Monday, August 27, 2012

Weekend Update

After such a relaxing weekend, Monday morning's hitting like a ton of bricks.  Thank God for (strong) coffee.  People who don't drink it: how do you survive mornings??

Matt and I had a legit date night on Friday, and boy did we need it.  Our intention was to go to this weird sushi restaurant in our hood and then to see The Campaign, but the weird sushi restaurant turned out to be not so much a weird sushi restaurant at all, but a super hip bar & grill (more like bar & fine small plates establishment) called Honor.  The outside of the building still boasts the sorta-defunct SUSHI VILLAGE sign (plus incredibly strange marquees, with phrases like "Vegetarian Drinks are Back!" and "European Bowling is Here"), but inside is a veritable circus of hipsters & beer aficionados watching avante garde (and ironic) films on the flat screen tvs behind the trendy bar.  In short: we'll be back.

should've known it was a hipster bar

Not a whole lotta veggie selections on the menu, but they had Hell or High Watermelon on tap, so I'm sold.  

After our unexpectedly trendy "meal," we headed to the movies to see The Campaign, AND IT WAS FUNNY AS ALL GET OUT.  Zach Galifianakis was spot on as an uppity effeminate southern Republican and had me crackin' up the entire time.  I'm often critical of southern accents in tv and movies, but he nailed it.  I'm not even a movie person and I already want to see it again.  Especially in light of all the mudslangin' that's been going down in our actual campaign these days: oh so timely.


I spent Saturday working, organizing our house a little, drinking coffee, and playing wii.  It was pretty awesome to have a day in which I didn't get out of my jammies till late afternoon.  I'm still recovering from cross-country travel + work + funeral business and all that, so relaxation was in order.  And Sunday wasn't much more eventful; Matt and I showed off our apartment (we're trying to find a new roommate), went on an evening neighborhood stroll, and he cooked me this delightful meal of eggplant, spinach, red pepper, and angel hair pasta.  It's why I keep him around:



I also spent part of the day working on my blog.  I'm trying to learn a little bit of html so I can spruce things up around these parts without having to pay someone a fortune to do so.  Any ideas on websites that are awesome for people like me (who don't know the first thing about web design) to learn how to make blogs pretty?

Hope everyone had a great weekend & that Monday isn't so brutal.  Link up with Leeann, Sami, and Dana here!

15 comments:

Erin @ Sassin' Southern Style said...

Obviously, I didn't do my current blog design, but back in the day when it was all DIY, I was quite the html whiz. I Googled everything, and was pretty successful most of the time. I actually have a private blog just for testing code before I bring it over to the real deal.

Glad you found a gem in that weird/cool restaurant bar!

Kait said...

If you are able to spend a tiny bit of money, Kristen @ Whiskey.Tango.Foxtrot will make your blog over for $65. It's really a steal and she offers examples of all the work she's done. If you truly can't spend the money, You can definitely Google everything you might have questions with. Also, PicMonkey is a great site to make photo collages for blog headers. Have a great week!

Sami said...

Oh goodness HTML scares the living day lights out of me :) I know Chelsea from Yours Truly does pretty affordable blog makeovers and they look great! Sounds like you had a fun weekend, thanks for linking up!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Sounds like a pretty busy weekend! And that food you guys had was unreal - so fancy :)

I'm sorry to hear that you had to attend a funeral. I had no idea. I've been a bad blogger friend. Hope all is OK.

Thanks for linking up with us!

Katie Price said...

I need to find a bar with Hell or High Watermelon, after hearing you & Kristen both talk about it.

Some of my favorite DIY Design links:

http://www.makincuteblogs.com/
http://theblogdesignernetwork.com/

And if you ever get really stuck, you can always shoot me an email. I've sorta got this blog-design thing down, and am happy to help learners :)

Nikki said...

Nom nom nom, the food looks delish! Your weekend sounds fun! I'm stopping by from Weekend Update. Now that it's Monday I hope you have a great week.

Lesley said...

looks like you're already making progress! looks great. just keep googling specific html that you want to learn. colors, photo sizes, et. you can do it! glad you and matt had a great time out. date nights are the best!

Marz said...

Hell or High Watermelon - sounds like my kind of drink!!! We'll definitely have to go visit this place next time I visit! ;) And next trip, sweet Matt is DEFINITELY cooking us that meal. Looks so yummy! I'm so glad you and Matt had a great, relaxing weekend together.

If you find out about the html stuff, let me know!! My blog needs a MAJOR overhaul. I want to change my blog name etc. but am WAY too scared to try and do anything in fear I'll lose everything! I work with web designers, one that told me he'd help me, but they're so swamped and behind in their work load that my little old blog isn't a priority lol but I'd love to have three columns and a more updated look. Let me know sweet girl! ;)

drollgirl said...

hooray for relaxing weekends!!!

and that MEAL matt made?!?!? omg it looks scrumptious!!

i don't know html, but my former co-worker (lovemaegan!) taught me many good tricks. the easiest one is that you can google just about ANY html question you have and you will get an answer + html code + instructions. LOVE THAT!

sooner or later i need to learn more design stuff, including photoshop and indesign and illustrator, etc.

also, blogger has so many great options now for revamping the look of a blog. sooner or later i need to do that too. d'oh! so many things to get to in life!

Deals, Steals and Heels said...

i wanna see the campaign just because zach has PUGS!!! plus, i think will ferrell is all sorts of hilarious.

and the restaurant sign is my life motto.

bananas. said...

i'm intrigued by that honor restaurant...although i'm not one to flock to hipster joints...

on purpose anyway.

but that sign kinda won me over.

Micaela said...

i wasn't crazy to see "The Campaign" (though i laugh every time they mention the "filipinos" during the previews lol) but now i can't wait to see it!!! that may have to be our next movie date :)

oh if only i could be your roommate!

mmm matt's meal looks delish. seriously, nothing says love more to me than feeding my belly ;)

i wish i knew HTML to help out but you know i'm just as clueless :p but i LOVE your new blog header. LOVE! and i'm about to update your button on my blog. xo

melifaif said...

I am in love with that meal. Can I borrow Chef Matty Boy??? :)

Kim @ wanderlustee.com said...

ok i really wanted to see the campaign but felipe doesnt think it looks funny....well im gonna overrule him on this one.

also, THANK YOU about the southern accents. do you watch true blood (i dont anymore, but that's a different story) ? tara's accent drives me insane!! what's so hard about doing a southern accent...then again maybe bc i heard it all the time growing up it's easy (i don't have one though!)

in other news, i love southern accents. hahah

glad you had a relaxing weekend!!

Christina said...

I saw The Campaign too and was pleasantly surprised! Zach totally won me over!