never mentioned you are talented with jewelry making?! i'm excited that i'm included in the Domino Five ;) but seriously-- i want to buy that bracelet to the right off you. actually, why haven't you opened up a shop?!

right now i wish i could transport myself to your apartment and have you feed me because this pregnant body just wants to lay around. laying around with you would def. be a lot of fun! we could watch trash tv, you could read me celebrity/blog gossip (ha) and paint our nails.

but since i can't do that just yet :( thank-you for the recipe sharing!!! i am always in need of good vegetarian recipes. i love you!

Kelly { MessyDirtyHair } said...

you made all that jewelry? so cool! love it!!! xo Kelly


PS. Come & Enter a few giveaways I have going on!

Marz said...

I literally just called Micaela to make sure she's read your beautiful poem. I called her without even looking at your comments to see that she had in fact already read it. Funny thing is she meant to call me to make sure I read it and I was in a meeting! That's how much your words affected us! WOW Claire. Your poem made me feel so many emotions…I got goosebumps, I wanted to cry, yet I was smiling remembering some moments I have felt exactly what you wrote about which then made me long to call a certain someone from my past. Your words truly moved me! Such a beautiful and haunting poem!

You don't even know how much it makes me smile to see "Domino Five"!!! I freaking love it!! I went back and read your blog post about our epic trip and am just SO thankful for those memories we made!! When I was at the ballpark in Arlington last Thur watching my C.J. I kept telling Philip how surreal that experience in Anaheim was for me. The whole trip could not have been any better. I still want to jump up and down when I think of getting on the jumbo tron and getting that tweet!! It's seriously the wallpaper on my phone!!! haha ;) I never get tired of seeing it :)

I had no idea you made such beautiful jewelry!! Your pieces are SO pretty!!! I am lucky I'll have a piece of a Claire original to show off ;) I love you for your thoughtfulness!!!

That eggplant looks amazing! I am about to get off work (YAY!!) and I wish I could have some for dinner!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

That food looks delish!! And the bracelet is gorgeous! Great job :)

AND yay for the poem!!! Congrats!

Kristin W said...

Okkkkkk. So much awesomeness going on here. 1) So jealous you get a CSA box. I've done a little research and it's just expensive for the two of us. 2) That meal is amazing. I think I could convince D on breaded eggplant. And yes! We use nutritional yeast for our tofu we sautee. 3) Jewelry?! You are amazing! It looks awesome. 4) Congrats on the poem!! 5) Do you have HTML coding for your button? I'd love to add yours to my blog roll!

GirlieBlogger@Beauty Fashion Blog Seattle said...

Whoo that eggplant looks super yummy. You are such a talented person - jewelry looks beautiful.

Lindsey said...

1st) thanks for the Giada shout out!

2nd) I can't wait to make the eggplant ... Get in my belly

3rd) and most importantly, your poem is beyond amazing. Like I don't have the words. You are too humble my friend.

sophistifunk said...

yuuuum! love me some eggplant! i had eggplant bruschetta last night and it was uuuuhmazing!
p.s. i'm your newest follower :)

xo brie
www.sophistifunkblog.blogspot.com

Aleyta said...

Agreed!

Matthew Snope said...

Besides trouble, you mean.

amanda said...

I am making this recipe tonight! Here is what I made recently and loved it.

http://www.sproutedkitchen.com/home/2012/1/18/wild-rice-salad-with-miso-dressing.html

In fact, Sprouted Kitchen is my new favorite cooking blog! Check it out if you haven't yet! xoxo

undomestic chica said...

You're so talented. You could solder the jump rings....

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Oh my gosh! I love all of that cute jewelry you've been making!